Sling load (vanilla DCS version, not CTLD)

davidp57

Hi there,

I'm trying to get standard DCS sling load working in my Huey, to no avail.

Here's what I do :

- set up a static cargo in the mission editor (and check the "is cargo" box)

- take a huey and get near the cargo

- use the F6 radio menu to select my cargo (it works, I can see the red smoke and hear my copilot guide me in)

Then, I either try a hovering hookup or a landed hookup :

- using the cargo indicator (the red box with the cargo displayed as a dot) I hover right above the cargo, and hit the "External cargo hook" command. Nothing.

- landed 1 meter away from the cargo, I hit the "External cargo hook" command. Nothing.

I've seen the rope snake up to the cargo in multiple videos. I did it a few months/years ago.

Now, I cannot do it for the life of me.

Can anyone point out what I'm missing ?

Thanks !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

You aren't doing anything wrong. It should work like that, even without the 'hook cargo command', just hovering above the cargo should prompt a message and an auto-hookup. The fact that the red marker smoke appears correctly is evidence the cargo is set up correctly.

Only thing I can think of is checking the rope length on the Huey in the ME, perhaps it's set to something too short?

Well, it certainly does not do that on my game.

I did exactly as in cromhunt's video, no joy.

I also tried the "easy" way - landing right beside the cargo. Still no joy.

The rope is set at 60 feet, btw. Should be long enough ?

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I solved my own riddle : the culprit was the Alt-J keyboard shortcut, which I used to quick-start my helicopter. Apparently it causes problems with a lot of systems (RWR in some planes, and now sling loading).

So, in short, with an helicopter that is either hot or ramp-started manually, it works as expected.