Caucasus Still Beautiful

wilbur81

I took a break from the PG map and flew in the Caucasas some more. I was just struck with how amazing this map still is! ED has created an incredible sim!

• Like 2

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Yeah , still my fave...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It's especially nice in Winter, early morning.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

• 3 months later...

I have gained a further appreciation of the map since picking up the huey in the summer sale . I resisted the dark side for years , but the huey and the Caucasus in VR are amazing !

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

With its variety of terrain, different seasons, and combined with different times and weather conditions, Caucasus remains fresh and interesting. I was flying last night over a patch that I knew well, but it still felt novel. Definitely the best map; none of the others even come close.

and it is the only map that has seasons!

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 2 months later...

Its a great map, especially for ground attack aircraft. What I am wondering is if they will ever flesh it out a little more. Like fill in the Turkish border or the Armenian areas with more roads, settlements etc. If we had this map in high detail out to the Caspian sea to the east, it would be a jaw dropper for all the scenario's a person could come up with!!:thumbup:

What I am wondering is if they will ever flesh it out a little more.

Spending development effort on a free map? ED already did, spending a lot in order to make it v2.5 compatible .. I doubt they would want to invest more so soon, it is more likely the development of new Maps, like Syria.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 5 months later...

Even with the 2.5.6 performance challenges, I was tooling around Caucasus at simulated midday in the summer... It is still beautiful! It is remarkable to me still that this is a free map. :thumbup:

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Even with the 2.5.6 performance challenges, I was tooling around Caucasus at sumulated midday in the summer... It is still beautiful! It is remarkable to me still that this is a free map. :thumbup:

It remains my favorite , even to the extent that i have PG and NTTR disabled .

I have no way of knowing what the Caucasus part of the world really looks like since I've never been there... But, flying through the tree-filled valleys is really cool :)

I gotta admit that while some parts of the Caucasus map are a little bland and "cardboardy", some of it really is just gorgeous. The NTTR and Gulf maps really do kind of pale by comparison.

I just wish the Caucasus map looked good in the summer. It's just weird. The autumn and winter seasons are great though!

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Please don't watch if you think DCS is beautiful and realistic enough atm :)

ED should improve trees. Too generic at this moment. We need altitude, terrain angle and moisture+wind based tree variations.

Moisture+wind generated by new weather system, and terrain engine knows slopes angles and altitude.

We as well need more different height trees of same species, so not all are at same height.

There is as well such engine texture generators, when in 90's such technology as "multilayer texture mapping" came to RTS games where depending various map properties the textures got blended and revealed automatically.

so example you made nice rock texture, sand texture and grass texture and they got blended by various heights and Slope angles.

As it is well known how predictable it is different flora to grow and live at various places (shade, direct sunlight, next to river, high slopes, soil PH values etc etc).

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 5 months later...

I would personali pay for a proper caucasus 3.0 map with modern airfield, infrastructures and satellite rendering terrain.

• Like 1

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

ED should improve trees. Too generic at this moment. We need altitude, terrain angle and moisture+wind based tree variations.

Moisture+wind generated by new weather system, and terrain engine knows slopes angles and altitude.

We as well need more different height trees of same species, so not all are at same height.

There is as well such engine texture generators, when in 90's such technology as "multilayer texture mapping" came to RTS games where depending various map properties the textures got blended and revealed automatically.

so example you made nice rock texture, sand texture and grass texture and they got blended by various heights and Slope angles.

As it is well known how predictable it is different flora to grow and live at various places (shade, direct sunlight, next to river, high slopes, soil PH values etc etc).

You want a flora simulator !

• 2 weeks later...

Several Texture Mods available including a cool Better Trees!

100% - Caucasus deserves respect.

I recently started experimenting with some of the excellent Texture Mods out for Caucasus. You can search all of them up in the Forums.

All of them give a new refreshed and sometimes much more realistic feel to the map.

Fun to experiment with if you want to kill a couple of hours on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Examples:

Better Trees V2 (Light and Dark)

CGTC - Caucasus Ground Textures Compilation

MUSTANG

STARWAY

Ga-BIKA textures MOD

BARTHEK

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I honestly think this map should not be abandoned. I have seen trees mentioned in an above comment, but I have to somewhat disagree - I think the main issue with the map is the flat terrain textures. It appears as if three or four main textures are used throughout, most notably light and dark green grass.

What we need is some sort of photographic texturing, i.e. MSFS2020. Overlay a photo of the region onto the map itself. That, or add more colours to the palette.

Edited by Matuchkin

3 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I honestly think this map should not be abandoned. I have seen trees mentioned in an above comment, but I have to somewhat disagree - I think the main issue with the map is the flat terrain textures. It appears as if three or four main textures are used throughout,

this map was updated 3 years ago, so it is too soon to be considered "abandoned", and what you say about using 3-4 textures is simply untrue, as this is one of the few maps that have four distinct seasons, each with its own set of textures.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

To me Caucasus (in DCS) looks beautiful. If I could ask for anything, though, I'd like those Georgian villages look a bit less generic. I find it very hard to tell between one another, they're all built from the same highly repetitive set of houses/buildings/etc. It becomes particulary acute when you're roaming around in a chopper (my favourite sport in DCS). At some point it starts to feel a bit like "auto-gen" scenery from FS2004. Flying over or near a specific village hardly, if at all, tells me where I am. I rely mostly on the terrain shape - I've got this mountain to the left, S-shaped valley to the right, so I must be more or less here. Something like that.
On the other hand, what would my computer say if there were a 1000 of such house models? Is it only about RAM (I could buy more RAM), or would it require some crazy "fire power" from the PC in general? I don't know.

• Like 3

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box