New DCS World Computer?

$2000 should allow you to build a very fast system. I'm not up on the latest either, however, make sure you purchase a (fast)Dx11 graphics card by nVidia with lots of memory on the card itself. Also, people swear by using an SSD storage solution to minimize loading times and possibly stutter.

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

I built the computer in my sig last summer and it runs DCS great. It cost me $1538, so with a $2,000 budget, I'm sure you'll be happy with what you get. Just saw you are from Louisiana....what part? I'm in Bossier city....I work on B-52's at Barksdale AFB.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

If I was building a new PC I would build something like:

CPU: Intel 4770K

GFX: Nvidia GTX 780 Ti

RAM: 8Gb should be fine, but get 16Gb if price allows - DDR3, at 1666mhz is usually good enough

SSD: 2x 120Gb (minimum) (one for windows, one for games installation) (Samsung or Intel brands are meant to be the most reliable)

HDD: probably use an old just to store files that don't need fast access (movies, music, photos, documents etc)

Motherboard: something with a Z87 chipset.

PSU: 850watt (get one that supports SLI if you plan on adding another gfx card later, not that you will need it for a while with the 780Ti, unless you plan on playing on multiple monitors or 4K display)

Honestly wouldn't bother with an optical drive these days as its really easy to make a USB drive that installs Windows 7 or 8 if you have the disc or ISO. (plus it means the install takes about 3 minutes instead of 30).

That's what i recently did, got everything for around 1850€ (HD + monitor + keyboard/mouse recuperated from previous PC) which at the current exchange rate is well over 2000$ but for what i see, you can say that in PC prices, $ = € (or even less). The GTX780 has since then been lowered in price by 120€ so it should be possible to get eveything for around 1700€ (=$).

PS: I sold my previous PC for 470€, if subtracted from the total price i payed fro my new one, my new PC costed me netto around 1400€ which is well under your budget.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I took delivery last weekend of the following components:

Intel Core i7 4770K

i30 cooler

Win 7 Pro 64bit

Kingston ssdNOW V300 SATA III 240GB SSD

ASUS Rad R9 290

ASUS Z87-K

Corsair 16GB DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black 1600mhz

Corsair AX860i PSU

Thermaltake Chaser A71 Case

Acer S271HL 27 inch monitor

Using an existing mouse and keyboard with the above, I have to say I am impressed, I am hugely impressed with the difference to my previous system which was core 2 duo at 2.4ghz.

Everything is fast(er) from power on, it takes less than 30 seconds to reach the desktop, previously this was measured in minutes

While the system above is marginally more than your budget at $2600 the monitor is about $300 and Win 7 at $180 not buying these items gets it closer to your budget of $2000

Like yourself, I was unsure of what to buy as it had been six years since I last upgraded however, it was not too difficult finding out what worked with what. My preference is for ATI GPU's though, I don't think there is much of a difference between nVidia and ATI at these price points each is as good as the other.

Whatever you do decide on, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised :thumbup:.

Dave

Intel Core i7 4770K i30 cooler Win 7 Pro 64bit Kingston SSDNOW V300 SATA III 240GB OS Drive

Kingston SSDNOW V300 SATA III 120GB DCSW Dedicated Drive ASUS Radeon R9 290 ASUS Z87-K

Corsair 16GB DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black 1600mhz Corsair AX860i PSU Thermaltake Chaser A71 Case

Acer S271HL 27 inch monitor 1No 8" lilliput touch screen, running uMFCD

TM HOTAS Cougar with TUSBA TM Cougar Stick Simped F16 C with RUSBA Track IR5