AJS-37 Viggen livery wishes and discussions

CHSubZero

Don't think the Swiss bought a jet in that time period other than the F-5E Tiger II

They flew the Mirage III besides that and where often in Sweden to practice as we where both Neutral during the Cold War and we had more space than they had !

You are correct, but in the 1970s our Air Force was looking to replace the aging Hunter fleet. Vought was ready to deliver Corsair IIs (which were favoured by the pilots) the government wanted the Dassault Milan since swiss manufacturers were involved. The ensuing debate lead to the cancelation of the Hunter replacement and the Milan was never built.

Now I wondered why the Viggen was never taken into consideration (at least I didn't read about it) while the Harrier for example was.

And a fictional swiss Viggen would just be neat

You are correct, but in the 1970s our Air Force was looking to replace the aging Hunter fleet. Vought was ready to deliver Corsair IIs (which were favoured by the pilots) the government wanted the Dassault Milan since swiss manufacturers were involved. The ensuing debate lead to the cancelation of the Hunter replacement and the Milan was never built.

Now I wondered why the Viggen was never taken into consideration (at least I didn't read about it) while the Harrier for example was.

And a fictional swiss Viggen would just be neat

Im actually pretty sure the Viggen (AJ 37) was considered and it was one of the aircraft tested in the competition during the early 1970s where the F-5E was selected.

I think the 1974 competition where the F-5E was chosen had the F-5E,Viggen,F-4 Phantom and Mirage F1 as the Contestants.

My guess would be that the biggest advantages for the F-5E was its low pricetag and easy / cheap maintenance allowing for a larger number of aircraft for the same price.

And during the Competition in 1974 only the AJ 37 would have been available for testing as the JA 37 was in early development at that time.

But i agree that one would think the Viggen would have been a perfect fit for the Swiss airforce with its Short start / landing ability, Road base ability and folding rudder should have let it fit in existing underground shelters (where as they had to rebuild many underground shelters for the F-18 when it entered service).

But like the other alternatives the Viggen would likely have been more expensive to operate then the F-5E was

and the Viggen was also a more complex aircraft

(Though the Viggen was very Reliable and was very easy to maintain as it was designed to be serviced primarily by Conscripts as was the Swedish System).

Ive always Thought it a shame that no other nation acquired the Viggen as it was a very capable and well designed

aircraft for its time (as well as being so sexy ^^).

Edited by mattebubben

Oh yea that's how it was. I guess the use of american components (like most of the engine) caused some problems. :P

It gave the US the possibility to veto the deal in those days. The US and India weren't real friends back then.

How (s)low can you go

Well, I guess the US wasn't big friends with Sweden either, otherwise Austria for sure and probably some other European countries would have bought them.

I guarantee you, if we had, we would still fly them today...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Frohe Weihnacht!

That wasn't the case if I'm not mistaken. Sweden was for a long time the sole non-NATO user of the aim-120. Viggen was quite expensive in comparison and tailor-made for the Swedish situation.

How (s)low can you go

That wasn't the case if I'm not mistaken. Sweden was for a long time the sole non-NATO user of the aim-120. Viggen was quite expensive in comparison and tailor-made for the Swedish situation.

The AIM 120 wasn't used i in sweden until the 90's, the deal with the Swiss was in the 70s. :)

The US have played their ace on a few occasions. One was when the Finns contemplated buying the Gripen. The US simply let them know that they would not get to buy the AMRAAMs for it. But they were welcome to buy the Hornet though :)

The US have played their ace on a few occasions. One was when the Finns contemplated buying the Gripen. The US simply let them know that they would not get to buy the AMRAAMs for it. But they were welcome to buy the Hornet though :)

Who needs an AMRAAM when you can get METEOR? ;-)

How (s)low can you go

Who needs an AMRAAM when you can get METEOR? ;-)

Im pretty sure he is talking about when the Finns where Contemplating Getting the Gripen instead of the F-18C

(in the 90s when the Gripen was brand new and not the current competition of getting the Gripen E as a Replacement for the Hornet).

So the Meteor was not yet an option (as it have just now entered full service).

So at that time frame the Aim-120 would have been one of the best choices for Active Air-Air Missiles.

Though i suppose they might have been able to acquire some other Active radar guided missile like the Mica or Derby instead.

But then again the Finns have not been all too happy with the Aim-120s

atleast not the Aim-120C as there has been some trouble with their Rocket engines in the cold climate.

Edited by mattebubben

Here is one livery I'd like to see. More infos about this livery can be found here: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2001/10/stuff_eng_detail_ja37_blue_peter.htm

detail_viggen_blue_peter_04.jpg

Looks like a Vault-Tec Viggen :D

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

Cooincidence of Awesome /)^3^(\

I really need a Wonderbolt skin for the Viggen. That might be my first try when we'll be able to create custom liveries... dealwithit.png

*vomits*

Edited by OziRekt

"We carried out many trials to try to find the answer to the fast, low-level intruder, but there is no adequate defense."

— Air Vice-Marshal J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson, RAF

Can't charge us all

• 3 weeks later...