Engine Response to throttle input?

lobo

Again, I'm talking about the upper RPM range. Engine acceleration 'over a wide range' means exactly nothing, because basically every jet engine accelerates slower at its lower range.

That's also the reason why many jet engines have an approach/flight idle and ground idle setting.

Don't know why you don't think (and don't believe your ears and disregard the RPM readout) that most jet engines accelerate rapidly in the high RPM range. I'm strictly talking about decades of RL experience.

Btw, Victory205 wrote that Spool up is too slow currently in the DCS hornet and isn't he Hornet pilot?

Can you post a video of a 3 second high rpm responce as I'm not seeing it.

As I said, are you having this experience of poor thrust responce clean? You have compared your findings with RL engine data?

Its not that I dont believe youtube I just find manufacturer performance graphs more accurate in testing. This from someone who started on the Viper ASV20 engine thru countless others right up to the GE90.

Approach idle is usually for go around performance (quicker acceleration to max thrust) & for better stall/surge protection.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

1.Can you post a video of a 3 second high rpm responce as I'm not seeing it.

2.Approach idle is usually for go around performance (quicker acceleration to max thrust)

1. Just fly approximately level with about 80% and rapidly advance the throttles to 90 or 95%. Spool time is in both cases around 3sec.

2. Exactly. That's why I mentioned it.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

1. Just fly approximately level with about 80% and rapidly advance the throttles to 90 or 95%. Spool time is in both cases around 3sec.

Wait, 80 to 95%....that is what I would consider a wide range. It's also low/mid to a high setting. Are you aware of the thrust difference between those settings? The last time I tested engine response was admittedly a couple of months ago but from approach idle to 100% back then it was 4 secs.

I cannot fly as I'm away from PC for 2 weeks. You haven't provided any answers to my questions but feel free to test against this data ...

image.thumb.png.b3140418c5c94a714291de4d5add09c1.png

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

1. 80 to 95%....that is what I would consider a wide range. Are you aware of the thrust difference between those settings?

2. The last time I tested engine response was admittedly a couple of months ago but from approach idle to 100% back then it was 4 secs.

3. feel free to test against this data ...

1. I don't know what thrust has to do with the acceleration time issue?

2. That's why it doesn't make sense to me why e.g. 80%-90% takes only 1sec less.

3. Again, I'm not talking about airplane acceleration, it's just the slow engine acceleration that makes short and quick corrections impossible.

This was my post in another thread I also found several other GE sources that showed less then 4 seconds idle to mil.

I was just looking at some documents and several of them have said under 4 seconds from IDLE to initial A/B light on the F404. I know A/B light time is random as engine has to go through the process etc. I have tried to time it in the sim and even if only count time after I push throttle full forward its 5.5-6.5 seconds from idle to 100% I wonder if this is why some feel the drag is to high or very easy to get behind the power curve. This is measuring it after I already pushed throttles up so thats letting engines get up about 75% before I even hit timer lol. If I time from when I start moving throttle it takes about 6.5 or little over like theres a bit of lag for the command to hit FADEC or we. I am only timing to 100% on display not A/B light etc.

Is the throttle response to slow? I know the turbines spool from Low RPM slower then High RPM but even on the Wiki it says the F404 was known to respond fast for carrier ops. Says around 4 seconds for idle to lighting A/B. This is what several documents show online aswell.

In the GE document it says on average 3.25 seconds from idle to full thrust. The F404 in game doesn't spool idle to full thrust in 5 seconds let alone 3.25.

ZAjbmEB.png

wMBSZeH.png

Several Official Sources.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a164562.pdf

https://www.icas.org/ICAS_ARCHIVE/ICAS1984/ICAS-84-5.4.2.pdf

Edited by HawkDCS

Rig: 5960X @ 4.5GHZ 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Titan XP Dell 3415W 21:9 Thrustmaster Warthog

Looking at the airplane acceleration table Druid provided, the Hornet needs only 4sec to accelerate by 60kts.

Considering that the engine acceleration alone takes already 3sec in the DCS Hornet, the too slow RPM/thrust build up might be an indication of a too low basic airframe drag.

This in turn might explain the too high gear and/or flap drag in an attempt to offset the too low basic drag.