controls very sensitive, curves? TMWH MFG?

Having taken off, shot down some 'Jerries', can you RTB, land and not have the ground crew do a complete rebuild ready for the next sorte?

Ron,

the only problem with the Spitfire IX in DCS in it's present pre-release / beta version is the absence of proper rudder feedback forces with dynamic pressure.

Using good "curves" for pitch and roll, as well as yaw, can help quite a lot.

It's a charming model, but of course we can't really compare these models to anything for MSFS / P3D, even A2A stuff - no way they're even by far comparable, unless we take systems modelling into consideration, which A2A does great too...

The P51 in DCS behaves just as we can glimpse from videos, such as, for instance this one:

You don't see any "fighting with the controls" or huge rudder inputs, both on takeoff and during approach & landing....

Regarding the Spitfire, sometime ago I posted this link to a video showing a flight, including takeoff and landing, on a Spitfire:

Watch the perspective towards the tail, starting 02:40, and then the landing, and see the dancing on the rudder - you can also listen to the brakes being applied...

I am yet to find so close a resemblance in a simulated Spitfire, in ANY sim I have used, to what we get with this DCS module Ron...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Having taken off, shot down some 'Jerries', can you RTB, land and not have the ground crew do a complete rebuild ready for the next sorte?

Sure can. It's not too hard as long as you don't rush it. Once touch down has happened a lot of pedal dancing is required to include braking. Of course very light braking! Landing the Spit isn't tough if given a proper approach but she doesn't like combat landings where you bank into the final. She won't respond nimbly once in landing configuration.

I approach (not always, but the best landings...) a few miles out turn on final. RPM is forward like it is on takeoff. Carb vent forward, but this won't affect handling. I control the approach speed to 140mph. I don't ride the glideslope but instead pitch for deck just before the threshold. Flaps are down early and I trim so that constant pressure can be applied to the stick to maintain flight attitude. Trimming to neutral stick usually results in a pilot induced oscillation due to the 'floaty' response of the Spit at 140mph. Keeping pressure on the stick keeps the plane in a more reactionary state to stick inputs and its easier to make corrections.

Once the the field is assured (you'd make it if your engine failed) then I reduce speed to 120mph. Just before the runway threshold begin a slow flare while reducing throttle. This takes some practice and judgement. The Spit will ride the bubble down the runway pretty far and then drop you abruptly if your timing is off. Reducing speed while flaring nose up to make a three wheel landing is the optimum goal. Everything should be gradual and gentle. Once down your feet will be very busy keeping her strait. Keep the stick full aft while you tame the girl to a safe taxi speed. Don't rush the braking, use the whole length of the runway.

Most mindset I see online; Every landing always seems to be final, and everyone tries to save it. If the approach goes bad, then go around. Your subconscious will file that in, that didn't go so well box, instead of meh I'm on the ground anyway I'll just spawn a new aircraft. The touch and go is a timeless pilot training tool that's never been out of style.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

.... but she doesn't like combat landings where you bank into the final. She won't respond nimbly once in landing configuration.

I approach (not always, but the best landings...) a few miles out turn on final..

Can't say I agree there Scrape, but each to their own...

In my experience a classic Spitfire curved approach is key to keep the runway in sight all the way around base & finals so that you can be sure you're lined up.

It avoids the necessity of kicking any cross control inputs in to see the runway if it disappears under the nose, and hence destabilising the airframe.

However, if it works for you then it works - as the saying goes your mileage may vary.

Ron, checkout this vid - it might help:

Otherwise, if you'd like a little one-to-one on multiplayer sometime I would be happy critique your current landing technique and assist in ironing out some of the bumps! PM me if you're interested.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

well I can say that rudder trimmer is very fast in the sense that fine trimming of rudder is too fast.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

:thumbup:

but can still be related to forces not yet having been modelled on the rudder.

yes but in cruise its painful to hold it with actual rudder opposing a trim..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.