Operation Secret Squirrel - F-86 Sabre vs MiG-15bis

Operation Secret Squirrel is a persistent, open world PvE/PvP playground for the Caucasus in lieu of not having a map for Korea. It has been built to provide a fun dogfight area for the Sabre and MiG-15. This mission uses similar mechanics to what Operation Snowfox uses for the Persian Gulf map. The mission utilizes Moose functions and custom scripts which have been included in the mission file. It is also using NoLove's new A2A CAP Zone routines to allow for more organic intercepts.

To allow the mission to provide persistency, it is necessary to de-sanitize 'lfs' and 'io' in MissionScripting.lua. The mission will still be able to run without this, but persistency won't happen.

Please note the following:

- WW2 Assets pack is required as the mission uses some infantry/trucks/flak in lieu of Korean War era assets

- Both red and blue coalitions have some ground attack missions to do, only a handful each as this is mainly a dogfight map for the Sabre and MiG-15

- P-51D-30 is also available to use, and if the F-4U Corsair ever gets released, I'll add that in as well

- Radio menu options are available to skip the current mission, get the current objective, and get a target report in the same fashion as Operation Snowfox etc

To Enable Persistency:

Inside your DCS installation there is a folder called Scripts. Inside that there is a file called MissionScripting.lua, if you want persistency to work, edit this file (make a backup first if you like) and make the bit that looks like this:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

sanitizeModule('io')

sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Look like this instead:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

--sanitizeModule('io')

--sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Once you have done that, start DCS and launch the mission. The mission will then write out a list of dead units and statics to a pair of lua files inside the DCS root folder (it will update this list periodically, every 2.5 minutes at the moment). Once these files exist, the mission will load those files when it starts up and remove the units and statics that were previously destroyed so you can pick up where you left off

Note: MissionScripting.lua will need to be changed any time an update or repair is run.

Download here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3306916/

Edited by Surrexen

Loaded up the 1.01 and I had a blast. Enjoying it very much. The skill level of the enemy seems to be spot on for me. I was even able to go out on 3 air to air sorties and return to base to refuel and re-arm. Fourth time out however, I did get shot down. But then I suck at A2A combat. ;)

Encountered no errors that could see.

Thanks Again.:thumbup:

Loaded up the 1.01 and I had a blast. Enjoying it very much. The skill level of the enemy seems to be spot on for me. I was even able to go out on 3 air to air sorties and return to base to refuel and re-arm. Fourth time out however, I did get shot down. But then I suck at A2A combat. ;)

Encountered no errors that could see.

Thanks Again.:thumbup:

Yeah cool. I've set the AI level to 'good' for all flights instead of random as I normally do as it seems that if they are random and pull 'excellent' skill, then you end up with a bit too much UFO behaviour. Good skill seemed spot on to me as well so far :thumbup:

v102 is up

Changelog v102

- Sounds added for aerial kills, mission succeses, mission start etc. A few of the aerial kill sounds are WW2 sounds as Korean War aerial radio sounds are rather hard to find, but there are a couple in there. Also since I can't find anything usable for North Korea, red coalition will use the allied sounds.

you could use russian :)

that's what USAF pilots were hearing over the radio then, not korean.

Haha yes I suppose so, but again, finding usable material for the Korean War isn't as easy as I'd thought it might be. Seems to be they recorded plenty of gun camera but almost no radio *shrug* at least not that I have found thus far anyway.

Haha yes I suppose so, but again, finding usable material for the Korean War isn't as easy as I'd thought it might be. Seems to be they recorded plenty of gun camera but almost no radio *shrug* at least not that I have found thus far anyway.

If I had to do that I'd simply get some gibberish from movies, add some static radio effect on it and use it.

I'd have no idea what would the dialogs be saying but who cares (besides russian players but then they will complain in russian :D )

on a more serious note, you could try recording audios of the standard DCS radio messages and use those.

a massive work yes, but it could be doable.

If I had to do that I'd simply get some gibberish from movies, add some static radio effect on it and use it.

I'd have no idea what would the dialogs be saying but who cares (besides russian players but then they will complain in russian :D )

on a more serious note, you could try recording audios of the standard DCS radio messages and use those.

a massive work yes, but it could be doable.

Can't go taking things from movies, games etc due to potential copyright issues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

v106 up

Changelog v106

Operation Secret Squirrel and Jupiter

1. Radio option to smoke the current objective added, to avoid the potential for smoke spamming on skip mission etc, the smoke is on a 5 minute cooldown. There is a seperate cooldown for each coalition, and the smoke colour is different for each coalition (red coalition mark with blue smoke, blue coalition mark with red).

2. Persistency script changed to not explode statics, just cleanly remove them

3. Briefings for Secret Squirrel Blue Coalition Enguri Dam Flak Battery targets have been corrected

4. Various script fixes and improvements

• 1 month later...

v107 is up

IMPORTANT: It is highly recommended to start new progress files for this update, therefore remove your SquirrelUnitInterment.lua and SquirrelStaticInterment.lua files from your DCS World installation folder before starting the mission.

Changelog v107

1. A 2.5.6 compatible Moose version has been added

2. An extra flight of F-86 client slots has been added

3. Infantry units have been set to not disperse under fire so they don't go hiding in trees etc

4. Target report clearview added to the text output

Thank you for this mission. It is working excellent. I put it up on my dedicated server as a playground environment for pilots to jump into as they get the time.

I need to learn how to make the server restart the mission every few hours but so far it is working great and those who have flown it have nothing but good things to say about it.

Thank you for this mission. It is working excellent. I put it up on my dedicated server as a playground environment for pilots to jump into as they get the time.

I need to learn how to make the server restart the mission every few hours but so far it is working great and those who have flown it have nothing but good things to say about it.

That's awesome, I haven't had a lot of feedback on this one really ... I suppose because not as many people play Korean era jets?? Anyway, I'm glad you like it :thumbup:

I have received excellent feedback on the mission. The pilots really seem to like it. The only criticism is on the repetitive nature of the downed sabre/mig15 calls. I wonder if it is possible to randomize those?

I did add a large bomber group for the sabres to go up and knock down. I had to use B17s as I could not get soviet B29s.

A donation is inbound, and thank you again!

I have received excellent feedback on the mission. The pilots really seem to like it. The only criticism is on the repetitive nature of the downed sabre/mig15 calls. I wonder if it is possible to randomize those?

I did add a large bomber group for the sabres to go up and knock down. I had to use B17s as I could not get soviet B29s.

A donation is inbound, and thank you again!

The sounds are random but I need to expand the sound set. Finding material was really hard for this one. If you know some good sources of Korean War era air combat radio calls, do let me know and I'll get onto it :thumbup:

I will keep an eye out for some.

I have a question about your LUA file. I am just learning MOOSE (and LUA), it appears that you load a custom moose lua file rather than the default. I have been trying to get a bomber group to respawn on landing or destruction but with no luck. I can do it in a different mission that I create using moose.lua.

I will keep an eye out for some.

I have a question about your LUA file. I am just learning MOOSE (and LUA), it appears that you load a custom moose lua file rather than the default. I have been trying to get a bomber group to respawn on landing or destruction but with no luck. I can do it in a different mission that I create using moose.lua.

That is correct the Moose version I am using in the mission is not the default, it has been butchered for various reasons that I won't go into here. If you are planning on learning Moose, learn using the default one first. Alternatively look at the code in Operation Snowfox for something like the AWACS plane to see how you can do what you are trying to achieve.

Edit: Even better, look at how the red bomber attack works in Operation Snowfox.