HSI isn't showing optimum glide-slope needle for non Russian ILS landings and ADI bug

Baz000

HSI isn't showing optimum glide-slope needle for non Russian ILS landings

play the Su-27 traning mission where you land at Beslan in the middle of the thunderstorm narrated by Wags and when you look at the HSI the solid white needles do not move to indicate optimum glide-slope as Wags narrates.

Also the yellow ADI needles and the white deviation bars for altitude are not matching each other same problem too with assigned altitude on the HUD on top left corner the small numbers and the altitude the steering circle is telling you to be at are like 200m off from each other.

HSI isn't showing optimum glide-slope needle for non Russian ILS landings

play the Su-27 traning mission where you land at Beslan in the middle of the thunderstorm narrated by Wags and when you look at the HSI the solid white needles do not move to indicate optimum glide-slope as Wags narrates.

Also the yellow ADI needles and the white deviation bars for altitude are not matching each other same problem too with assigned altitude on the HUD on top left corner the small numbers and the altitude the steering circle is telling you to be at are like 200m off from each other.

Not sure why that’s in the tutorial about the HSI. Beslan isn’t equipped (IIRC) with the PRMG system (Russian ILS), so there would be nothing to drive the indicators on the HSI.

As for the assigned altitude not matching that’s been an ongoing concern. I just follow the director circle.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

in the tutorial Wags says even though it doesn't have Russian ILS system the HSI needles should show you the optimum glide slope and steer you to that..

The tutorial and voice over is quite old (2012/2014 ?) and dates from a time when DCS didn't differentiate between western ILS / russian PRMG and the HSI needles worked as the voice over describes.

I'm not sure when DCS's ILS/PRMG became discrete systems for FC3 aircraft, perhaps 1.2.8 / 2015 ? After that the HSI needles in the Su-25T, Su-27, etc. stopped working with western ILS, however the ADI's flight director and deviation needles do continue to work.

RxIGHzO.jpg

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

in the tutorial Wags says even though it doesn't have Russian ILS system the HSI needles should show you the optimum glide slope and steer you to that...

start at 4-20

As Ramsay notes, the “ bug” is in the tutorial instruction, not the instrument. The tutorial is quite old. So old in fact that, at the time it was created, airbase lighting came on automatically at dusk. Now, of course, you need to call inbound to light the runway. Anyone who doesn’t know that and just follows the instruction finds themselves landing in a thunderstorm at night on a dark runway.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

still when you do have ILS the assigned altitudes and what the director circle and ADI needles point you to are way off

Yes, they are different. The assigned altitude matches the ME. The others, OTOH, guide you down accurately.

_____

but is that intended that way or is it a bug? Because when you are at assigned altitude the deviation bar for altitude should be inside the white circle and the yellow needles should be centered unless i'm wrong

If I look at my YT channel videos from three years ago, everything coincides. At some point after that, the dichotomy appeared. There have been posts made about it but, so far, it remains as you see. At one point an explanation was given that the ME and cockpit use two different methods of determining altitude. I forget the particulars and also who proffered the explanation. At any rate, it’s been this way for several years. So if it’s a bug, there’s no sense of urgency concerning it.

_____