The AH-64 Apache Thread

Piffer

I know what you mean:

HAHAHAHA Great! :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because there's a big difference between clipping thin branches of trees and clipping trees. ;)

And making lightweight composite blades that have 0 strike resistance (ok, not needed, the vibration will kill you anyway, blah, blah, BUT, better set it down with vibration than ending the day in a 10ft hole.

So is that Bo-105 sped-up video from the eighties (awesome btw), if it had honeycomb lightweight crap blades it would be doing tricks in a ditch.

Chinook blades, eeeek. I know the Mi-26 uses a cellulose filler (paper), so no tree trimming with that one either. Come to think of it, all choppers are death traps.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

I have a photo somewhere of an Apache rotor blade pierced by a 30mm projectile ... it made it back just fine ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

While I was in the 101st Airborne, one of our Apaches hit a tree and we just wrapped it in duct tape and flew it back to the airfield. It made a terrible WOP sound like a single-bladed Huey.

I have also seen Apache's put the tail rotor into some branches and get pretty dented and banged up and the pilots didn't even know it until the post-flight.

Then again, I have also seen an Mi-17 strike a wooden pallet that took several pockets out of two of the main rotor blades, with the honeycomb filler coming apart, and all they got was a slight vibration.

In general, though, helicopters ARE deathtraps in the sense that they are not really designed to run into large, heavy objects and continue to fly.

• Like 1

If he had added that they sprayed WD-40 on it, I would have more confidence in them :D

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

^^ the army is held together by duct tape...

of course heli's are death traps... the wings go faster then the rest of the craft.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Come to think of it, all choppers are death traps.

Think twice ;)

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Insane people :)

What I find a bit interesting is that the helo dropped from just above ground, around a meter or so - and the gears collapsed under it. According to elemental physics Lesson 1, it should not be quicker than ~10m/s - how much can the Apache stand? (I remember of a 5 or 6 m/s crash-land survivability but I'm not sure about it)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

Insane people :)

What I find a bit interesting is that the helo dropped from just above ground, around a meter or so - and the gears collapsed under it. According to elemental physics Lesson 1, it should not be quicker than ~10m/s - how much can the Apache stand? (I remember of a 5 or 6 m/s crash-land survivability but I'm not sure about it)

Yeah thats strange indeed. I guess the apache is not that tough after all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

More to it in the fact that Apache gears aren't retractable so it makes me question it's general sturdiness! Similar thing happened to a Croatian Hind back in 1999, pilot took off and retracted gear but helo suddenly lost lift and touched the ground with it's belly. More throttle and he was back up to lower the gear and to land safely and investigate the damage. Some sensors in the nose were lost but belly panels had no visible damage! I think I still have some photos of that helo. It was decommissioned in 2003 and now sits in ZTZ research center!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The landing gear on the Apache are specifically designed in order to collapse to reduce the forces imparted on the crew. Perhaps they should have built it strong enough so that the gear would have remained perfectly intact, but at the cost of severe back injuries for the crew? In other words, "survivability" means the survival of the crew, not the aircraft. I've worked on both Apaches and Hinds, and there is no comparison, the Apache is far more crashworthy than a Hind.

Also, there is a significant chunk of video missing, so we don't know exactly what happened (perhaps the pilot saw the object and tried to increase power to get away from it, resulting in a fall from much higher than we can see in the video.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

AHA-64A operations TM

found this on the net..you guys may want to take a look.. http://beta-api.joggle.com/media/?media_id=62A49C2BC6474A82BD4A6CB81A29576D&sitename=bfam

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

it may take a few mins to load its about 26 megs....just give it a lil time to download its worth the wait i think..5x5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

• 1 month later...

Apache sound

Looking at numerous Apache videos, people wonder why the targets often don't seem to hear this threat from above, they just don't react accordingly, keeping doing their business when it's time to run and hide.

What's the explanation?

There's a speculation about Apache: it's sounding really quiet in certain conditions - for example, when being observed in forward aspect, flying fairly slow. Can it be confirmed? Videos shot on the ground can't be really convincing because of microphones not always recording sound the way they're heard by our ears.