Check of tail rotor anti ice system shows 3rd and 4th section - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #11
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Okay.

I will start by saying that I am calling the system anti-ice instead of deice. For this aircraft, the distinction is irrelevant in my opinion. If you turn the system on manually before you get icing, it's anti-ice. If you let it come on automatically after icing is detected, then I guess it's deice. In Russian, it's not called either. It's called "heating".

The ammeter has nothing whatsoever to do with the anti-ice system. It just checks the current being drawn by the item selected. The systems works just one way no matter what you have selected on the ammeter dial.

Here is the sequence for the rotors when the anti-ice system is turned on:
  1. The SECTION 1 light illuminates and the heating elements of section 1 of the main rotor and section 1 of the tail rotor are energized for 38.5 seconds.
  2. The SECTION 2 light illuminates and the heating elements of section 2 of the main rotor and section 2 of the tail rotor are energized for 38.5 seconds.
  3. The SECTION 3 light illuminates and the heating elements of section 3 of the main rotor and section 1 of the tail rotor are energized for 38.5 seconds.
  4. The SECTION 4 light illuminates and the heating elements of section 4 of the main rotor and section 2 of the tail rotor are energized for 38.5 seconds.
  5. Go back to #1.

This means that each main rotor section is energized for 38.5 seconds and is de-energized for 115.5 seconds per cycle. Each tail rotor section is energized for 38.5 seconds and is de-energized for 38.5 seconds. The total cycle time is 154 seconds.

The position of the ammeter dial has no relevance to this cycle, other than it allows you to see if current is being drawn by various blades/sections for troubleshooting purposes. You can check each main rotor blade individually, because you can change each main rotor blade individually. The tail rotor blades are always changed as a set, so it doesn't matter which particular tail rotor blade may be causing the anti-ice to fail, since all three will be replaced anyway.

If you turn the ammeter to the tail rotor position and when the SECTION 4 light illuminates the ammeter drops to zero, that means that section 2 on one or more of the tail rotor blades has failed for some reason. If you turn the ammeter dial to W/S or DUST PROT then it will go occasionally drop to zero normally because those elements de-energize when their respective temperature sensors reach 30 degrees C.

Last edited by AlphaOneSix; 03-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.
AlphaOneSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
DeMonteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragBum View Post
I have no other information between the DCS modelled Mi-8 manual and an Mi-17 manual cica 2007.

Perhaps there may be a more recent update to the annunciator panel logic in question?
Thats why I am writing about it here. From my point of view it is bug. But similar kind of bugs is also usual in these helicopters.
I wouldn't be surprised if this logic is different in each series. Or even pieces.
DeMonteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

It's not possible to use the ammeter dial to change which section light illuminates, they are completely independent. There is no bug. This is how it is designed to work.

Does it not work as I described above in the game?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #14
Gunnars Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
Okay.

I will start by saying that I am calling the system anti-ice instead of deice. For this aircraft, the distinction is irrelevant in my opinion. If you turn the system on manually before you get icing, it's anti-ice. If you let it come on automatically after icing is detected, then I guess it's deice. In Russian, it's not called either. It's called "heating

This means that each main rotor section is energized for 38.5 seconds and is de-energized for 115.5 seconds per cycle. Each tail rotor section is energized for 38.5 seconds and is de-energized for 38.5 seconds.
Very good for this thread that you controbute !

Not important for the thread but anyway:
Because the sections of the rotors dont heat full time, some ice will form on the sections between the cycles, thereby its formally a deicing system by western definition. That doesnt mean it isnt good though. To keep all part of the blades heated all timewould cost a lot more electrical power ( more fuel used, heavier alternators and so on).

In western modern helos the common idea is to use deicing on the main rotor but to use anti icing on the tail rotor.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #15
msalama
Veteran

A16, it does work like that in DCS so no bugs there.
Hey doubters, check this out: "P-51D has another variant with new higher octane coming later, the K-4 and D-9 are getting new cockpits, all the WWII warbirds are getting their cooling reworked, and a DM is in internal testing"
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
FragBum

Can also confirm the DCS Mi-8 anti-ice functionality is as per the DCS Mi-8 manual as well appears to conform to the Mi-17 manual with only differences in timings. See post #7.

As did Gunnars in Post #4.

Last edited by FragBum; 03-18-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: <correction>
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #17
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Timings are the same, I'm not sure where you see a difference. It's not the 115.5, is it?

38.5 ON
38.5 OFF
38.5 OFF
38.5 OFF

So each main rotor section spends 38.5 seconds on and 115.5 seconds off, for a total cycle time of 154 seconds.

Or am I misreading something somewhere?