R-73 AA Missile Useless

Mallard of Death

I fly with Su-25 (not T), I have 2 R-73 Air-to-Air missiles. I see two Mi-24. I fire my R-73 at one helicopter. 80% of the time the missile misses (Mi-24 deploys decoys). 20% of the time the R-73 hits, it doesn't even leave a scratch on the helicopter. Most of the time, I get shot down by a damn helicopter.

I remember playing this mission 3 years ago without Mi-24 being titanium-plated. What gives?

Help!

Note: I am using 1.5.8 version, since 2.5 works horrible.

It's not useless, you just don't know how to use it. Try firing from behind and close where the Mi-24 can't see you. That way, it will surely hit 100% of the time.

And BTW, if you are flying the Instant Action Su-25A mission, its not the R-73, but the R-60M.

R-73 is not for 25A version. If you are playing with mod you should post this question in a mod thread.

Note: helicopter temperature sign is lower. Try launch your first missile closer.

I am using a whopping 0 mods! And whatever the version the R-73 is, it's useless.

"helicopter temperature sign is lower."

No way! I thought the decoy flares are just a visual distraction, like a fireworks.

"Try to launch your first missile closer"

Umm, I get shredded by 2 Mi-24 then.

IR seeker see itself the flare decoy different than your eye. It is like the helicopter become bigger while moving and make a flashing IR sign. Just shot the missil closer, from behind and your speed below 450Kh

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why it misses: IR missiles typically has a low resistence to flares. It also depends on the IR signature of the target. Since most helicopters have a very low IR signature, the missiles are even more likely to get spoofed, when attacking such targets. Attacking from rear aspect will make the missile harder to be spoofed, in most cases.

Why it hits, but doesnt cause much damage: The R-60M was designed to be a 'tiny' A2A missile which even the lightest airframe can carry it. As such, it has a relatively weak warhead, compared to other AAMs. And the Mi-24 is an attack helicopter designed to withstand a lot of fire and still stay in one piece, that's why the R-60M, or even other larger AAMs, are unable to take it down with a single hit.

Better use guns then...pew pew pew!:D