Coming together with MiTech - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #21
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester986 View Post
More coders is what's always needed for faster delivery of modules.
Not always. When you have a clever coder, they get slowdown by others. And if coder that needs to work with others, likely as well needs to start documenting their code, and that consumes more time than writing the code itself. And it will cut their path of thinking often so they need to start to go through again the process.

While programming is science, and you can study it as any other science and become an software engineer, a good coders do not need any of such things because code is not just engineering, it is poetry and mainly it is problem solving.

That is one of the problems with the excellent coders, that they might not have any education and so on any rules "how to" do things properly like in big corporations. They can be fluent in many languages and they think a lot out of the box, finding the means how to solve a problem.

It is similar like in sports, that you have great athlete but terrible in team games. So the coach job is to get them in line and work with the team. And more you get these great athletes to a team that can't work as a team, more problems you get in a big scale as the team starts to lose its integrity and dynamic capability to work around as each one is more of a solo stars than one big machine working together.

But I think that you meant that modules will come out faster and sooner when you have more workers for it to fill the positions for different tasks, like graphics artists for textures, audio engineer for audio, physicist for the algorithms, computer engineer for documenting code, hacker for inventing clever means to overcome the problems.

The computer history is full of clever people, some are excellent in programming like example John Carmack, and some are just excellent in business like Bill Gates and some are excellent to understand the whole concept of the product purpose like Steve Jobs was. Yet you can't put them all to one project as you get them collide with each others.
This is same thing why example Usability Engineers are extremely important in every production that is about user interfaces, but they are least wanted and hired because they will have full control of every detail of every product and they have the final word on everything that when something goes forward and when something goes back to drawing board. So they are seen as huge blockages by administration point of view as they just are slowing down things, regardless that they are making final products far better and more successful in the first place in long run.
But when you need to explain why the project schedule is made to be 1.5-2x longer than a business person is promising to client or some engineer is saying, it is because they will go and cut away many of the phases in quick prototyping and testing and they will focus more for a well known human behaviors and usability that is then as well cutting changes from creative people like artists and designers who do not understand the usability (two completely different areas) and so on they really dislike about usability engineers interference to their creativity process.

In this case when we have a new software module for DCS, you are right that two is likely far better than one. Three even better. But at some point the fourth, fifth, tenth etc becomes a trouble.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #22
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey Jammer View Post
There is no "promise" please stop using that word all the time
There is. As linked:

Quote:
As stated many times we are still committed to completing our existing modules before moving onto coding for new modules.
Multiple times that thing is stated, so it is a promise.

I have seen first time only saying "We are not going to release any new modules before existing ones are completed" way, that was interpretable that they are coding MiG-23MLA and F-15E but are not going to release those for Early Access.
But what DECOY has said there, and clearly list the teams allocation, all coders are working on existing modules code, not on the new ones. And the 3D artists etc are all working on the new modules as they can't participate at all to exiting modules graphics and models because those are already done.

So what DECOY has said, shows that they are in good order proceeding forward as they have been promising that they do not work with other modules code until existing ones are ready (this doesn't mean that they make 100% perfect code etc, but that they get modules out of Early Access and feature complete).
Old 02-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #23
Bogey Jammer

Your extrapolations are too funky for me. I don't agree at all with you.
МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 F-14A Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module
Bogey Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #24
viper2097+
Posting Rights Suspended

Posted on the Discord Channel of Razbam in the Bo-105 section after the question came up when the Bo-105 will be coded.

So lets talk again about "playing tricks on words" and how "toxic" I may be with my concerns.
So may I say now "As I told you?". But yeah, I'm the stupid, toxic guys who does not have any idea about business and customer relationship.

Business as usual at Razbam.
Playing tricks on customers. Promise something the one day, break it on the other. And of course, the customer missunderstood everything.
And additional to the discussion about what modules are active in developement, you see, paying customers in DCS are only a byproduct for them. No problem with that, but from the way they communicate and how they stick to their promises, or at elast said things, everyone can build his own opinion.

Good to know their priorities and how they stick to their promises...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200210-101025.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	226976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200210-101552.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	226977  

Last edited by viper2097; 02-10-2020 at 11:32 AM.
viper2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #25
sc_neo

To be fair, they have stated that fact, DCS being just one of their businesses, more than once over the years. So assuming they would only spent their time working on their three released modules is fallacious. That being said, i would have hoped that the coders would only spent their DCS dev time on those three released modules and not on the F-15 and Mig-23, but there is no way of knowing anyway.

When i bought the Harrier it was right at the height when Razbam made some strides on the module in the first half of 2019.

I personally realize more and more that EA the way it works in the DCS ecosystem is not really for me, especially if their is not a proper bug -and feature tracker that is meticulously updated by the devs. My willingness to constantly be unsure of whether something is not yet implemented, wrongly or only in part implemented or something doesn't work because it's a bug has grown short.

And i bet even the F-14, touted to be fairly feature complete on EA, will have a multi year EA period nonetheless. Once something is released in EA dev. speed seems to slow down, at least that is my impression.

At the same time, i have so many modules that i can sink my teeth in at this point, that i really feel no urge to get into half finished stuff anymore. Additionally, it's fine anyway to buy those modules 3-5 years post EA release and drive up the long tail revenue figures a bit.

Last edited by sc_neo; 02-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #26
=DECOY=

Ron is talking about 3D Work, Zues and Elwood are NOT working on any other modules, CJ is helping with the FM for the BO105

We still stand by our existing modules first

Razbam Community Manager
Water cooled i7-7700K oc at 5Ghz | 2080ti | 32GB DDR4 Ram | Virpil T50 | Warthog Throttle | Saitek Peddles | Rift S
Razbam Website | Facebook Page | Offical Razbam YouTube Channel

=DECOY= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #27
SGT Coyle

Don't want to be accused of being toxic, but I got the Harrier when it was released 10/27/2017 and waited a year to start posting my complaints.

I have given them the benefit of the doubt and plenty of time to workout these issues.
Their business is their business. I'm not telling them how to run their business. They offered up a study level sim and that's what I bought. I expect them to make steady progress with that goal in mind.

I have yet to see them make reasonable dent in that list or any complaints having to do with control interface for over a year since being posted. This is the low hanging fruit that could be cleared and pointed to as progress, but for some reason we're getting the much easier to code, addition of a VR Pilot.

I'm happy to see MiTech get partnered up with another developer. Just wish it was a developer I could get excited about them partnering with.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #28
sc_neo

Great to hear, thanks for clarifying this Decoy!

Btw, you said before Christmas that you intended to go over the 'Resolved' and 'Problems and Bugs' sections for the Harrier here on the forums and move those wrongly moved reports to the correction section. Have you gone through that already?

Additionally, the HUD Velocity Vector is WRONG! @https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222417&page=5

is still not showing up at Razbams official bug tracker, though Zeus stated that work on this bug is happening. It would really go a long way if all properly reported and acknowledged bugs would make it to the bug tracker in a timely manner. That would put many minds at peace a bit i reckon.

May i ask, adding those to the bug tracker, is that one of your responsibilites, or is that being done by one of the coders?
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #29
viper2097+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by =DECOY= View Post
CJ is helping with the FM for the BO105
We still stand by our existing modules first
So the FM of the Mirage, Harrier and MiG-19 are finished and done 100%? Really?
As I can do hands free conventional landings with the Harrier once it is on speed, that seems very unbelieveable to me.

You know that Prowlers statement let again room for speculations and is something different that you are saying... Especially in the context of the discussion on Discord.
So we will see...

Last edited by viper2097; 02-10-2020 at 06:26 PM.
viper2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #30
rrohde
Veteran

@viper2097 - vielleicht mal was anderes spielen, etwas Abstand nehmen. Das ist ja echt gruselig was du in jeder Razbam Post machst.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit
Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II /w SCG-R Premium (side mount for DCS F-16)
rrohde is online now   Reply With Quote