Dynamic Nose and Tail Number system

Zeus67

Thanks but It doesn't change much, here is what I get with your code:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/589559Screen170204154827.jpg

Default, without code:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/522174Screen170204154853.jpg

:(:cry:

Haha. Same experience, same skin, same result.

I think we all know the skins need to be modified, we are asking if anyone knows how to modify them to disable the numbering system so we can use the skins we downloaded.

I don't mind doing the work, I just want my skins to work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Haha. Same experience, same skin, same result.

I think we all know the skins need to be modified, we are asking if anyone knows how to modify them to disable the numbering system so we can use the skins we downloaded.

I don't mind doing the work, I just want my skins to work

Exactly! :thumbup:

Okey guys...

To purely disable all numbering system for additionnal camo

- Copy the "empty.dss" file you can found in any existing regular camo folder into the modded camo folder.

- Do what is discribed here : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3038992&postcount=22

- Take care to replace the M2KC_1T_<texname> and M2KC_2T_<texname> by the proper texture name corresponding to ext1 and ext2 index in the array.

Edited by sedenion

And, here is an example of addon camo i just modified to be compatible with the dynamic numbering (dynamic numbering is not disabled, it WORKS) :

http://www.ovoid.org/pub/M-2000C%20-%20Camo%20Desert%20Storm.zip

(OVGME/JSGME comptable mod).

The camo mod is based on the Desert Storm camo by Rafal Stankiewicz (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1766090/)

You can see and compare how i modified the original mod to adapt it...

Enjoy...

attachment.php?attachmentid=156571&stc=1&d=1486228056

snap45452.thumb.jpg.3354a8a1d10d88038d33d4b370fcd035.jpg

Edited by sedenion

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do. I'll check oit it later and get back.

Thank you, much.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

sedenion, so wrong...

1) why would you copy empty.dds to livery folder while simultaneusly disabling its use

2) try your fix with some darker livery color and see how it goes

--

Right code is to put texture name with false & empty.dds false or true depending if using empty.dds in livery folder - Still that doesn't help much since the dynamic box still exists with skin.

Folks,

When posting my code, I wasn't intending to provide a skinning tutorial, but rather to provide the entries you would need to remove the open spaces on the skin. The bottom line is that the ext1 material name will have one texture (likely with 1T) and ext2 will have another texture name (likely with 2T). Assuming the skinners used the existing file naming convention, my code works. However, if the textures are not named with this convention, you will need to substitute the entire name.

As for the empty lines, those should be OK as is. The way the lines work is that you have the material name (e.g. ext1), the texture type (0 for diffuse, aka visible and 3 or "decal" for overlay), the texture name (no extension needed), and true/false is whether the file is in the same folder as description.lua (false) or located somewhere in the path (true). Since there are "empty" files in the path, you don't need to copy another empty.dds file or rename it to false.

Since the problem is likely with the diffuse layer, please post the contents of a description.lua that is giving you issues so I can tell you how to fix it.

sedenion, so wrong...

1) why would you copy empty.dds to livery folder while simultaneusly disabling its use

Because you must use it. empty.dds is a default little texture to make numbering mesh transparent, so they don't appear with the default ugly texture like we can see in some previous screeshots. This is why in the description.lua you have some lines with "empty", this is a reference to this texture. This texture must be placed in the same folder than others liverie textures.

The numbering mesh exists, you can't delete them, and you have to assign a texture to them, or they got the default "void" texture. So to avoid "seeing" them, you have to made them fully transparent (as mentionned above).

2) try your fix with some darker livery color and see how it goes

Show me, i don't know what you are talking about.

Edited by sedenion

I wasn't asking anything, I just told you how to do it. I just told you that you can't get rid of the static mesh and that the code which you 2 provided is wrong. Why do you assume that I requesting some help with this? I'm helping you with this.

I wasn't asking anything, I just told you how to do it. I just told you that you can't get rid of the static mesh and that the code which you 2 provided is wrong. Why do you assume that I requesting some help with this? I'm helping you with this.

You tell me i am wrong, you asked me a question ("why would you copy empty.dds to livery folder while simultaneusly disabling its use"), i tell you i am right and i explain to you why. Any problem with that ? If yes, you explain...

This is why in the description.lua you have some lines with "empty", this is a reference to this texture. This texture must be placed in the same folder than others liverie textures.

You need only add the empty.tga or empty.dds texture to your livery folder if the last argument in the line is set to false. As long as it is set to true, DCS will find the existing empty.tga in the texture path

Edited by Home Fries

You need only add the empty.tga or empty.dds texture to your livery folder if the fourth argument is set to false. As long as it is set to true, DCS will find the existing empty.tga in the texture path

Ok... but it seem people experience problems with your method...

Edited by sedenion

I see what I did. I had the diffuse textures set to "true" because I use a common texture folder for my skins. I set the diffuse textures to "false" and it should work fine now. The code in my post was updated, but here it is so people don't have to go looking:

{"FUSE_NUMBER1_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"FUSE_NUMBER1_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"FUSE_NUMBER2_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"FUSE_NUMBER2_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"FUSE_NUMBER2_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"FUSE_NUMBER2_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER1_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER1_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER1_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER2_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER2_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER2_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER3_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER3_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER3_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"NOSE_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"NOSE_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"NOSE_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGR_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGR_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGR_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGL_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGL_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGL_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

Okey guys...

To purely disable all numbering system for additionnal camo

- Copy the "empty.dss" file you can found in any existing regular camo folder into the modded camo folder.

- Do what is discribed here : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3038992&postcount=22

- Take care to replace the M2KC_1T_<texname> and M2KC_2T_<texname> by the proper texture name corresponding to ext1 and ext2 index in the array.

Thanks, it works! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

On any livery, even the official ones, if you look closely you can spot the "squares" where the dynamic characters and numbers are (on the tail, wings etc), but it's not really an issue as you need to zoom in a lot to those areas and rotate it to get some light reflection. Although it becomes more noticeable on a dark livery.

The problem is when the livery uses a custom specular map, then it becomes much more visible.

So my guess is that the new polygons used for the character/numbering decals isn't sharing the specular material as the rest, or rather, isn't using any specular map at all.

I've tried to add lines to the description.lua like this:

{"FUSE_NUMBER1_001", 2 ,"<specularmap>",false};

but it didn't have any effect.

Is there a way to solve this?

First argument is the material name.

2nd argument is the material layer it affects (0 = diffuse, 2 = spec, etc.)

3rd argument is the filename without the extension. I don't think < or > is a valid filename character.

4th argument: "true" indicates it's built into the default DCS paths, "false" means you get it from the local directory.

Maybe I wasn't clear before. So here are pictures to illustrate the issue.

User made liveries:

livery_1.jpg

livery_2.jpg

Default liveries:

livery_default_1.jpg

livery_default_2.jpg

User made liveries:

liverywing_1.jpg

liverywing_2.jpg

Default liveries:

liverywing_default_1.jpg

liverywing_default_2.jpg

As you can see on a skin with a specific specular map, the polygons assigned to the dynamic numbering are really visible. You can see it on default liveries too, but it's more subtle.

But I guess this is beyond our control. So could the devs please implement specular attributes to the material on the dynamic numbering polygons?

That way, a specular map can be linked, and match the rest of the airframe's material. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
How change the number on Mirage?

In the mission editor, you type it in the "TAIL #" box.

So on a french squadron you can change the last letter and the plane's number which you see on the tail.

As an example for the 2/5 "Ile-de-France" squadron you will have on the nose "115-Lx" and a tail number "nnn". So if you type in the box "LA-123" you will get as result: 115-LA and 123 as tail number. You can also type AAA123 as recommended in the first post. You can just type and experiment for different liveries to have the results you're looking for.

If you already knew that and wanted to have dynamic numbering on user-made liveries which don't have it, then it's more complicated because you need to have the texture match the placement of the numbering. If you don't know what I'm talking about you can just disregard this. :)

I still hope this helps.

I haven't received any reply on my previous request, if the devs or anyone involved could please let me know?

My question in short: Could you add specularity on the numbering material?

Would it be possible for you to look into it? Thank you.

In the mission editor, you type it in the "TAIL #" box.

So on a french squadron you can change the last letter and the plane's number which you see on the tail.

As an example for the 2/5 "Ile-de-France" squadron you will have on the nose "115-Lx" and a tail number "nnn". So if you type in the box "LA-123" you will get as result: 115-LA and 123 as tail number. You can also type AAA123 as recommended in the first post. You can just type and experiment for different liveries to have the results you're looking for.

If you already knew that and wanted to have dynamic numbering on user-made liveries which don't have it, then it's more complicated because you need to have the texture match the placement of the numbering. If you don't know what I'm talking about you can just disregard this. :)

I still hope this helps.

Thank you :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't received any reply on my previous request, if the devs or anyone involved could please let me know?

My question in short: Could you add specularity on the numbering material?

Would it be possible for you to look into it? Thank you.

I'll ask the texturer to look into your request, but he is quite busy with the AV-8B N/A these days.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."