stuck on grass

..taxing on narrow taxiway, slipping out a little bit and pow.. damn plane wheel drops like in living sand.. full afterburner, tons of force generated but somehow ground stuck...? That is most damn stupid thing in DCS, agree? Some planes are intended to land on dirt, especially soviet?

Edited by BIGNEWY
make title more descriptive

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you want to tell me how you expect 50000lbs of metal and fuel to do something besides sink into the dirt?

now try a flanker with no weapons and 15% fuel

taxies around on the dirt just fine

physics is not stupid

Edited by probad

Some planes are intended to land on dirt, especially soviet?

Yes, some are, but not the one you were driving, apparently.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

ground around taxiways is hardened, right? its construction standard..never soft meadow. even if it is meadow some planes still can land on it. nobody dig cliffs around taxiway man. I've lost so many hours on this "feature" that has nothing to do with RL. ... im flying mig15, mig 21 etc. but its the same with every module. and what about afterburner power? ain't that a breeze?

Edited by jackmckay

ground around taxiways is hardened, right?

Why? Pilots are expected to keep the aircraft on the taxiway. If it were compacted enough to support significant weight then grass certainly would not grow.

Btw, those are nice links but they tell you nothing about test results for the ground around the taxiway.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Aaron-Lewis-plane.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Then why T90, Abrams, BMP, or even Humvee don't slip into living sand of taxiways?

A BMP or Humvee doesn't weigh anything close to what a jet fighter weighs. In the case of something like the Abrams, please consider how many square feet of contact you have between the treads and the ground compared to the tires on an aircraft.

The concept is called weight distribution. Do the math. Math is your friend.

• Like 1

One thing is heavy impact of fast lander on runway surface another is 5km/h taxing around airbase. Its not farmland with crops. That would I understand but this is way out of course.

The plane weighs somewhere around 20-25 tons, standing still, on a small number of tires with very little contact with the ground. Again, do the math. Of course, landing force compounds the problem, which is why the runway is paved with a very large gravel bed under the pavement.

Again, very nice links but they do not answer the pertinent question of what the test values for the ground next a runway are.

Edit. I also would not assume that ED models the weight of the various ground units like they do the aircraft since it is not overly relevant whereas the weight of the aircraft is very relevant.

Edited by cichlidfan

Let the ED team answers that question?

I take it that you are assuming that the aircraft is not stuck. How do you know? Momentum could have gotten it that far.

I take it that you are assuming that the aircraft is not stuck. How do you know? Momentum could have gotten it that far.

Take Mig15 with 50% of fuel and hit the taxiway. Slip. No way that it can stuck in that soil easy. Plane has shock absorbers, wheels have inflated tires. No peak rigid pressure impulse here only very soft and gradual pressure distribution on tire face. And plane always has this inertial pulsation of some kind there.

Edited by jackmckay

I can certainly attest that a lightly loaded combat aircraft (Tornado in my experience) will quite happily bog itself in up to the axles if it leaves the taxyway, even with just one oleo. Why would anyone think otherwise?

Old Soviet aircraft may be designed to cope with rough strips, but not turf laid over soil. Even something as light as a DH Chipmunk, operating from a (rolled) grass strip, has bogged in (and nosed over) in my experience when it deviated from the prepared grass area.

• Like 1

Aaron-Lewis-plane.jpg

And on this day, a corporate pilot lost his dream job.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD