is there a way to disable the landing-by-throttle thing?

Larkis

He's barely touching the pitch - look at how long the throw is on his stick and how little he's moving the actual base of the stick in comparison - the shorter the throw on the stick (the part that connects where your hand rests to the actual sensors) the more dramatic a small movement will be. That's why I recommend using a curve on your stick even if it is precise - it gives you that leeway to make adjustments without going crazy.

Cheers!

I've flown the hornet and that would be considered more input than blowing on the stick, but the aircraft also has a ratio changer that moves depending on flap scheduling giving more or less authority to the H-stabs. The stick should get slightly less sensitive with flaps full in DCS the aircraft flys just as sensitive as if you were doing 300kts with flaps auto. I have curves on my stick ,but the jet flight model should change pitch sensitivity with flap position change that's how the real aircraft does it.

So thankas for all the advices.

I made a Video from my Case 1 (and sorry but i dont know how record correctly DCS with VR so the video looks a little bit stupid) and tried to use some of the hints. And hey, i got the 4. wire :smartass:

What used was:

1. using Airbrakes into the break to drop speed faster.

2. Wait a little bit longer in upwind to have moe time in downwind.

3. use pitch in the break even after dropping flaps and gear. Hold 800ft with pitch and start to trimm to on-speed when my speed is about 150kn. use the height-dropp when going onspeed to reach the 600ft.

I also tweaked my throttle a lot. I change the axis from slider to normals and give it a curvature of 23.

it looks a little bit like this:

Office573.jpg

But it give me the(heavily missed) sensitive i need to controll the plane in groove and on final.

Thanks for all your tipps. :)

Here is the video:

I've flown the hornet and that would be considered more input than blowing on the stick, but the aircraft also has a ratio changer that moves depending on flap scheduling giving more or less authority to the H-stabs. The stick should get slightly less sensitive with flaps full in DCS the aircraft flys just as sensitive as if you were doing 300kts with flaps auto. I have curves on my stick ,but the jet flight model should change pitch sensitivity with flap position change that's how the real aircraft does it.

Cool! Is that ratio changer something that would be present on the '18 we have in DCS?

Cheers!

I made a Video from my Case 1 (and sorry but i dont know how record correctly DCS with VR so the video looks a little bit stupid) and tried to use some of the hints. And hey, i got the 4. wire :smartass:

What used was:

3. use pitch in the break even after dropping flaps and gear. Hold 800ft with pitch and start to trimm to on-speed when my speed is about 150kn. use the height-dropp when going onspeed to reach the 600ft.

I also tweaked my throttle a lot. I change the axis from slider to normals and give it a curvature of 23.

Thanks for all your tipps. :)

Here is the video:

There you go, buddy! Nice work!

So happy that the feedback was useful. Judging from the video, I think it looks nice! You have gotten all the major parts down. Now it's just a matter of repetition, and you'll get it right every time. Try out the CASE 1 trainer, and work your way up to a perfect 140 score! :thumbup:

What used was:

Here is the video:

Hard to see on my monitor but you are heavy? Starting out 40k weight?

That would be too heavy, make it 31k (or 34k) or better 15k pretending you returned from a sortie.

It's much easier to trap light.

I also think I see you coming in a tad fast, which would be the result because you're heavy and where you cut the throttle too much for that is dangerous, but in this case lucky because you dropped on the wire.

2cts. (If I saw the numbers wrong, sorry)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Hard to see on my monitor but you are heavy? Starting out 40k weight?

That would be too heavy, make it 31k (or 34k) or better 15k pretending you returned from a sortie.

It's much easier to trap light.

I also think I see you coming in a tad fast, which would be the result because you're heavy and where you cut the throttle too much for that is dangerous, but in this case lucky because you dropped on the wire.

2cts. (If I saw the numbers wrong, sorry)

I'm no expert, but I think it looks fine? The fuel indicator says 5000 total (though I appreciate you said you might have seen wrong, and it easy to mistake the "5" for a "9" :) ), and there's only a centerline tank and wingtip 'winders loaded. That should put him around 32000lb. When crossing the ramp, he's roughly at 137 kts and 690 fpm rate of descent (though it's of course hard to see the details), which is right in the ballpark afaik.

Also really good that you lock your eyes on the ball as you're getting close. Granted your frustration in the first post regarding doing things that doesn't feel natural (i.e for instance looking somewhere else from where you're going!), I'm positively surprised you've already gotten that far! Nice work!

I'm no expert, but I think it looks fine? The fuel indicator says 5000 total (though I appreciate you said you might have seen wrong, and it easy to mistake the "5" for a "9" :) ), and there's only a centerline tank and wingtip 'winders loaded. That should put him around 32000lb. When crossing the ramp, he's roughly at 137 kts and 690 fpm rate of descent (though it's of course hard to see the details), which is right in the ballpark afaik.

Also really good that you lock your eyes on the ball as you're getting close. Granted your frustration in the first post regarding doing things that doesn't feel natural (i.e for instance looking somewhere else from where you're going!), I'm positively surprised you've already gotten that far! Nice work!

yes you're right, well almost, made a screenshot, 3750L/R 7500lbs total, he's OK, just think I saw him cut throttle and drop hard on the wire.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

It's weird though... After teaching myself the powered approach, landing the Hornet, I am now landing all my planes like that. It doesn't matter if it's the Su-27, the A-10C, the Viggen, etc. In every single one, I now land the exact same way.

I trim until I'm on the correct AoA, then I use power to maintain my glideslope, then gently set them down on the runway when I cross the threshold. The only difference between landing other planes and the Hornet on the carrier, is I cut throttle when crossing the threshold, instead of going mil when landing on the carrier. It just comes naturally to me now.

Edited by umkhunto

It's weird though... After teaching myself the powered approach, landing the Hornet, I am now landing all my planes like that. It doesn't matter if it's the Su-27, the A-10C, the Viggen, etc. In every single one, I now land the exact same way.

I trim until I'm on the correct AoA, then I use power to maintain my glideslope, then gently set them down on the runway when I cross the threshold. The only difference between landing other planes and the Hornet on the carrier, is I cut throttle when crossing the threshold, instead of going mil when landing on the carrier. It just comes naturally to me now.

What took you so long? :)

Buzz

All planes act like that when in a landing configuration, depending on which side of the power curve you are. If you fly fast, you on the front side, pitch for altitude, power for speed. If you fly slow, at or below the powercurve, you are on the back side, it is pitch for speed and power for altitude.

Even a little C-172 acts this way, trim pitch for the speed you want and use power for altitude changes desired. I am a current PPL and this is what is taught at all flight schools as basic flight 101.

Alot of folks still die when they got to far behind the power curve during landing in general aviation.

It doesn't matter if you're in a GA aircraft or a jet fighter, don't get behind the power curve for your plane.

Nice read

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2002/january/flight-training-magazine/behind-the-power-curve

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

All planes act like that when in a landing configuration, depending on which side of the power curve you are. If you fly fast, you on the front side, pitch for altitude, power for speed. If you fly slow, at or below the powercurve, you are on the back side, it is pitch for speed and power for altitude.

Even a little C-172 acts this way, trim pitch for the speed you want and use power for altitude changes desired. I am a current PPL and this is what is taught at all flight schools as basic flight 101.

Alot of folks still die when they got to far behind the power curve during landing in general aviation.

It doesn't matter if you're in a GA aircraft or a jet fighter, don't get behind the power curve for your plane.

Nice read

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2002/january/flight-training-magazine/behind-the-power-curve

All that said,

my old buddy who later flew KLM once told me after some years license 'I changed my whole landing procedure, I just fly the plane to the ground' which at that time was anything past the learner Cessna 172, big cessna's and cargo planes later on, and then KLM passenger jets.

Did not knew at the time what exactly he meant, but one can presume, if one knows one's plane well enough, you cannot bother with any glide slope per se

(KLM pilots very often - then, don't know about now - hand drive their planes down the ILS with autopilot OFF in particular in high cross winds, they call this 'necessary ability training' because this is their entertainment, which these days - with too many junior pilots? - is simply not allowed by a lot Asian companies I heard, they need to fly autopilot or else),

you simply aim for the touch down marker and have your wheels there on the ground with hardly denting you shocks, with hardly a flare,

is what you just do, and this needs excellent timing and actually knowing the exact power curve and flight envelope of the actual plane, involving the actual behavior etc.

and is F-18 landing without the heavy trapping, but with the goal not to indent ones gear shocks.

Edited by majapahit

I just wouldn't have said impact...

LOL, that is what it is without the flare. And if you're not up to snuff on your flare technique you could end up logging 2 landings.

We sure ain't putting the power on and going around.

We prefer the term sailplanes :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The F/A-18 is no sailplane. :)

:thumbup:

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanx, :thumbup:.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.