Colour banding issues at night time.

nrosko

For a while i have very bad colour banding issue where there are shades of darkness. I thought this was specifically an issue with the Oculus VR but it seems this is not the case as i noticed its mirror output is the same. Please see below screenshots. It is not just the night sky but land and sea can be the same at dusk & night time. This means i'm only able to use this game during the day.

Anyone idea of the cause of this?

I have a titan xp, 16gb ram i7 7700k.

banding-dcs-1.thumb.jpg.e4b3aaf0cf4a7c44df4fe18068b3b134.jpg

banding-dcs-2.thumb.jpg.e750e5605d39ca26a407b49d93c58214.jpg

banding-dcs-3.thumb.jpg.3e57c9abca947a111a7aac79060bdf5f.jpg

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

This means i'm only able to use this game during the day.

Yep, that is sadly the state of DCS. ED did make some positive moves regarding moonlighting a few months ago when they were getting shamed for how bad it was, but they appear to have stopped working on it. Everything else still is terrible at night. Banding, Glowing terrain instead of point/spritelights, fuzzy 2d light ball textures, terrible object lighting or in some cases objects exclude light..yes I said exclude. Like they are black holes and light does not register for them. AC lights passing through plane structure so you get disco effects in planes...etc.

To fix banding they need to look into dithering or similar tech. Until they do, it will always look like 4/8bit posterized crap.

DCS has always been and continues to be a daylight sim only. Of course sunset and sunrise for the beauty shots. But once sun is down, forget it.

Edited by Torso