CA: Will AI units ever hit trees when firing and loose sight of not in LOS?

Dutch Baron

Hello all,

Will AI units ever be modeled in a way that they can NOT see through trees and buildings?

I was expecting that with 2.5 and the collidable trees, it would also be for AI and thereby drastically improving DCS realism to super awesome levels?

After numerous tests I found that AI still sees clients from anywhere anytime, client fired missiles go straight through trees and AI fired missiles go through trees as well.

Thanks for any answer from ED.

Edited by Dutch Baron
http://www.TAWDCS.org ### JOINT TASK FORCE JTF-88 ### https://tawdcs.org/battalion/88th/ ### PC: i9 - 32Gb RAM - GTX 1080Ti - TM Warthog Stick and Throttle - MFG Crosswind Black - TrackIR5 - Buddy Fox UFC

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. This is why I am not compelled to purchase the CA module. DCS 2.5 features, like " trees and buildings," do not appear to block LOS from the AI perspective. Although I am not sure if DCS has confirmed this. I hope they fix it but I wouldn`t hold your breath because they have way too much on their plate with Persian Gulf and F18 module which most will probably buy. Maybe they will address this down the road when when the latter is finished---I hope they do.

Edited by Emra

• 1 month later...

Based on my current playthrough of the Ka-50 'deployment' campaign it seems that player launched missiles can hit trees and explode prematurely. I'm not sure about AI fired ones, but I'd guess that they follow the same rules.

Cannon rounds, on the other hand, pass through even the densest foliage (and tree trunks) unimpeded. AIs can see through the trees, which led to me getting nailed by a BMP-2 that was completely hidden in a small copse at the edge of a town. On the other hand I was able to take down some enemy infantry by randomly firing 30mm shells into a forest, so at least it cuts both ways.

• 4 weeks later...

To the best of my knowledge, ground units can no longer detect aircraft through trees or buildings, either visually or with radar.

Try putting an SA-15 next to a forest. Approach from over the forest at low level, then try approaching it from flat ground at low level. Last time I checked in the mission editor, the SA-15 can't engage until it has line of sight. It can't engage you until you pass over it when approaching low over the forest, while it will engage at the usual range attempting to approach it over open ground.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't been playing CA very long, but one of the things that really bugs me is how AI sees through trees and houses, when I can't ever see them and getting the cr#p shot out of me in the process.

Salutations,

We have the same immersion breaking problems with the WWII IL2-Stalingrad simulations tank portion of the game.

A new tank module it due out in the future. It is 'expected' to correct these gameplay anomalies.