LF advice on HOT-3 optimum firing range - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
Backtrap

Default LF advice on HOT-3 optimum firing range

I recently bought the Gazelle, which is my first helicopter. I am having a blast learning to fly with my warthog controls. The main issue I am having right now is engaging ground targets without getting shot down.

I looked up the range of the HOT-3 and it said 4300m which is roughly 2.3 NM. When I close within that range to fire, I am getting shot by the ground targets. I am staying low (treetop) and using terrain to help block, but the rounds go through trees and hit me.

One other thing. I noticed when I tried firing from longer ranges (4-5NM) the missile just explodes midair before hitting the target.

TLDR: If you have any tips on engaging ground targets with HOT-3 without getting shot down, I would be thankful.

Thanks,
Backtrap

Last edited by Backtrap; 02-16-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Backtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
razo+r
Veteran

Use any cover you can get, hous, hill etc. and shoot from max. range.

Rig: Maximus VII Ranger, 4790K @ 4.00 Ghz, MSI GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, 250 GB SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD, 2TB HDD, Win 10 64-bit
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
cromhunt

The hot is a missile "Haut Subsonique Optiquement Téléguidé,Subsonic Optically Remote Control)", which means that we can control it once launched.If you look instead of the shooter on his console, you see a mini joystick that is there to take into account the steering missile.So this is not a "fire and forget" .You must be in optimal conditions to make a successful shot.
Try to see the possibility of moving the missile once it is launched, with the command you have assigned to guide the reticle of the camera, it is the same command for aiming and guidance of the missile.
Practice first with the possibility of being partially hidden by hard osbtacles (buildings, mountains ...).
Once at a safe distance from the target, go into the shooter's spot and look in the screen while going up to see the target, above the obstacle that hides you. Start the hovering station. Normally, as your camera is above of the cockpit, the targets do not engage you because they do not see you. Indeed it is your camera which exceeds, not your fuselage.
By being in this way in height relative to the target, the missile is less likely to go to the ground.
Hovering behind trees too low, the missile will crash in front of you, unless you are long distance, and there you can catch up with the joystick.On the throttle of the warthog, you have a mini joystick, very sensitive , just to the left of the coolie hat on the face where the four fingers land. You can use it for the displacement of the viewfinder and for the firing of the missile.As well as for the piloting of the missile.

http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread/312/dcs-la-gazelle
Training is the only way

Last edited by cromhunt; 02-16-2018 at 05:25 PM.
cromhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Backtrap

Thanks for the tips and video link guys. I appreciate the feedback. I will keep practicing!!

thanks,
Backtrap
Old 02-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
cromhunt

It's not in DCS but it's also spectacular, and the gazelle is still so impressive. Now imagine the hours of training to gain control of this radio-controlled model.
https://youtu.be/Tnn-FD4pZWw
cromhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
BaD CrC
ED Translator

It's a wire controlled missile. If you fire at ranges that are superior to the length of the wire, then obviously the wire get cut and this triggers the missile's self destruct.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
Robert31178

Also the Gazelle's HOT missile's range is less than that of any of the laser guided TOWs on the armored vehicles in DCS, or so it would seem. I always get whacked by them.

~Rob
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #8
Erk104

when your in a hot area I try to shoot on the move. Fire and keep moving.... you are harder to hit with a tow round or a tank round if you are moving.
Erk104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Backtrap

Thanks again for the feedback. I am not having much luck. 2 more tries and 2 more deaths.

both were behind a ridge (treeline) and I was approx 5nm from target area. Died to machine guns of some sort.

I really like the Gazelle, but these short-range missiles are really hard to hit targets with. Guess I will try some rockets next time and try to move fast.

I think what I really need is a 2nd gunner in multiplay. That way I can concentrate on maneuvering while the gunner takes out targets.

Thanks,
Backtrap
Old 02-17-2018, 12:52 AM   #10
Bigskill

Owner of the Gazelle Moudules since 2 days ago lol, been fighting with the auto over mostly and trying to find the best curve and settings to control this chopper.
It is fun and very agile but pedals are kind of unrealistically too responsive to me.
Definitively to fly with a gunner is a lot better.
Bigskill is offline   Reply With Quote