Radar Altitude (AGL)

superhornete

Is there any way to make the F-15C's HUD display altitude above ground (AGL) instead of barometric altitude (MSL)?

I have flown F-16C BMS and F/A-18E VRS Superbug and both aircraft are able to display radar altitude.

I have searched the manual and I've found nothing about radar altitude.Maybe the real F-15C's HUD is not able to display it.

Anyway , radar altitude (AGL) is very useful for overhead landing procedure and for low level flying.I would be surprised if the real jet has not this feature.

Thank you!

Sorry, from the F-15C Flight Manual:

At an altitude of less than 1,000 feet, along the right side of the HUD, there appears a radar altimeter scale, graduated in hundreds of feet. The current radar altimeter bar moves along the left side of this scale.

Yeah , HiJack you are right , but this is from the old manual.In the new one ( the one released with the F-15C AFM standalone module - 149 pages) you won't find anything about radar altimeter.

Indeed , the radar altimeter was functional only in older versions of Flaming Cliffs (FC1 , FC2).

I will upload an image here showing the lack of radar altitude scale.

view.php?pic=6f2yoy&s=8#.U9-iq_mSw64

Or see my F-15C Landing Tutorial, Part 3 is an ILS Landing ... there is no Radar Altitude Bar anymore (as you can read in the F-15C DLC Flight Manual).

It's not that hard for the Overhead landing procedure. If you do your Briefing right, you know the Aisbases altitude and add this to the Barometric Altitude.

And: Low level flying in the F-15C ... :huh: ?

regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I understand that I am able to obtain the proper altitude for the overhead approach by knowing the airbase altitude.But I thought there should be a radar altimeter in the real F-15C like F-16 and F/A-18.

So , does the real F-15C have a radar altimeter or not?I have seen some F-15C flying very low.(F-15C not F-15E , I am able to make the diffrence between them).

Here is a link with some F-15E and C flying low.(The last one is F-15C for sure).

(1:47)

Thank you for answering.

Yep. In fact we used to have a RALT in-game but it was removed because the real deal does not have it :)

I'm sure it could easily be added if the USAF wanted to, but apparently there's no need.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 4 years later...

F-15C absolutely did/does have a radar altimeter. They also fly low level every so often, but they don’t rely on RA for that. Most common use is in patterns to double check AGL, especially at unfamiliar fields or for a little ground SA to backup your altitude and barometric altimeter settings during IMC approaches, don’t want to JUST trust controllers :)

I think it sucks that they removed it incorrectly.

Terrain elevation map stored in the navigation system. The aircraft knows where it's going and what it'll find there.

Interesting that they have terrain avoidance, but no radalt ... so how does that work? Forward looking radalt?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda