How to set up AI so that it does not fire till after the merge

Bearfoot

To practice WVR engagements "dueling" style, I would like to have the player + AI opponents fly at each and other and only start engaging after the merge. Is there any way to suppress the AI from firing its heaters before the merge?

Edited by Bearfoot

How complex is the mission?

Air starts head on or takeoff from ramp etc.?

As simple as needed and no more simpler!

So yes, air start at co-altitude should be fine. Head-on should be OK to, but it would nice if this can be varied,

Probably a zone attached to yourself and set AI from weapons hold to fire at will some seconds after entering that zone radius?

I though of this, but the problem is that the AI will enter the radius before the merge as the radius is centered around one of the a/c. If the radius is large enough to allow decent lateral separation, then the AI will almost certainly be able to launch a heater to your face before the merge.

I though of this, but the problem is that the AI will enter the radius before the merge as the radius is centered around one of the a/c. If the radius is large enough to allow decent lateral separation, then the AI will almost certainly be able to launch a heater to your face before the merge.

Two options in the mission attached

YOU fly into the Trigger and set flag on 1 (Weapons Free)

Or delete this and use the Radio menu / other / Weapons Free (Flag 1 On)

Or use both and place the zone where you want need it (test) with a backup radio command.;)

SoH FA-18C BFM ANY.miz

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Two options in the mission attached

YOU fly into the Trigger and set flag on 1 (Weapons Free)

Or delete this and use the Radio menu / other / Weapons Free (Flag 1 On)

Or use both and place the zone where you want need it (test) with a backup radio command.;)

Thanks! Will give it a try. A radio call seems to be the most reliable way to get this.

Noodled with it a bit.

Here's an initial ROE restriction with a timer that works out so that the bandit flips weapons free after the merge. Seems to work pretty well.

Thanks! Will give this also a try after work. I assume that, if it is based on time, the initial distance/speed is critical?

You can set two "Moving Trigger Zone", one attached to the player and the other attached to the AI.

When player enters the AI zone Flag(1) is set.

When AI enters the player zone Flag(2) is set.

Simple condition to check if both flags are set then they are merged.

So, I had a chance to give both missions a run.

And they both work!

Good job, folks, and thank you!

I think the approach with two moving zones that need to be entered to trigger the weapons free flag is a little more robust to variation in starting distance and closure. With the static zone, if you are not careful in the setup, it is possible that one guy enters or even passes through it while the other guy is still approaching it. The radio command is a nice backup in cases like this. So ideally, a hybrid approach may be the best solution?