27" 144Hz or Oculus rift - What will it be?

Hello all,

I have a 24" 60Hz screen with a 1080ti gpu.

I cannot decide between current gen VR or quality 27" 144Hz monitor.

What say you?

If there is simeone here who has both and can provide inside information on what's more useful, it would be great.

10x in advance for the advice!

I have the Asus Predator X34 that I use. But when I fly, I only use my Rift. I use the X34 for when I need to setup some key bindings etc. but that's about it. And before the X34, I had three 24" 1080P monitors with 2 8" USB Lilliputs for MFDs. None of it compares to VR *FOR ME*.

You're going to hear two camps

1) VR is the best thing in the world.

2) Resolution isn't good enough so I'll keep waiting.

Only you can decide where you'll find yourself. If you try VR, you *have* to fiddle with the HMD to find the sweet spot. And you have to have a beefy system.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Camp 2 here, tried VR for a while then sold my rift

I would go for the screen (if it has Gsync)

I use X34 with Gsync, best thing I have bought for my PC

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Camp 1.

I don't know what hans means by having to find the sweet spot for the HUD, I've never done anything more than hit the rift center button once and fly for hours.

I have a triple monitor setup (27") with TrackIR. Haven't used it since I got the rift and moved all my flight sim stuff away from them.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

If there is simeone here who has both and can provide inside information on what's more useful, it would be great.

Uselful for what? For immersion, Rift is unbeatable. For actual missions flying, it's barely usable, you'll need to make some compromises to make it work.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Same here...i had the Rift for some months but then i sold it...Vr is great and the immersion is unbelievable...but aftee the wow moment passed all the problems arised..

1) performance

2) not enough resolution for a drink display that close to the eyes

3) usability during long and serious missions for using advanced controls etc...

I like the post above who says that vr is great for immersion but at least for now, for serious simming you should use a big monitor (3 screens or ultrawide is better) i have a samsung 32" curved monitor 144hz at 2560x1440 and what I'd like is to have other 2 of it

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Same here...i had the Rift for some months but then i sold it...Vr is great and the immersion is unbelievable...but aftee the wow moment passed all the problems arised..

1) performance

2) not enough resolution for a drink display that close to the eyes

3) usability during long and serious missions for using advanced controls etc...

I like the post above who says that vr is great for immersion but at least for now, for serious simming you should use a big monitor (3 screens or ultrawide is better) i have a samsung 32" curved monitor 144hz at 2560x1440 and what I'd like is to have other 2 of it

Hehe I wouldn't jump on that too quickly. 1080Ti is JUSt pushing 4k.

7680x1440 would be pretty rough.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Camp 1.

I don't know what hans means by having to find the sweet spot for the HUD, I've never done anything more than hit the rift center button once and fly for hours.

I have a triple monitor setup (27") with TrackIR. Haven't used it since I got the rift and moved all my flight sim stuff away from them.

Lot of people complain that Rift (or others) are not very clear, muddy, hard to read the HUD etc. You really have to move the HMD around and you'll see that text becomes much clearer. In Vive, for example, some people resorted to shaving off the foam to get closer to the lens. So again, it's very much dependent on the person and how good their eye sight is. Mine is not that bad, but I can't tell the difference in clarity between Odyssey and Rift. Others see marked difference.

Also, later planes are better looking in VR. Huey and A10C are fine. But FA18 and Harrier are much better in VR in terms of visuals.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hehe I wouldn't jump on that too quickly. 1080Ti is JUSt pushing 4k.

7680x1440 would be pretty rough.

You are right...3 1080p monitors would be better for performance

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

VR is for sure the best option. Can't fly without it, even though I have a pretty good UW monitor. There are a few issues, for sure, but I have no problems reading the instruments and performing long missions. Nothing beats the immersion in flight-sim, nothing.

Intel i7-13700k | Zotac Trinity RTX 4090 | Asrock B660 Steel Legend | 32Gb RAM 3600 | 2TB NVMe + 2TB SSD + 8TB HDD | Corsair TX850M | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | LG 4K OLED 48CX8LC

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL

The first hurdle is Motion Sickness..which still haunts me.

You have to be able to use them without getting sick, most get over it, some don't and I may belong to the last group.

Try one out before you buy if you can.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

VR all the way here. Since i tried it i can never go back to a monitor again for flight sims, it just does not motivate me anymore. As for usability, you get used to it and for A2A i play just as well and as proficient. Dogfight are awesome now just like i was there....For A2G is definetily a bit harder to spot ground targets.

Best answer you can find here is.... you have to try it for at least 5 min in order to make an informed decission. Take care!

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

IMHO, VR all the way

And while on the subject of trying VR: if you jump straight to DCS world instant free flight action, you will probably be motion sick. Start slow, with some stationary demo, no free camera roam, and most importantly, none of these "rollercoaster experiences" - they will make you puke or strongly nauseous at best if you are a "VRgin" ;-)

As for me the immersion is unbeatable. I have a Vive, and a 55" 4k OLED display. And while 4k is beautiful, it's... just like looking at the window instead of sitting in a plane. For me, once you try VR, there is no coming back. It's a childhood dream come true, and probably the closest I will ever be to sitting in an actual fighter jet.

Also, ED said once that they are "cooperating" with makers of Pimax (chinese headset), and Pimax started to send out beta testing units recently (

). Pimax has higher resolution than current headsets on the market and will use Vive lighthouses (steamvr tracking system). It utilises two 4k panels and a massive 200 degrees field of view, though the signal from the gpu is 1440p, so it upscales things to 4k. Still it should improve clarity much. I'm actually waiting impatiently for the beta testing NDA period to end and SweViver impressions with DCS World. Based on that, you might want to wait, or get a discounted vive (NOT PRO) to get the vive lighthouses and controllers and you will be "future-proof" if pimax proves a success.

Bottom line - for me, playing DCS on the monitor, even in glorious 4k with head-tracking (I have a trackir clone) is like watching an (interactive) movie. I _think_ I also tried 1080p 120fps mode, but still it is simply not comparable to VR. In VR it's sitting in the [censored ;-)] fighter jet and actually flying it. Those are apples to oranges in my opinion, and VR wins hands down for me.

PS: As

, it's simming vs actual flying.
Edited by StarLightPL

The first hurdle is Motion Sickness..which still haunts me.

You have to be able to use them without getting sick, most get over it, some don't and I may belong to the last group.

Try one out before you buy if you can.

+1 VERY valid point, I suffer from motion sickness in a lot of FPS games (I canny play a lot of them)

First time i tried a hard banking turn low to the ground in a heli I almost puked

Discovered that if I tilted my head in direction of turn all was well tho

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

+1 VERY valid point, I suffer from motion sickness in a lot of FPS games (I canny play a lot of them)

First time i tried a hard banking turn low to the ground in a heli I almost puked

Yikes. Thank you for this information. I almost pulled the trigger on a new Rift, but this post made me change my mind.

I occasionally get motion sick with an FPS. It affects me for hours after I have to stop playing. Having a VR setup where I would have to force myself to be sick to acclimatize would defeat the purpose of this being an enjoyable experience.

It depends

If your a pixel watcher then a monitor

If you want emersion then the rift, I love mine got three Acer 24” monitors in storage that I took down after getting my rift and a Apple display for my cmp

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

It's normal, and that "technique" helps in the beginning. It's basically our version of AGSM :lol:

Yikes. Thank you for this information. I almost pulled the trigger on a new Rift, but this post made me change my mind.

I occasionally get motion sick with an FPS. It affects me for hours after I have to stop playing. Having a VR setup where I would have to force myself to be sick to acclimatize would defeat the purpose of this being an enjoyable experience.

I don't get sick playing FPS games, so I cannot relate to your experience nor I can "guarantee" it will pass with time. All I can say is find a demo (or a DCS user with VR near you ;) ) and try it. VR is magical on its own, and not all games or experiences require "nausea inducing" movement modes. Also fun fact - having a cockpit in front of you helps a bit. If you're trying external views as a newbie however, then you're on a ride to Puketown.

Also, one very important thing. VR nausea is also directly linked to the performance of your rig. Currently, DCS really sucks in that area unless you have a very powerful computer. Basically you want the engine to pump a constant 180 fps (90fps times two eyes) because if it doesn't you get so-called "motion to photon" latency which can be perceived for frametimes longer than 11ms (90fps). The worst part of it is that you don't "perceive" it so much, but you "feel" weird. Of course there is micro-stuttering etc. but those are secondary to the discrepancy in sensor input your brain feels. This is partly amended by the rendering techniques called Reprojection (both oculus and vive have it, oculus one being better at the job). What it does, it anticipates where your head will move and tries to render previous frame based on that, but skewed. This makes most of the micro-stuttering disappear, giving an illusion of fluid movement. Still, your brain is not so easily fooled (at least in this particular area), and having a lot of reprojection may lead to feeling nauseous after a playing session.

With all that scary things said, I lost the nausea somewhere around the 3-6 months after owning a Vive. And I can play DCS no problems despite it's poor vr performance (on my i5-3570k potato with oc'd 1070 and 8gb RAM - between 30-45 fps) for hours. Also, like mentioned, due to this performance problems, DCS isn't the best title to test VR on. Of course, if your main reason for purchase is playing DCS than by all means try it first. But like said VR > DCS, there are other great games out there, for example Skyrim VR :D

Try if you can, and enjoy. VR is magical on it's own :-)