New payment model - How could it work?

OPEC

New payment model - How could it work?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. New payment model - How could it work?

• You make a one time payment for DCS World 3.0.
    • A monthly subscription for the DCS World WITHOUT access to all modules.
    • A monthly subscribtion WITH access to all modules.

The answer is in the FIRST post.

Personally, the reason why I do not like a subscription model is that I have the feeling that it limits my choices as a customer. With a subscription model, I don't really know what I pay for, apart from the access to the game. Do I get bugs fixed ? Dunno. Do I get software optimizations that extend the life of my hardware ? Dunno. Do I get every month new content that interests me ? How many hours am I going to play this month ? There's always this feeling that you might not get a run for your money.

I prefer a new paid version. When a new version of a game is released, I can wait for the reviews to be published and then decide, based on the reviews, whether it is worth upgrading to the new version, or whether it's better to stick with the old version for one more year until the next version, or until my next hardware upgrade. For instance if the new version brings nothing in which I'm interested.

Of course ED's best interest and mine are not necessarily identical...

This is not a mainstream game . That would be probably the end if we would buy or don't buy DCS:3.0 because of good or bad reviews.

Imagine the steam reviews of DCS if lets say if it would be a 60$ game with one full fidelity module an a single short campaign. I am pretty sure it would be mixed if not worse because this game is not mainstream but a lot of people who don't get this genre would probably still buy it then get disappointed /frustrated after they realize the fact this is not for everyone and need dedication to get anywhere . Beside the two hour refound period of steam would be probably enough for a cold start .:D

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Leave as is.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

my 2cents...In any case, if I pay for a subscription I will have the guarantee that ED will deliver a complete module. Every time Ed releases an update, it messes with something that was working ... so there is no subscription for me.

I love DCS, I would pay for DCS 3 if the offer was on the table. I would probably pay a subscription as well, however that is me and a bunch of others that would do it as well, provided, again, that a solid offer is presented.

A subscription model is dangerous. It has to be solid experience for the subscriber to retain and renew, once person resigns from it, getting them back to subscribe is rather difficult.

So, I think, leave it as is.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I just wanted to say. I'm an open minded customer who loves DCS too much so I would like to know, if ever happens, if ED is not financially profitable, if they think of a new revenue model to make it profitable.

What I dont want is to wake up one day to read a post saying "Dear customers we've gone bankrupt... farewell". I would love some notice before so actions can be taken.

I'm not happy with any of the options, so I can't vote.

BTW, what is meant by DCS 3.0? A total rewrite of the entire sim?

Following the same path we've had over the years with DCS World 2.0, 2.5 ... it would be a major new core feature or rather or combination of new enhancements. It does necessarily mean a complete rewrite since that is not feasible.

I imagine DCS world 3.0 as the support for vulkan, bigger maps or a dynamic campaigns accompanied by new weather engine....

I'm not happy with any of the options, so I can't vote.

BTW, what is meant by DCS 3.0? A total rewrite of the entire sim?

It just means a version of DCS world ('core') that is significantly improved compared to 2.5, to justify the price.

Obviously, the more improved it would be, the more we would be ready to pay.

Of course 'improvement' does not necessarily mean the same thing for all of us. It can be optimization, bug fixes... Or new features.

Edited by Pyker

I do think we should make a onetime payment for DCS world. This would create revenue for core game features, and incentivize ED to improve the core of the simulation in order to sell new copies. As for including all paid modules, you can't. Several companies make modules, and they get paid by selling those modules. Also if you bundled everything into one it would be prohibitively expensive.

I voted Yes on option 1 and I'm putting my money on it that is if ED would be honest about doing so by dedicate/hiring to make a division to only work on DCS 3.0 from ground up to clean the spaghetti code and bugs.

With the so many broken promises I highly doubt that.