F5-E BLACK SEA RESOLVE '79 Campaign

SorelRo

Hey Ralph,

This will take you through a variety of scenarios. AA Interceptions and CAP, there are quite a lot of CAP missions taking you through various scenarios, depending on the ground situation.

You will have AG missions as well. WildWeasel, done the hard way, bombs and rockets and guns. IronHand missions. Suppression of AA and IR threats.

You will have to be involved in SAR missions and provide CAP/CAS.

Just take it one mission at a a time. The missions are doable by a good pilot with good SA skills.

In this campaign you will work a lot with F-4's. F-4's have a longer reach than you so keep that in mind.

Cheers,

Hi SorelRo, just a quick question.

What is the main condition in order to progress to the next mission? Does it depend on the type of mission?

Is it mandatory to have success in your tasks 100%, or the player could progress depending on the final score for example?

Hi SorelRo, just a quick question.

What is the main condition in order to progress to the next mission? Does it depend on the type of mission?

Is it mandatory to have success in your tasks 100%, or the player could progress depending on the final score for example?

The conditions vary from mission to mission. There only constant requirement is that you must land back to your base or to the designated landing airport.

And your score has to hit 100 to be able to pass to the new mission.

Where are you struggling?

Cheers,

Sorel

The conditions vary from mission to mission. There only constant requirement is that you must land back to your base or to the designated landing airport.

And your score has to hit 100 to be able to pass to the new mission.

Where are you struggling?

Cheers,

Sorel

I just had the query since on my initial attempt me and my flight managed to shoot down the 5 Su-24, but save 9/10 ships. So I could not progress to the next mission.

However, I just completed successfully the 2nd mission of protecting the whole cargo ship fleet, and passed over to the 3rd mission.

Also, the MIGs on the 3rd mission seemed to ignore the whole battle! good news for my flight!

Edited by sdaskalo

I just had the query since on my initial attempt me and my flight managed to shoot down the 5 Su-24, but save 9/10 ships. So I could not progress to the next mission.

However, I just completed successfully the 2nd mission of protecting the whole cargo ship fleet, and passed over to the 3rd mission.

Also, the MIGs on the 3rd mission seemed to ignore the whole battle! good news for my flight!

AI is a very interesting beast. You have no idea on the amount of swearing and cursing being said towards the AI when i built this thing. :D

• Like 1

AI is a very interesting beast. You have no idea on the amount of swearing and cursing being said towards the AI when i built this thing. :D

Totally, understandable...

Quick question:

I am a bit confused on the 4th mission where the Russians evade to our airport at Krasnodar with their helicopters. The task is CAP and fighter sweep, but....I mean, there are tons of these choppers !

Me and my flight are shooting down about half of them, but we are all running out of ammo eventually...

Are we supposed to eliminate all of them to complete the mission?

I am thinking of going back to rearm and refuel!

Totally, understandable...

Quick question:

I am a bit confused on the 4th mission where the Russians evade to our airport at Krasnodar with their helicopters. The task is CAP and fighter sweep, but....I mean, there are tons of these choppers !

Me and my flight are shooting down about half of them, but we are all running out of ammo eventually...

Are we supposed to eliminate all of them to complete the mission?

I am thinking of going back to rearm and refuel!

You need to shot down more of the transport carrier choppers. Don't focus on the support MI-8

Cheers,

Sorel

Hey Ralphk,

No voiceovers for now on this one. And I don't think that TACAN navigation would have been available in this scenario. Late 70's in a foreign country I'm assuming that the Nav would have been done similar to Vietnam. A lot of compass and clock and ground references.

TACAN was developed in the 50s and available during the Vietnam war. But as you stated the Soviet Union used another system.

TACAN was developed in the 50s and available during the Vietnam war. But as you stated the Soviet Union used another system.

When I put this campaign together I used 3 of my favorite books from a similar era to try to recreate some of the missions and the feel of the campaign.

How much I succeeded I don't really know. However in those books. 100 Missions North: A Fighter Pilot's Story of the Vietnam War by Ken Bell, Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds and Chickenhawk I couldn't find any reference about TACAN being used to navigate to the target. But i have read a lot of visual terrain references being used in mission planning and navigating to the target.

That's the other reason i stayed away from TACAN.

Cheers,

Sorel

When I put this campaign together I used 3 of my favorite books from a similar era to try to recreate some of the missions and the feel of the campaign.

How much I succeeded I don't really know. However in those books. 100 Missions North: A Fighter Pilot's Story of the Vietnam War by Ken Bell, Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds and Chickenhawk I couldn't find any reference about TACAN being used to navigate to the target. But i have read a lot of visual terrain references being used in mission planning and navigating to the target.

That's the other reason i stayed away from TACAN.

Cheers,

Sorel

There were different Tacan stations, called Lima sites, Lima Site 85 being the most famous one. But I find your way of designing it way more interesting.:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SorelRo,

I need your advice on mission 6, "wild weasel" where we need to destroy their SA-3 site.

I have nailed the site and destroyed almost everything, only a couple of trucks remained intact.

however I scored only 108 with 50% success. I did not progress to next mission.

Why ?

Hi SorelRo,

I need your advice on mission 6, "wild weasel" where we need to destroy their SA-3 site.

I have nailed the site and destroyed almost everything, only a couple of trucks remained intact.

however I scored only 108 with 50% success. I did not progress to next mission.

Why ?

Cleared..moved on to 7th mission!

In 1979. USAF had F-111, F-15A, and F-16A in service. Too bad there is no AI F-111 in DCS.

USAF didn't field F-5E squadrons, but NATO allies, like Turkey, and pre-revolution Iran did. Navy and USMC had active and reserve squadrons of A-4E and A-4M. 1979 was a cool year to have a WWIII. I salute you sir. Thankfully Mig-29 and SU-27 were still in prototype stage.

In 1979. USAF had F-111, F-15A, and F-16A in service. Too bad there is no AI F-111 in DCS.

USAF didn't field F-5E squadrons, but NATO allies, like Turkey, and pre-revolution Iran did. Navy and USMC had active and reserve squadrons of A-4E and A-4M. 1979 was a cool year to have a WWIII. I salute you sir. Thankfully Mig-29 and SU-27 were still in prototype stage.

You are totally right. I had to work with what DCS has to offer. If DCS would have had a Korea or Vietnam Era asset pack the campaign would have been different. I had to stay within the constraints of the game, and I didn't want to go and add other mods. My intention was to keep this clean and to work just with the assets in the game.

This campaign will have a counterpart from the other side of the story. A campaign with Mig-21.

When both are done the F-5 one will get a bit of extra love as well.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Hi,

I've downloaded this campaign previously but no longer have it.

Just clicked the link to download it again and it says I need to request permission to download.

Is it still available?

Hey Dave,

The campaign is no longer available and please don't download it from other sources.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Historical note. Back then, a Marine expeditionary unit was known as a MAU (Marine Amphibious Unit). Great work though.

Thanks a lot. I'll modify this on the final version. Not much of this is historically accurate. I just tried to create a different tangent where I had some grounds to fit this in the Caucasus Region.

• 3 months later...

That's a let-down, I just finished the F-5E training missions last night and was really looking forward to playing this campaign.

Any indication on when it will be re-released? Will it become an officially released DLC?