F8F-2 Bearcat Dev Diary

• 1 month later...

PMan, I have a question about the modeling process if you don't mind, while we're waiting for the Bearcat's debut. Does your team take into account the toughness of the landing gear and surrounding structure when building a carrier capable aircraft? I mean, you have no doubt seen the pictures or films of aircraft going through drop tests by their manufacturers in the process of qualifying one of theirs for a navy contract. I am just wondering if the damage model for the landing gear will be beefed up sufficiently to allow for carrier operations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PMan, I have a question about the modeling process if you don't mind, while we're waiting for the Bearcat's debut. Does your team take into account the toughness of the landing gear and surrounding structure when building a carrier capable aircraft? I mean, you have no doubt seen the pictures or films of aircraft going through drop tests by their manufacturers in the process of qualifying one of theirs for a navy contract. I am just wondering if the damage model for the landing gear will be beefed up sufficiently to allow for carrier operations.

That would actually be dealt with within the coding system, the model will purely be the mesh that you look at. The strength and robustness of the gear itself will be as close as we can get to the real deal.

Obviously until carrier ops are more integrated within DCS its hard to tell, we wont be doing alot of testing on the modern carriers in the sim as they are not appropriate for WW2 carrier landings, As / When we implement WW2 carriers we will have alot closer look at it

Pman

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the modeler has had some serious health issues. He's on a good road to recovery but this has had an impact on our expected development for the Bearcat.

We're currently evaluating the impact and will post something up soon.

With regards to the other systems, all is going well.

Thanks,

Chris.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear the gentleman is doing better Ells! Best wishes on future endeavors to him! :thumbup: Also, glad the Bearcat is coming along! Can't wait to see the next updates as they are ready! Best wishes to the VEAO family!

Edited by Cool Breeze
minor typo

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 2 weeks later...

How's progress? I can't wait, the F8F was astoundingly capable for a prop! Very excited

"We carried out many trials to try to find the answer to the fast, low-level intruder, but there is no adequate defense."

— Air Vice-Marshal J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson, RAF

Can't charge us all

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
They do, however you will see the Red max line on the RPM is along way before that ;)

Some high supped Stangs can go to 72" Manifold now :)

Pman

Pman, the P-51 I raced at Reno would usually be configured to pull 145" of Manifold Pressure at 5000' MSL, 3400 RPM and 465-470 IAS under 3-5 G's using 160-180 octane equivalent. It would be very abnormal for a P51 Guy to pull more than 61" and 3000 turns in flight or on Takeoff. With 100LL fuel, you wouldn't want to go any higher due to the very high chance of detonation. Thats why they ran 130-145 in the old days. When they ran WEP or War Emergency Power which is anything from 62-67", they were very suspicious of engine life.

Glad to participate here. Keep up the good work!

Will Whiteside

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.

• 3 months later...

It's currently being remodelled at the moment.

When we have some updates we'll post them up.

The project has been delayed due to hospitalisation of the original modeller (he's ok now) and we had to re-allocate it to another modeller.