Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level?

Kongamato

Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level?

Not only do I wish they would do the N-model but also give us some more trainer aircraft, the T-38C would be ideal, even if they only made it single cockpit. Most of the work would already be done, at the very least give us a cockpit upgrade option that can be locked out by mission editors or something, where we could get the T-38C avionics for training. I wonder if it would be possible to mod the cockpit in a way to get something close?

A T-38C would require far more work than simply a cockpit mod. While the T-38 and F-5 are very closely related, they differ significantly in a few ways. The F-5 has slats and leading-edge extensions. The T-38 has only trailing-edge flaps, with no automatic function like the F-5E. The T-38 also has much weaker engines.

If I remember correctly, IRIS was contracted to do a T-38C for DCS, but that has sadly long since fallen through. Our best hope would be for ED to bring Milviz into the fold of third-party developers since they have a complete T-38C for P3D, developed and tweaked in collaboration with U.S. Air Force Instructor Pilots.

... Most of the work would already be done...

It's not a crime to be wrong or to not understand how a different model, different aerodynamics due to different flight surfaces, different avionics, even slightly is not "most" of the work already done, but it is not good to assume such with such a sweeping statement.

You could look at it a different way. How long has BS3 cockpit update taken? The A-10C cockpit model update? You don't _need_ to know how much work is involved at all, all you need to know is how long it does actually take ED to do.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

i wish i could shift my vote from "depends on the cost" to a solid "no"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

If anything i would prefer some older, actually combat, version like F-5A from mid 1960s when this bird was a danger for most enemies. Or an early 1970s F-5E variant with original AN/APQ-153 pulse radar and without RWR which came into service parallel with MiG-21bis.

F-5N is a trainer in era of 4th and 5th gen fighters totally outclassed in every respect. Flying agressor is also nice but not as inspiring as fight real war in an able fighter against comparable opposition.

There were about 630-650 F-5A and only a handful (36 pieces?) F-5N.

But the best option would be just an overhaul of current E variant.

honestly dont get too obessed with exact service dates, becuase there isnt always a time in history where 2 adversaries are evenly matched. What you also need to consider is that evne with how the F5E is currently represented most of its campaigns and missions are in fact centered around training in the Nevada NTTR anyways.

Its like saying whats the point of the Mig23MLA when it came into operational use at time when USA already had the F14A for a few years with the F15A entering operational use around the same year? you can easily just sick it against oponents from a similar technological footing or era for balance IE against a F4E or F4J phantom, if they were in game.

What you dont realizie is that the F5N is literally an F5E under different nomenclature that the navy assigned it, just not the "vanilla" type of F5E that USAF operated. F5N's are buyback of retired Swiss F5E's that happened to have a few extra avionics, like digital radios, and an INS to the current F5E. Although actual USAF F5E's had neither CM suite nor RWR, hence why if a remodel happens there aught to be a split for 2 variations like the P51D25 and D30 for ww2 aspect of dcs. SO just because they navy didnt buy them until early 2000's doesnt mean they didn't exist in such configuration at an earlier date with swiss air force.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I hope that when ED updates the F-5 it will be at least updated for that version of the video. Set at 16:50 ... :beer:

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

• 2 years later...

Just throwing a pitch:

I'd like to see a Community Made F-20 Tigershark, made on a "what if" hypothetical basis. The team could call itself "Phoenix Mods" and work exclusively resurrecting rejected designs, like the American Grumman F-11 Tiger, the British TSR-2, the Russian Yak-141 or the Canadian Avro CF-105 Arrow. Lots of material arround!

In the case of the Tigershark, accurate data is technically available, and since the real project was cancelled, there should be no "security concerns". It had the same radar as the F-16A, could carry more missiles (even a couple Sparrows) than the F-5E, evening the odds against, say, Mirage F-1s, and the thrust-to-weight ratio would really let it go toe-to-toe with the Mig-21bis.

Well, just saying. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

An upgrade of the F-5 would be worth if it would be a version that can carry more than 2AAMs.. has an actual HUD and at least as option those fixed inflight refuel probes .. plenty of variants with those upgrades in the 80s..

Getting one of the fancy later modified versions with MFDs would be quite a streetch being realistic.. but one can dream. The Spanish modernized F-5Bs used as trainers got a T-38C style cockpit and MFDs so its known stuff at least..

Otherwise leave it as it is or at least fix the bugs that have been unfixed for ages (wings breaking off in merges with bandits or other absurd situations or the ADI going out of alignment when cold starting constantly).. not worth an upgrade just to get INS and a modern radio..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1