Oculus rift 2 Sensor ??

simo1000rr

hello every one

As the title would imply im trying to figure out if its okay to get a second sensor for the Oculus Rift. right now its working okay with one sensor setup at the corner of my desk (right corner) facing me however sometime when im flying and checking six i get a hiccup in the tracking . Question is will a second sensor setup at the other corner ( left corner) . will it give better tracking . also i dont have touch controller and i dont want one so will i be able to setup the second sensor with rift only ? or the Rift setup wont accept the second sensor ?

Edited by simo1000rr

I would think you will be fine setting up a second sensor.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

A second sensor gave me a better tracking. I set it up with one left and one on the right side of the desk and with this I was able to turn my head without getting flips or whatever.

The touch controller are not needed with the second sensor, it will work without the touch. Nevertheless, I bought the touch version, as the price was not much higher for the 2 touch + 1 sensor combo instead of the sensor alone and in addition you can give VR games or VR experiences (whatever you want to call it) a try, which require some hand controller input. Valve's THE LAB is just fun.

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

A second sensor gave me a better tracking. I set it up with one left and one on the right side of the desk and with this I was able to turn my head without getting flips or whatever.

The touch controller are not needed with the second sensor, it will work without the touch. Nevertheless, I bought the touch version, as the price was not much higher for the 2 touch + 1 sensor combo instead of the sensor alone and in addition you can give VR games or VR experiences (whatever you want to call it) a try, which require some hand controller input. Valve's THE LAB is just fun.

thanks alot thats what i needed to know . i only use the rift for DCS and since 2 sensors will improve the tracking i will get another one .

Get the Vive!... no need for usb cables, 2 sensors and controllers are included... 2880 x 1660 resolution on the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, he could wait for the updated Oculus which will of course be far better than the Vive! Apart from which, he already has the Rift.

Or, he could wait for the updated Oculus which will of course be far better than the Vive! Apart from which, he already has the Rift.

:thumbup:

That is certainly my plan!

Not enough of an upgrade in Vive Pro for me to ditch Rift and invest in a whole new system. If one already has a Vive system may make some sense depending on cost.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I use two sensors. The only issues I have is random disconnects from the USB card I have installed. I use the one they recommended for the occulus. Its got fresco USB 3 default drivers. Tracking will get iffy sometimes but nothing a reboot of the occulus app can't fix.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I have two sensors, but use only one for DCS. It's mounted centrally above the dash of my cockpit, I get perfect tracking for all head movements even extreme 6 checking :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

One sensor is enough for dcs sitting in chair. I have now 2 cause i bought the rift controllers. See No differences with one. Some hickups are still there.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I use 2 sensors and never have tracking issues in any sim. Mind you, I had no tracking issues with one in sims, either.

Same here, no tracking problems at all...

Don B

Went straight to 3-camera (sensor, as each sensor is really just a IR filtered camera with fairly low resolution and wide angle of view) setup as wanted the space.

The cables are not the problem. When you buy the third sensor from Oculus, it comes with the USB extension cable. And now you have possibility to get the third sensor to your rear.

The Oculus HMD has IR leds as well installed to the rear triangle plastic part, so if you look backward it can be read somewhat with a dual-sensor setup.

With a single sensor setup you are limited to about 180 degree turning but after 45-60 degree you start to have problems as most IR leds are around the front part:

Screen-Shot-2017-02-07-at-12.36.43-PM-1000x691-n3vyt6kc1phbt49dusl5of5ytsnr28qf58j0ikmiv2.png

That is what the sensor see as dots. And then computer needs to do the complex 3D analysis from that.

With a two sensor setup, you are removing that limitation of single sensor as now you have other sensor seeing more of the IR leds that other sensor is missing, so stereographic camera system helps.

The third sensor is to read really the rear part of the HMD:

20160828175442.jpg

So if something is blocking the HMD from front, like a touch controller, hand etc, then there is the two sensor visibility. But that rear triangle is not enough alone to allow accurate tracking, but it is great backup and used at the moments when you will turn your head all the way to rear as much you can and second front sensor sees only the side of the HMD at that moment.

maxresdefault.jpg

With a three sensors I have never received any tracking problems, even up to 7x5m size full empty room area, dedicated on me to the VR.

With a two sensors setup I tested couple times, I had couple glitches when I turned about 90 degree from front because neither couldn't see other than HMD side and part of the rear as the sensors were 1-1.5m from each other in front and I was about 2.5m from them.

I have no tests done with a single sensor, but I think it is fairly strictly limited to 120 degree head turning so you get 60 degree to either side with excellent tracking and then you are cutting a lot of the IR led visibility to single sensor so it ain't so reliable.

The ideas to go for now the Vive Pro is not good one. One already has the Rift CV1 (Consumer Version 1) and extra sensor costs only a 69€ each. So going from 1 to 2 or 3 setup costs only 69€ or 138€ + postage. Far cheaper than the Vive.

The Vive is going to be sold in two versions. The current Vive, and then new just announced "Vive Pro". Both use the same "lighthouse" sensors (they ain't sensors, but just a laser lighthouses that are beaming laser beam in specific modulation so the tiny IR cameras in HMD and each controller can see them and then it is calculated based what camera see them in what proportion, where they are).

And Oculus will come out with a something else in future too, so it is better just to stick with Oculus now as you can bet that CV2 will be compatible with the current CV1 sensors, as the difference is opposite how Valve and Oculus designed these systems.

Oculus opted to have external sensors, reading lots of tiny IR leds. So what you need to do is to have just a controller with power and enough IR leds to shine. So simple design and cheap. And then have the IR cameras that can be placed around and they are the "core of the system". Downside is that you need own tethered cable to PC from each sensor and sensor camera resolution is limited to tracked device IR pattern size (upgradable with either higher resolution camera or narrower field of view camera) and each player requires own computer and each computer requires own set of sensors.

Valve opted to have a integrated sensors, dozens of small cameras in HMD and each controller. expensive etc. Then read the position data of laser beacon from each of them and do the calculation. Benefit is that you need only a power to search lighthouse, and they can be very far as the laser beam will cover long distance and multiple VR headsets can use the exact same 2-3 lighthouses.

So as we are talking about VR use in the DCS, there is no reason to to Vive as Vive doesn't offer better tracking, easier setuping nor anything else really as one doesn't need large full room setup.

And when a 5x7m size room gets perfectly tracked by Rift (3-sensor setup, one sensor on each three corners so two are 5m apart and two is 7m apart from each other) then how large room you want to spend in first place for DCS?

I am just building a new DCS VR chair. That has just a flight seat, HOTAS and PC connected. Idea is to get it so you don't need a monitor or anything else as it would boot automatically to virtual desktop where you can use virtual keyboard with touch controller and point things and get DCS launched. But at this moment there is a problem that every time the DCS loads a new aircraft, loads the map etc, the focus is lost so HOTAS can't operate correctly and requires Alt+Tab (even when there is no other window running than DCS) to get all working again. So hoping 2.5 to fix that.

So my advice is, get the second sensor for the Rift. You will benefit from it. But if you have money to buy the third as well and you have the USB port required.... It is best choice for the future but two sensors should be more than good enough to start.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Went straight to 3-camera (sensor, as each sensor is really just a IR filtered camera with fairly low resolution and wide angle of view) setup as wanted the space.

The cables are not the problem. When you buy the third sensor from Oculus, it comes with the USB extension cable. And now you have possibility to get the third sensor to your rear.

The Oculus HMD has IR leds as well installed to the rear triangle plastic part, so if you look backward it can be read somewhat with a dual-sensor setup.

With a single sensor setup you are limited to about 180 degree turning but after 45-60 degree you start to have problems as most IR leds are around the front part:

Screen-Shot-2017-02-07-at-12.36.43-PM-1000x691-n3vyt6kc1phbt49dusl5of5ytsnr28qf58j0ikmiv2.png

That is what the sensor see as dots. And then computer needs to do the complex 3D analysis from that.

With a two sensor setup, you are removing that limitation of single sensor as now you have other sensor seeing more of the IR leds that other sensor is missing, so stereographic camera system helps.

The third sensor is to read really the rear part of the HMD:

20160828175442.jpg

So if something is blocking the HMD from front, like a touch controller, hand etc, then there is the two sensor visibility. But that rear triangle is not enough alone to allow accurate tracking, but it is great backup and used at the moments when you will turn your head all the way to rear as much you can and second front sensor sees only the side of the HMD at that moment.

maxresdefault.jpg

With a three sensors I have never received any tracking problems, even up to 7x5m size full empty room area, dedicated on me to the VR.

With a two sensors setup I tested couple times, I had couple glitches when I turned about 90 degree from front because neither couldn't see other than HMD side and part of the rear as the sensors were 1-1.5m from each other in front and I was about 2.5m from them.

I have no tests done with a single sensor, but I think it is fairly strictly limited to 120 degree head turning so you get 60 degree to either side with excellent tracking and then you are cutting a lot of the IR led visibility to single sensor so it ain't so reliable.

The ideas to go for now the Vive Pro is not good one. One already has the Rift CV1 (Consumer Version 1) and extra sensor costs only a 69€ each. So going from 1 to 2 or 3 setup costs only 69€ or 138€ + postage. Far cheaper than the Vive.

The Vive is going to be sold in two versions. The current Vive, and then new just announced "Vive Pro". Both use the same "lighthouse" sensors (they ain't sensors, but just a laser lighthouses that are beaming laser beam in specific modulation so the tiny IR cameras in HMD and each controller can see them and then it is calculated based what camera see them in what proportion, where they are).

And Oculus will come out with a something else in future too, so it is better just to stick with Oculus now as you can bet that CV2 will be compatible with the current CV1 sensors, as the difference is opposite how Valve and Oculus designed these systems.

Oculus opted to have external sensors, reading lots of tiny IR leds. So what you need to do is to have just a controller with power and enough IR leds to shine. So simple design and cheap. And then have the IR cameras that can be placed around and they are the "core of the system". Downside is that you need own tethered cable to PC from each sensor and sensor camera resolution is limited to tracked device IR pattern size (upgradable with either higher resolution camera or narrower field of view camera) and each player requires own computer and each computer requires own set of sensors.

Valve opted to have a integrated sensors, dozens of small cameras in HMD and each controller. expensive etc. Then read the position data of laser beacon from each of them and do the calculation. Benefit is that you need only a power to search lighthouse, and they can be very far as the laser beam will cover long distance and multiple VR headsets can use the exact same 2-3 lighthouses.

So as we are talking about VR use in the DCS, there is no reason to to Vive as Vive doesn't offer better tracking, easier setuping nor anything else really as one doesn't need large full room setup.

And when a 5x7m size room gets perfectly tracked by Rift (3-sensor setup, one sensor on each three corners so two are 5m apart and two is 7m apart from each other) then how large room you want to spend in first place for DCS?

I am just building a new DCS VR chair. That has just a flight seat, HOTAS and PC connected. Idea is to get it so you don't need a monitor or anything else as it would boot automatically to virtual desktop where you can use virtual keyboard with touch controller and point things and get DCS launched. But at this moment there is a problem that every time the DCS loads a new aircraft, loads the map etc, the focus is lost so HOTAS can't operate correctly and requires Alt+Tab (even when there is no other window running than DCS) to get all working again. So hoping 2.5 to fix that.

So my advice is, get the second sensor for the Rift. You will benefit from it. But if you have money to buy the third as well and you have the USB port required.... It is best choice for the future but two sensors should be more than good enough to start.

very informative , thanks alot for taking the time to explain , now im sold on a second sensor , the reason i want the second sensor as you have mentioned is to improve the tracking when lets say i turn around and the IR camera cant see the triangle in the back .i have my sensor mounted in front of on my right side . so when i turn left there is no issue but when i turn right i get sometime and not all the time some hiccups , now after your post i understand why.

My Rift came with two sensors.
Older Rift kit was just single sensor, HMD with Xbox 360 wireless joypad and Oculus remote.

Then touch controllers was released and they sold out in two kits:

A) Old kit + second package that included a second sensor and two touch controllers.

B) New kit that had two sensors, HMD, and touch controllers all in one package.

The A kit was sold out as long warehouse has them (I got it). And B kit was that is sold now and some got it in start.

Basically A included more as you got obsolete Oculus remote but you got wireless Xbox joypad as an extra, as that was replaced by touch controllers.

Then additional sensors came with a extension cable (IIRC) and was small white box.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.