What is TWS good for?

rami80

I'm talking about the systems. But ok, since you want a list:

The RWR is missing contact classification features (eg. brightness indicating the state of an active emitter, dashed lines for faded emitters, relative altitude display, unique sounds for a given emitter and its modes ... )

TWS is missing several sub-modes.

TWS is missing actual track memory capability, and that's a huge dead.

TWS is missing any type of target memory ... also a huge deal.

TWS should be able to designate 10 tracks plus display another 16 half-tracks.

The SAM modes are missing.

The RAID mode is missing.

Mini-raster is not implemented.

FLOOD is not well-implemented. It's supposed to activate automatically.

This radar should switch PRFs automatically depending on certain circumstances.

Long range boresight is not implemented.

GACQ is not correctly implemented.

Velocity search mode is missing.

SuperSearch mode is missing.

AACQ modes should be slewable.

MAR bars, missile-fly-out dots and FOM display are missing.

Quick-step and automatic TWS designation functionality is missing.

Relative bearing to selected steerpoint is missing.

SNIFF and BEACON modes are missing.

NCTR is incorrectly implemented.

RGH mode is not implemented.

AOJ ranging mode is missing.

Manual radar engagement mode is missing.

MPCD SIT display is missing.

CMDS programs are missing.

And that's just the old stuff, I'm not even getting into data-links, AESA radars and other fun things :)

Imagine the scary things the F-22 and F-35 can do ... Golden Eagles, too.

The devil's in the details though.

I would pay big money to get these implemented in the DCS F-15C! :thumbup:

The TWS is amazing in the Su and especially the MiG, it's just unusable in most cases due to ECM.

Agreed. It is all about how you use the aircraft and supporting systems present in the scenario. I've always found the Su-27 to be quite a capable aircraft as long as I fly it to it's strengths and control exposure of its weaknesses. Of course there are many servers out there which basically only host "quakefest" scenarios without any sort of supporting assets in a theater which would be used to support an Su-27 or F-15C. Rarely will you find me on them.

well, AWACS support improves the su immensely. people grouse about the buggy 'ghost' contacts but honestly just look at the screen for 10 seconds, the ones that move aren't ghost contacts.

i don't see exactly how it's a showstopper exactly.

p2p datalink when though thanks

well, AWACS support improves the su immensely. people grouse about the buggy 'ghost' contacts but honestly just look at the screen for 10 seconds, the ones that move aren't ghost contacts.

i don't see exactly how it's a showstopper exactly.

p2p datalink when though thanks

Definitely agree, and I think that having the DL in MP would also introduce an interesting tactical choice for both sides: as red air, you have AWACS and/or EWR, which gives you your datalink view of the battlespace, but they're assets that you really, REALLY have to protect if you want to enjoy the advantage they give your team. As blue air, you'll then want to deny that advantage to red air by conducting HVAA kill missions.

It'd be nice if more servers went beyond air quake. As much as I appreciate the efforts of all the MP server admins, if I wanted to play "quake" I'd fire up Unreal Tournament...

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I am currently taking a look into flying the Su-27 and am less-than-impressed by the TWS mode.

The manual says:

Another BVR combat mode is "СНП" (Track-While-Scan or TWS). It is activated from the "ОБЗ" (SCAN) mode by pressing [RAlt-I]. The radar can correlate tracks for up to 10 targets simultaneously in "СНП" (TWS). The main distinction from SCAN mode is that the radar retains target parameters, like elevation and velocity vector, while continuing to search for additional targets.

Shouldn't I get that data displayed then? Current TWS mode does nothing of that. I don't get any information on target speed, altitude, vector, nothing (all the things that the F-15C TWS provides). All it does for me is to provide a quick lock-on when within 85% of WEZ while displaying other targets up to that point.

ED, is this really the only thing that the Su-27 TWS is supposed to do when even your own manual states target parameters like elevation and velocity vector?

50 минут назад, Volator сказал:

I am currently taking a look into flying the Su-27 and am less-than-impressed by the TWS mode.

The manual says:

Shouldn't I get that data displayed then? Current TWS mode does nothing of that. I don't get any information on target speed, altitude, vector, nothing (all the things that the F-15C TWS provides). All it does for me is to provide a quick lock-on when within 85% of WEZ while displaying other targets up to that point.

ED, is this really the only thing that the Su-27 TWS is supposed to do when even your own manual states target parameters like elevation and velocity vector?

When you have no support from AWACS or other fighters the datalink screen displays only targets that your radar sees. In TWS it displays targets detected by the radar the same way it would if you had datalink support. There is no difference on the HUD apart from what you describe. That's really all the purpose of TWS: to improve own situational awareness, participate in datalink and hold the lock without alerting the target too much. Contact elevation and speed is displayed on the datalink screen on the symbols with the course line (the longer the faster) and the line perpendicular to that that looks like the hilt of a small sword (the longer the higher).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To illustrate what WarbossPetross is referring to, here’s something I began years ago but never published. If the link works correctly, it’ll bring you in at the right point.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that, since both Search (Scan) and TWS provide info such as speed, altitude, and velocity vector, the practical distinction between the two is that TWS allows you to designate your target. Once designated, the radar continues to follow it as it changes altitude, etc.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.