F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Yeah, the NRM is the normal mapping (bumps) and the ROUGHMET I believe is a specular map (shininess). Normal maps are nearly impossible to generate without 3D modeling software, but the specular is just a linear representation of the surface finish from dull to shiny.

We'll have to wait and see if they fix the helmet thing. I'm pretty sure it's a bug or an oversight, not an intentional choice.

In the meantime, since we'll probably never see this one as an official livery thanks to trademarks... :P

0ZeBPlc.png

Edited by sagebrush

Hi People!

Ive managed to edit a skin (putting my own name on the pilot spot! :megalol:)

Problem is, when i view in-game, it appears off-set. Im not sure why?

I haven't changed the size of the image or re-positioned it in any way. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Check the dimensions of your .dds. The only real reason it would move is for it to be different from 4096x4096.

Love the helms!

Yes I see the file names included in the LUA all refer to the EX_Pilot_flight suit or Ex_Pilot_helm, ect. Meaning they are external view. Nothing mentions internal. I tried adding {"HB_F14_INT_RIO_HELMET", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_HELMET_goose",false}; to no avail, need to keep guessing.... either they keeping the syntax for interior view close to chest, or it isn't added yet.

Then theres the PILOT_HELM_NRm and PILOT_HELM_ROUGHMET , but I am pretty sure both of those are relating to surface textures.

Oddly goose's helm shows in his mirror in 1st person, just not when you look back at him from front seat.

its also a shame that it pulls the same file for each guys flightsuit, I was really hoping to have them each with a custom breast patch

Not all of the crews have separate helmets the ones that do will have a file called HGU-33_?? with the Red rippers the rio helmet is HGU-33_Spanky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We'll have to wait and see if they fix the helmet thing. I'm pretty sure it's a bug or an oversight, not an intentional choice.

Thanks for Info, The Devs responded to me on social media and confirmed it is a bug that will be fixed, so we good, just a waiting game :)

Home-Built Rig - | ASUS TUF Z390-Plus| i9 9900k | 2080ti | 32g G.SKILL TridentZ |Samsung 970 evos | Tagan 1100w PS | Warthog Hotas | Track ir 5 | Saitek Pedals | PFT Collective

So even if there's a delay in releasing an official paint kit, is it safe to assume all the "stuff" will be in the same locations it is now in the existing *.dds files with the currently included F-14 skins? Meaning if I just make some layers in photoshop with a current dds as a stencil, later they will be portable to the official F-14 paintkit?

Edited by Kolyma

So even if there's a delay in releasing an official paint kit, is it safe to assume all the "stuff" will be in the same locations it is now in the existing *.dds files with the currently included F-14 skins? Meaning if I just make some layers in photoshop with a current dds as a stencil, later they will be portable to the official F-14 paintkit?

Yup, unless they make some major changes to the 3d model, which doesn't seem too likely at this point.

Collect them all. i did these the first day they came out :thumbup::thumbup:

Mav and Goose

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l8q1244mm25063z/AAAO67t4IVamsulMzOLNUWyka?dl=0

h7Id77A.png

OdDXPuh.png

Iceman and slider

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gomu6dfxf5pej8t/AADfsvFiC4vuK6Z1zdAu6wrra?dl=0

np71zj6.jpg

7qyilgw.jpg

Viper and jester

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g6yj2qe0gbeovsi/AACU4CJUc5BcZl3SpR7WR3A8a?dl=0

YSI7TuJ.jpg

M3ccj9o.jpg

Cougar and Merlin

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vfmm7vjyf63kccw/AACoHdkzJthSmNtuJnF0mqaVa?dl=0

INjmZmP.jpg

z2ePdV4.jpg

ZkLSDT0.jpg

Edited by burtnutz

how do you use and install them ?

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Unfortunately, as I'm just using Affinity Photo I can't open up the .dds files.

Could I get the .psd data somewhere - maybe from one of you guys?

Export to .dds can be done by myself via several steps through Affinity (.psd) -> Gimp (bitmap) -> PlaneDXT (a Software for conversion of bitmap to .dds)

Would be great if some one could support me :)

BR Marvin

Hey guys! I am no artist so I am coming to you guys for help! I would love to have some Iranian IIAF/IRIAF skins for the F-14... Now I know they never flew the B model, but I am dying to run an Iran mission on wingmanfinder and have an excuse to zip around the Iranian mountains on the PG map haha

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

Anyone found a standalone converter yet for Intel-based .dds files to a useable format (bmp/whatever) and back again?

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

These are some WIP samples fore Iranian F-14A helmets , i cannot wait to have official skin template ,too

photo_2019-03-21_05-47-13.jpg.c29fa0118f5b5fff2c8d849e2d2bef25.jpgphoto_2019-03-21_06-24-54.thumb.jpg.930327e17229deb1eb5ec43349b15327.jpg

photo_2019-03-21_06-35-57.thumb.jpg.0df83f3f713766e9bcfb6fe01404741d.jpgphoto_2019-03-21_06-09-55.thumb.jpg.5ad0deaf05fc76993b80e0298005616d.jpg

This is my work on old F14 model:

picture.php?albumid=1580&pictureid=10111

IIF Project :https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216906

picture.php?albumid=1580&pictureid=10226

Edited by sadjad-vosoul
  • Thanks 1

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

We're aiming for this week on the paintkit. Stby gents!

Great news! Curious to what was the delay from the initial release schedule for the paintkit? Other than the blisters what needs to be added to the 3D Model?

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Can't wait to fly with Iranian camo

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5