F-5E vs MiG-21: Soviet Test Pilot's Insight

ilya1502

Thank you for the translation!

I don't get one part though. During the trials the f5 whooped the 21 and 23 while the graphs of the experts preparing recommendations for African pilots said otherwise. What is to be made of it?

The experts just did a theoretical analysis and drew conclusions. The test pilots had proved those conclusions were wrong in separate tests and it looks like the recommendations to the Ethiopians were quietly changed as a result.

Ah, thanks!

A curious bit is that the USAF Have Doughnut evaluations of the MiG-21 (albeit an F-13 version) were not so confident of the advantages of their designs except for the F-4, to whom they gave a manoeuvrability edge despite IIRC reports of the contrary by USAf pilots in Vietnam. Teamwork was deemed essential, and if mutual support is lost, go above M0.98 and run away fast.

In the same evaluation the F-5N was said to perform better under 15,000 but generally the aircraft perform nearly identically (it was also recommended that the F-5 be used for DACT, which happened). It was noted that while mil power and turn capabilities were about the same, the MiG-21 was better at afterburning acceleration and instantaneous G turns. Another interesting thing is that the fire control capabilities were found to be the same, when the F-5 was regarded as superior even against latter MiG-21 models for its modern HUD.

• 7 months later...
Hello, everyone!

I think this can be of a great interest to the community, as it was for me. This is an excerption from the book "Life-Long Runway" written by the Soviet Air Force test pilot Vladimir Kondaurov. The story is that in 1976 the Soviets got an F-5E to test. Here is what the test pilot made out of it.

The translation was made by myself. English is not my native language, so, please, forgive me if the text is not perfect.

[...]

Good job with the translation. I really appreciate it! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...