[CORRECT AS IS] APKWS Protruding too much?

AvroLanc

Not to pick holes in a product before it's been released but I've noticed in the pre-release stuff that APKWS rockets seem too protrude a lot (too much?) from the launcher pods.

In all of the external shots and an internal one from Wag's latest video the rockets themselves seem to stick out of the pod alot more than the reference photos.

Possibly the M282 warhead makes a longer rocket but Wags had a mix of the M251 and 282 and they all stick out the same amount as seen on exterior shots.

Please see photos attached. Is this still WIP? Makes it look a bit odd.

2042351320_APKWSPod1.thumb.png.7ba17b9fc8f1f6d78a22ca3294ef95fd.png

331019966_A-10APKWS.thumb.jpg.928ab8c77c275a246853e40003b414b3.jpg

1461841862_APKWS2.jpg.9eb5af3a4baf9784751e452f2b09941b.jpg

I noticed that too. They look almost half launched already :p

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

That's an extended launcher on those pictures.

That's correct, it's a variant of the LAU-131/LAU-68. The LAU-68F/A & LAU-131A/A are about 11 inches longer than the LAU-68D/A & LAU-131/A.

https://www.arnolddefense.com/product/lau-131-a/

Hopefully these new versions get added.

ASUS TUF GAMING X670E with AMD RYZEN 5 7600X, 64GB DDR4, ASUS TUF GAMING 4080

Pico 4, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Formally Known As: wpnssgt (google it :smilewink: )

That's an extended launcher on those pictures.

hmmm...ok. What's an extended launcher? A Lau-131 with an extension modification with APKWS specifically in mind? Shouldn't our model have that as well?

Is this something we'll likely see? I'm going to feel self conscious flying around with my rockets poking out.

(Edit: Sparkchaser provides the answer.)

Edited by AvroLanc

Oh pretty please ED include the extended launchers pleeease

making those longer variants (from/based on the basic shorter LAU-68/131 3D models: re-vertexing, re-UVW-maping, re-texturing) takes/needs only a few minutes for an experienced 3D modeler

however: i would be curious what are the advantages of those extended length launchers

...maybe:

increased stability and safety ? (for rockets in the tubes)

increased muzzle/tube leaving velocity ? (increased launching pressure)

increased accuracy ? (only for unguided or for guided rocket variants as well) ???

btw: would be nice to get the longer/larger LAU-61 G/A Digital Rocket Launcher as well, which allows using mixed rockets/warheads

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

however: i would be curious what are the advantages of those extended length launchers

...maybe:

increased stability and safety ? (for rockets in the tubes)

increased muzzle/tube leaving velocity ? (increased launching pressure)

increased accuracy ? (only for unguided or for guided rocket variants as well)

Not an a10 pilot and don’t have any 1st hand knowledge, but there were issues early on, at least in development, where the rocket motor exhaust causing damage over time to the laser sensor of other rockets in the launcher (even though they’re ~center of rocket). I don’t think that’s what that is though. Again, basically an educated guess but I remember something about a variant or 2nd gen, at least for some platforms, that is longer and would be likely cause for longer launcher.

I hate it when people spread bad info here with posts that start with “I think” and I am breaking my own rule here, but this forum is pretty slow still. I’m sure someone that knows what they’re talking about will come around eventually and correct me.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

So can anyone confirm that the short Lau-131 is legal and technically capable as far as APKWS is concerned. If so then totally fine.

It’s just I’m struggling to find any pictures of A10’s or indeed any fast jet with the short pod + APKWS combo. I’m more than willing to be pointed in the right direction.

If I'm remembering correctly one of the reasons we didn't carry them on my deployment in 15/16 was we didn't have the longer rocket pods (LAU-131A/A or LAU-68F/A). I don't recall ever seeing them loaded on the legacy pods personally. Reading through the dash 34 it states AGR-20 laser guided rockets are loaded in the LAU-131A/A or LAU68F/A. No mention of them being loaded in the legacy rocket pods.

Would be nice to get the LAU-131A/A and LAU-68F/A added.

https://www.arnolddefense.com/product/lau-131-a-2/

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2012/armaments/Tuesday14006paras.pdf

short or long doesnt matter.

longer is heavier.

It's only about a 12 pounds different between the 131A (66.66 LBS) and the 131A/A (78.5 LBS) but according to the A-10C-1-1 drag index is the same for the short and long pods (0.80).

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...