What is missing from the JF-17 to be complete?

gmetzo

I think Harliquinn has it mostly right, I’ve seen what looks like the SD-10 having perfect mid course updates even though the modern teen fighters have limited mid course updates implemented it seems. I have never lost lock that wasn’t in a notch for a couple seconds or gimbal limit, it really does seem to read target position immediately with no updates. I’m sure it will be just as realistic as the F-18 once it’s done, I know the transition to 2.5.6 and having elevation measured differently probably helped push those radar plans a bit farther back

Like I saw the recent F-16 thread about TWS and ACM, and people confirming that TWS is just as unreliable as pilots have always said:megalol:

I mean notching radars is one thing, and modern radars aren't that easy to notch, with smaller gates and prediction and all. And you can notch the KLJ-7 at least. Though I wonder how good it is vs the Viper/F18 radars in that respect.

I just hope Deka is working on it, and the SD10's to use the new missile API/model/CFD stuff.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'd like to see where you read that. Specifically for the KLJ-7

I hope you're not taking my word as 100%. I'm not even sure. Am I even confusing it with the Tomcat? Who knows.

Also it has nothing to do with the magical update rates we see for targets.
To be honest, I didn't really notice. I had noticed it seems rather quick to pick up contacts, but tracking them seems to be OK? It doesn't seem "magical", as least as far as the display goes.

If you have a specific example, I'd be interested in what is actually going on.

Like a fighter? You just shot at?
:lol:

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

To be honest, I didn't really notice. I had noticed it seems rather quick to pick up contacts, but tracking them seems to be OK? It doesn't seem "magical", as least as far as the display goes.

If you have a specific example, I'd be interested in what is actually going on.

What Aria said.

Take a locked target in RWS/TWS etc, and if he's maneuvering or changing speed you immediately know it in the Jeff. The way it works in other planes is that the track file is basically a series of "states" captured by the radar as it passes over the target. Now I'm going to absurdly oversimplify this to explain it but:

First pass you know he's at bearing X, elevation Y and his range R. Not a lot of info. Next pass of the radar, you now know he's at bearing X1, elevation Y1, and range R1. Now you have 2 points to work with, and you can do "math". Based on the difference between those values you can figure out, direction he's going (Vector), when combined with your own INS data, you can also figure out his speed. Each time the radar passes over that contact, that info gets updated. But only each time he does so. Its never really instant, though STT lock is about as instant as you can get. But in the Jeff radar its instant at all times at the moment. The reason TWS is typically not used to fire on targets is because the update times are relatively "slow" so in the 1-4 seconds between passes, you don't actually know where the plane "is", your computer just assumes its going the direction it computed based on the last pass or two. And 500kts is ~250 m/s so, your missile is guiding anywhere between .25km and 1km off in that case depending on your update rate.

You can see this in the Viper or F18, F14 radars those bricks and their heading lines don't get updated very quick. In the Jeff its instant, I even know when a missile hits, because the contact does this very happy flippy floppy death dance of rapid heading changes. Again, not terribly realistic.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Lol I do the same thing for seeing missile hits.

I would hope that when implemented, if the real plane has it if there is some sort of “LOST” cue or something like that. Right now when someone goes off radar it seems the MFD just keeps it in memory for a few seconds and that’s it.

I imagine it could possibly extrapolate a G acceleration and apply that, but the rate of change in speed and heading would be constant between updates

We are getting true vertical scan pattern next patch, so it seems radar will be getting some work done:)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1) True, they're working on it, you have to keep in mind that is a complete plane, so it has to be at least a 300 pages of manual, as it has literally everything in DCS in an innmense Level of Detail.

1) The Deka youtube videos with the lady commentator are awesome. Indeed, manual could be huge, but still missing to complete it, along with training missions and a working campaign.

2) Either like the M2KC, an option to skip alignment or where coordinates and elevation are pre-set. I find this part of the startup irritating to say the least, and if it is like this on RL even on home base it is a waste of time. Ill try the suggested ground crew method, that could be a solution. Minor annoyance though, the aircraft indeed feels very complete.

3) Yes, shortcuts. Changing from flares to chaff take forever on VR, for example, precious time especially when you have so little CMs to spare.

I do agree that this module is in a good stage, it is completely functional. A decent campaign would go a long way to wrap it up.

1) The Deka youtube videos with the lady commentator are awesome. Indeed, manual could be huge, but still missing to complete it, along with training missions and a working campaign.

2) Either like the M2KC, an option to skip alignment or where coordinates and elevation are pre-set. I find this part of the startup irritating to say the least, and if it is like this on RL even on home base it is a waste of time. Ill try the suggested ground crew method, that could be a solution. Minor annoyance though, the aircraft indeed feels very complete.

3) Yes, shortcuts. Changing from flares to chaff take forever on VR, for example, precious time especially when you have so little CMs to spare.

I do agree that this module is in a good stage, it is completely functional. A decent campaign would go a long way to wrap it up.

I use the ground crew to input the starting coords all the time, it works great

Yeah radar modelling is arcadish at the moment but they have acknowledged it and stated they are working to bring it closer to reality

what do u mean by arcadish can u explain pls ( really i dont understand )

major parts:

• manual
  • texture
  • more skins

slaved to ED progress:

• ag radar
  • new sd10 missile scheme *
  • new cm802akg missile scheme (using SLAM one) *

* schemes not ready or stable, so ED suggested not to use them at this moment

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

major parts:

• manual
  • texture
  • more skins

slaved to ED progress:

• ag radar

Internal cockpit engine sounds please, Thanks.

They’re already there? Or do you want an option for them to be louder?

Not sure we speak about the same thing.

It's the RD93 sound (In-cockpit) that is not that good.

There is a strange irritating looping sound (same as the DCS Mirage 2000).

I just looked at the last video of Wags (DCS: Syria - Bekaa Valley), and the in-cockpit sound of the F-18's engine, seems very good.

I fly from time to time the Mig29 and the In-cockpit sound of the RD33 is great too.

It would great if we can have the same sound quality with the JF-17.

Not sure we speak about the same thing.

It's the RD93 sound (In-cockpit) that is not that good.

There is a strange irritating looping sound (same as the DCS Mirage 2000).

I just looked at the last video of Wags (DCS: Syria - Bekaa Valley), and the in-cockpit sound of the F-18's engine, seems very good.

I fly from time to time the Mig29 and the In-cockpit sound of the RD33 is great too.

It would great if we can have the same sound quality with the JF-17.

Looping? Maybe it’s ECS, it was made louder. You can try turning it off and seeing if that’s the cause of the looping sound. I hear engine perfectly fine

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

major parts:

• manual
  • texture
  • more skins

slaved to ED progress:

• ag radar

Hi Uboat, How much time for SD-10 scheme?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

major parts:

• manual
  • texture
  • more skins

slaved to ED progress:

• ag radar

Thank you for sharing some of your plans. Much appreciated. I hope texture improvements also include adding more detail to cockpit. Is BRM1 also not slaved to ED progress at the moment?

I have picked this aircraft back up again. Really entertaining doing strike missions again. Currently, it has replaced Viggen's role for me when doing percision strikes.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are the caution/warning audio sounds final? EN1 or EN2 surely can't be what the real jet has, can it?

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL