Wake turbulence for warbirds - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #31
DD_Fenrir

tolgab, are you implying that physiological feedback (butt cheeks & inner ear - i.e acceleration and balance) provide faster human reaction response than visual cues? What evidence is there for this, because I'm not sure I agree....
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #32
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgab View Post
With all this realistic wake turbulence how do you account for your instinctive reaction on the controls? In real life, when the plane is thrown to a side you automatically react even as your brain is still realizing what is going on. How do you simulate that?
This is not simulator departament anymore, how or what pilot do is up to you,
Just learn to react for this,
Old 02-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #33
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
tolgab, are you implying that physiological feedback (butt cheeks & inner ear - i.e acceleration and balance) provide faster human reaction response than visual cues? What evidence is there for this, because I'm not sure I agree....
Yeah, for example slide slip it is something you will not feel. Same reason is why plane cockpit is filled with countless gages showing what is actually going on with plane.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #34
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgab View Post
With all this realistic wake turbulence how do you account for your instinctive reaction on the controls? In real life, when the plane is thrown to a side you automatically react even as your brain is still realizing what is going on. How do you simulate that?
Are you implying that when you fly in sim and your plane starts banking to left you simply not able to correct that so you need help from game to simulate your natural reaction to banking plane?
This is like fundamental thing about sims, you will never experience it like real plane flying because you are not in the plane period.
I don't like server where weather are always smooth no wind no turbulence no wake turbulence this is so so boring then.
And if you don't like wake turn it off easy.

Last edited by grafspee; 02-14-2020 at 12:10 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #35
Belly

Hello,

I am not a real pilot, I play only simulation. What I like in DCS it is this kind of stuff which put my thought … Hey there is this parameter to deal also, awesome !!
Thank you ED

Belly
Old 02-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #36
tolgab

Quote:
You certainly feel a rotary turbulance before you can see its effect on the plane. Are you telling me that if you get a "slap" on one of your wings and you immediately counter yoke you only do it after you actually see the horizon tilt or instruments indicate it? I know I don't because I would and did react to wings tilting because of sudden turbulance while looking at the map.
It is true that in the clouds you won't know which way is up or whether you are in a turn or not. G's can play tricks on you, fair enough. But whatever conditions you are in you will feel the thumps and react automatically.
Also instruments have delays, they help with what you cannot see or feel., but your body is still faster if you can "feel" the changes. For me, this is also why taking off in a real plane is easier as I can feel the changes and counter react before they are big enough for the eye to see.

Last edited by tolgab; 02-14-2020 at 03:47 PM.
tolgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #37
-0303-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
This stuff is why they turned it back off

I hear wake turbulence isn't quite accurate in some areas though, such as on the ground, making planes move while stationary
A big jet screamed by really close taking off to my innocent I-16 parked on rwy side and shook it so hard it broke the gear and I had to repair.
Accurate? No idea. Memorable? Yes.

Last edited by -0303-; 02-14-2020 at 04:13 PM.
-0303- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #38
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG13~Wulf View Post
Yes I saw it when it was release. Again, I wasn't talking about how they work but how powerfull they are for so little planes.
And as I said, same as RL is .

S!
Old 02-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #39
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
And there is speculative but credible reasoning to believe that Mark Hannah's tragically fatal accident in a Buchon in Spain was possibly caused by encountering the lingering wake turbulence from his own run and break pass whilst turning on final to land.
Well, indeed that side of LELL airport is well known for local pilots since there's a large supermarket built well after the airport and those airconditioners on the roof make a really huge hot air current making aircraft sink wildly.

S!
Old 02-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #40
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
And as I said, same as RL is .

S!
Great video