The Jet Engine thread

Vitormouraa

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jet Engine thread

1200px-F110-GE_Turbofan_Engine.jpg

Here we are yet again, with the GE-F101. Today, I will be getting information from our F101-GE-100.

The F101-GE-100, being produced by the General Electric engineering company, is an afterburner turbofan jet engine, which hauls more a** than most Boeing 757's out there. This engine provides the average thrust (depending on the variant of the engine that we are calling for here) of more than 30,000 lbs. of thrust, which is over 130 kN! This is for each engine, giving us a maximum base thrust of just topping over 120,000 lbs. of thrust, or 520 kN... And as you may know, the F101-GE-100 was the first of the General Electric family turbofan engines to provide an afterburner, being designed specifically for the designation of the powerplants for the B-1 Lancer, a strategic nuclear bomber. More or so to be even more specific, it was aimed at the Advanced Manned Strategic Aircraft (AMSA) project, for the B-1A Lancer. This engine was under the four variants of the B-1 Lancer for 11 years, going from 1970 to 1981.

6.1975-1308.fp.png_v01

You can see here provided is the engineering design of the F101-GE-100, which was signed under the contracting names of R. C. Hawkins and T. I. Hampton. Some of our information given here can be read, as such:

•  
  • Thrust Class: 30,000 lbs. (130k N)

• Airflow: ~350 lbs. / sec

• Inlet diameter: 45 in. (~1.14 m.)

• Length: 181 in. (~4.6 m.)

• Bypass ratio: 2:1

I would go on even more about this specific type, but I would rather let you read from our picture instead.

IVXTk3f.jpg

Now hopping onto our B-1 Lancer...

I'll save that for another time.

Nice post. This engine has almost the same frontal diameter as the TF34. Which is a high bypass engine! It's insane how big this thing is. The airflow is also similar. But produces 3x times the thrust of a TF34!

Edited by Vitormouraa

lockheed-f22-raptor-super-aircraft-wallpaper-KC866-living-room-home-wall-modern-art-decor-wood-frame.jpg_640x640.jpg

... You can see here now that the Raptor is going afterburner and clearly a Mach speed due to the wing vortices being created over the slats...

Interesting info, thanks! But i doubt he is supersonic with flaps down.

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

I am guessing the fly by wire in the F-22 makes the flaps go down in tight turns because of G and allowing airflow to rush through, providing extra lift before the F-22 starts to sink.

At supersonic speeds, that would cause enourmous drag for no additional lift. That Raptor is definitely not supersonic.

You can have wing vapor at just about any speed, the airflow over the wing at high AoA causes low pressure regions to form. As the air flows through the low pressure regions, it is adiabatically cooled below the dew point, hence visible moisture.

Mach disks are caused by shockwaves off the nose and look very different.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

image.jpg

The heck? Is that an afterburning private jet?

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The Jet Engine thread

Looks like they found a crack in the engine's fan blade. Due to centrifugal forces and fatigue, this crack probably developed into a bigger crack and the fan blade ended up flying towards the fuselage, breaking a window and killing a woman.

This is very serious. As mvsgas pointed out, the Southwest had a similar issue in 2016, so I wonder if that happened due to poor maintenance.

Article: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ntsb-finds-interior-crack-in-failed-southwest-cfm-447825/

Edited by Vitormouraa

NrSK7afoMjY

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Here you can see the PW AB stages light up in sequence

bB2QfNNoSqM

To whom it may concern,

NrSK7afoMjY

Looks more like a Blade departure, and not a cracked blade.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

While GE engines don't have stages :)

Thanks for sharing!

GE uses spray bars. IIRC, you have three sets: Local, Fan and core. You can have one fan spray bar missing/broken off without affecting performance. It also only use one igniter (PW-220 use two igniters)

[ATTACH]182846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]182847[/ATTACH]

To whom it may concern,

QhmQTffYlbU

To whom it may concern,

GE uses spray bars. IIRC, you have three sets: Local, Fan and core. You can have one fan spray bar missing/broken off without affecting performance. It also only use one igniter (PW-220 use two igniters)

[ATTACH]182846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]182847[/ATTACH]

Where did you get these images from? I'd love to get my hands on it. Is it publicly available?

Where did you get these images from? I'd love to get my hands on it. Is it publicly available?

The images are originally from a 1F-16CG-2-70FI-00-11. I do not know if it is publicly available, I do not have a copy. Over the years I collected stuff like this I used to study when I was working the aircraft. This images are from study material I got when I went through intake and exhaust class, back in 2000 while station in Osan AB.

To whom it may concern,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,