Sharing Pre-flight Planning concept

Sgt_Cyanide

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my concept of a pre-flight planning tool, that helps creating flight plans for multiplayer sessions for example.

It's possible to manually input latitude/longitude if a target is known.

Later I would like to develop a possibility to share flightplans via file import/export.

Currently I don't have any knowledge to display the real DCS Caucasus map. This causes that some roads, mountains or island are a bit off or not existent.

Short test on the OpenConflict server where successfull and it's very convenient that we don't have to restart the game after altering a flightplan. Just change your flightplan and hop in Viggen, load the data cartridge and go. pilotfly.gif

Link to my concept:

Mission Planner Download

Please keep your previous version of the tool, in case something is not working.

Version: 0.0.2:

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XlVXP4dDMYNrQHm1Qb3HCm7-kBwtKmSL/view?usp=sharing

PW: DMP

Very early release. Version 0.0.1:

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WXuNu1NyAGS1r-asVwPGmCnl_7fEfn5z/view?usp=sharing

PW: DMP

Changelog

Version 0.0.2:

- Improvements on the Im- Exporter.

- New application icon.

- Unfinished implementation of TOT.

Edited by Sgt_Cyanide
  • Like 5

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently developing a more solid waypoint system for more stability and a nice UI. I'll release this tool with basic features, where you can create a basic flightplan with target waypoints, as in the video.

It shouldn't take very long to get this stage.

Stay tuned.

Looking great, Cyanide!

One thought (that you've probably thought of already): if you're looking to save waypoints in a way that they can also be loaded into the utility, you may wish to simply duplicate the format you export into the config lua. This way, people can either import the flight plan into your utility, or copy/paste into their lua file.

The first release could come without QFE calculation, but I'm definitely looking how I can solve this.

The weather data should be on the briefing page of the server.

I'll let you guys know if I found a solution.

Update: I made a big progress on how I handle the waypoints, it's now more stable and there are 5 configurable flight plans that you can select and edit in the UI.

• Like 2

+rep for Cyanide. :)

Awesome work. Can't wait to use this tool!

Owned modules: P-47 | P-51D | Spitfire MkIX | I-16 | Bf 109 K-4 | Fw190 D-9 | Fw190 A-8 | Yak-52 | MiG-15 | F-86F | C-101 | A-10C | AJS-37 | L-39 | F-5E | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | F-14 | AV-8B Harrier II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | Ka-50 | SA342 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2.

Maps: Syria, Nevada TTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, & The Channel.

Hardware: GeForce 1080TI, I7 7700K, 32GB RAM.

https://www.lesirreductibles.com -

Here's a thought on QFE calculation: it's linear arithmetic. As long as you have QNH and the elevation at the waypoint, you can figure it out.

Since the Viggen uses millibars, we'll use the 30ft/mb rule of thumb. Take the waypoint elevation and divide by 30. Then subtract this value from QNH to get QFE. For example, if the elevation is 900ft, dividing by 30 gives you 30mb. Subtract 30 from 1013 (assuming QNH for standard temperature and pressure) to get a QFE of 983.

Without an import from DCS, people can plug a QNH from the briefing into the tool, and you can use the terrain elevation from your existing source (or manual inputs from DCS) to determine the adjustment for QFE. You could enable this for all airfields and target waypoints.

EDIT: AFAIK, these QFE values won't import into the kneeboard, and aren't required with the CK37, so this would be an advisory/convenience feature. Still, it would be valuable for planners to jot down a few numbers prior to takeoff.

Edited by Home Fries

Nice concept!

Just wondering, didn't a guy called Quaggles work on something like this?

What happened to him and that project?

No post at all from him since 13th of July.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Nice concept!

Just wondering, didn't a guy called Quaggles work on something like this?

What happened to him and that project?

No post at all from him since 13th of July.

Yes he was working on this, didn't know what happend and I can't wait forever for such a tool.

Awesome =) ! Do you also want to add the special waypoints like those of the RB-15f?
I really would like to do that, but currently we are restricted to normal waypoints. I've ask what is possible to pre configure with a data cartridge, but I doesn't have an answer yet. Setting BX waypoint would be really nice.

Here's a thought on QFE calculation: it's linear arithmetic. As long as you have QNH and the elevation at the waypoint, you can figure it out.

Since the Viggen uses millibars, we'll use the 30ft/mb rule of thumb. Take the waypoint elevation and divide by 30. Then subtract this value from QNH to get QFE. For example, if the elevation is 900ft, dividing by 30 gives you 30mb. Subtract 30 from 1013 (assuming QNH for standard temperature and pressure) to get a QFE of 983.

Without an import from DCS, people can plug a QNH from the briefing into the tool, and you can use the terrain elevation from your existing source (or manual inputs from DCS) to determine the adjustment for QFE. You could enable this for all airfields and target waypoints.

EDIT: AFAIK, these QFE values won't import into the kneeboard, and aren't required with the CK37, so this would be an advisory/convenience feature. Still, it would be valuable for planners to jot down a few numbers prior to takeoff.

Thanks for the short explanation, it's way clearer now how I can calculate this! I'll try something, maybe I can develop something that displays QFE for every waypoint. :book:

Today I have finished to create a whole new UI which allows to select different data cartridges (max. 5 Slots). Tomorow I'll start developing the im- / exporter.

Short video for you guys:

Edited by Sgt_Cyanide

Thanks for the great feedback so far! I'm a little bit concerned about the map usage of my application.

I don't know if I'm violating their terms of use from the map providers. Can someone help me out on this? I'm not that smart to understand terms of use. :huh:

My application uses OpenStreetMap currently.

Short Update: Today I have finished implementing the Export. Tomorow I'll start to look at the Import.

Thanks for the great feedback so far! I'm a little bit concerned about the map usage of my application.

I don't know if I'm violating their terms of use from the map providers. Can someone help me out on this? I'm not that smart to understand terms of use. :huh:

My application uses OpenStreetMap currently.

Short Update: Today I have finished implementing the Export. Tomorow I'll start to look at the Import.

Your not making any money from using their stuff, as long as you credit them in the details I dont see any issues with it.

Read their terms of use and see if it says anything specific about using it?

You are free to copy, distribute, transmit and adapt our data, as long as you credit OpenStreetMap and its contributors. If you alter or build upon our data, you may distribute the result only under the same licence. The full legal code explains your rights and responsibilities.

That's from their terms and conditions.

What you are doing is within the T&Cs. So, as long as,

1. you're not selling your work, and

2. You credit openstreetmap.org in your tool

you should be fine.

Your "credit" should take their approved format, namely;

"© OpenStreetMap contributors".

You must also make it clear that the data is available under the Open Database Licence. This can be achieved by providing a "License" or "Terms" link which links to http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright or http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl.

[This does not constitute a Legal Opinion]

Edited by philstyle
  • Like 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Excellent tool!!!!!!!!!!

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.