How do you keep your controls saved permanently?

I think I spend more time in the setting in DCS then I do playing. Can someone please tell me how I can save my settings and not have to do them again. Let me explain the problem I'm having. I have a number of controllers including an Xbox 360 and also a Saitelk x52. The problem is that whenever I have to remove these and then plug them back in again, my xbox 360 for example will show up again in the DCS settings.

Can anyone also explain what Save Profile as actually does in the DCS settings? I thought this might save your whole settings once you had finished selecting them, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I found this out after I setup the Mirage2000 and Saved Profile as Mirage2000.lua file. For testing purposes I then selected Load profile in the DCS settings and selected the mirage2000.lue. It's then I found out that all the settings I had changed hadn't been saved at all to this Mirgae2000.lua file I had created.

Please someone put me out of the misery of constantly having to redo my settings.

When you made some modifications in keyboard, joystick, throttle, pedal, etc. assignments and hit OK this changes is saved in:

C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS*\Config\Input\TF-51D\ in the folders:

Joystick

Keyboard

Mouse

Notice, for every module (plane) and for every controller (joy, pedal...). There's not a "global" profile.

Inside Joystick folder you have a file for each controller assigned, e.g.

VKB Tiny BOX {8800F8E0-CB1E-11e4-8001-444553540000}.diff.lua

This the assignments for my Rudder Pedal. If you have four controller will be four files, with "device names".diff.lua

If you use SAVE AS you are saving a copy of this files but in other folder inside game directory, pay attention to location name.

So when you unplug/plug the controllers - inf not in same USB ports and same previous order Windows (specially 10) will see the as new as well the game and assign default commands for then.

Then you need go to controls, select the X-52 and LOAD AS the profile custom saved or the one in "saved games". Same for other controllers (throttle, pedal, XBox gamepad).

* DCS or DCS.openbeta, DCS.openalpha

Edited by Sokol1_br

DCS User Manual also has a section about controls, around page 22 DCS World\Doc\DCS User Manual EN.pdf

The most confusing thing is that you need to create a profile for each controller and also that each controller might change ID if you plug in another USB port, requiring you to remap again.

You can Save/Load a profile for the same aircraft and the same controller, however it's not recommended (I don't even know if it works) to save a profile for an aircraft / controller and load it for another aircraft (as the control definition is different).

• 3 years later...

Thread necro! Sorry :)

New user here and found this confusing at first,

So, the settings, per device, per aircraft, are save when you OK everything.

But, the Save As and Load, rather than saving or loading a complete set of assignments for the selected aircraft, do so only for the actual device selected?

What if you save as to the same file for each of the devices? Will the single file get all the controls?

I had an issue recently too, where I wanted to swap profiles from Win 7 to 10 and vice versa (7 & 10 on different drives)

The devices were all the same but all the addresses were screwed up, totally different.

What I did and it worked fine for me, was to id the new device number and assign that number to the old device file. Just the file name nothing else.

Once that's done then it all worked flawlessly and saved me a s**t load of time.

Importing them in and then resaving takes forever by comparison

Just change the file name to refelct the correct address that windows has assigned and BINGO!!

• Like 1

MagicMan, I copy off the c:\users\Your_username\SAVED GAMES folder to another location as a backup. You don't need all the directories in there, but it makes it easier to just copy off the whole thing.

And what Weegie is talking about is the Globally Unique IDentifier (GUID) used by the USBs to keep track of what's what. It can change. For example, I moved the joystick to a different USB card and the GUID changed.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 3 months later...

I'm recently having lot of problems with my controllers and I'd like to identify what GUID's they have assigned. When I look at the ID's in the file names for under the joysticks folder in DCS I cannot find those GUIDs anywhere in the system, not the registry, in any USB diagnostics tools, etc. Where do you find the current GUID for your USB device that should be the same as in the file names under the joystick folder?

Hardware and Printers, find your hardware, right click, "Game Controller Settings".

Right, that's where I thought I'd find it too, but none of the GUID's for the various aspects of the devices matches any of the GUIDs DCS is giving to the joystick input file names.

I really agree with that, I think DCS is complex enough for it to deserve and improvement in that area, possibly even as a standalone utility or integrated into the launcher. Among other things I can think of right now.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 8 months later...

It takes me a little over an hour to set up a single aircraft...I feel your pain.

I back up my saved game folder fairly often, but the real problem with plugging and unplugging is the device will occasionally get a different UUID, and that blows everything up.

It's possible (I haven't tried yet) that changing the name of the files will let them work with the new UUID.

It takes me a little over an hour to set up a single aircraft...I feel your pain.

I back up my saved game folder fairly often, but the real problem with plugging and unplugging is the device will occasionally get a different UUID, and that blows everything up.

It's possible (I haven't tried yet) that changing the name of the files will let them work with the new UUID.

Yes, i have done this often to just make one binding to the new blank controller.

This creates the diff.lua with the new uuid. I then copy that new uuid onto the old file and presto my bindings are back. You can repeat this for other modules.

I do suggest doing a reboot after connecting your devices.

I performed this for my mfd's (I have two sets of cougars so four total) and renamed them as described. Then after a reboot they wonky again so had to switch them around.

It's not that they where blank it sort missed between my first set left with the second sets left.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.