WW2 fighters handle very differently in different maps?

Aluminum Donkey

Greetings,

I've noticed that the Bf-109K-4 is extremely 'wobbly' (very little damping) when flying the 8 vs. 8 mission in Caucasus, and it's hyper-sensitive in the pitch axis. In the Normandy map, however, it handles much more like the way I *think* it should.

Are the maps optimized for different aircraft types? i.e. does the Normandy map have different air characteristics best suited to simulate smaller, slower prop planes, and the Caucasus, NTTR and Persian Gulf better for modern aircraft/jets?

Reason I ask is that it's really obvious to me now. I'm used to flying the prop jobs over Normandy and they really behave differently in Caucasus. I have yet to try them in Nevada & the Persian Gulf.

So, different atmosphere model (air density/damping) for different maps? Could this have something to do with simulated Reynolds numbers (something I used to understand long, long ago, but no longer?!)

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I noticed this on PG, rather assumed it was related to weather and altitude variances. Would be worth sanity checking those.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Density altitude. Check the mission temperatures and sea level pressures. I’ve noticed a big difference between Caucuses and Normandy compared to Nevada and PG, less difference between caucuses and Normandy but it could still be temperature and pressure settings.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

All interesting stuff everyone :) Imma have to try the 109K-4 in Caucasus at maybe 1-2 km altitude above MSL, because that's the alt that I usually end up at in the 8 vs. 8 dogfight mission. The 109 is *really* wobbly and hyper-sensitive in pitch in that mission--I reach maybe 15-20 degrees AoA with only a few mm of stick deflection.

Only noticing it since I always fly the WW2 birds in the Normandy map, which seems very close to MSL over almost the entire map.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

I'd check if your controls haven't been reset (curves etc) during an update.

DCS has been really flaky with controls suddenly resetting to default over the last few months.

It isn't that at all. The handling really is different. Also, DCS World control setups are the same regardless of what map you're flying in--they go with each aircraft module, not the map.

AD

Kit: