DCS 2.5.2 + Oculus Rift + W7

Ron Attwood

Short question. Does it work?

I was introduced to VR at Duxford Flying Legends and it blew my socks off! Simon Pearson, a head honcho at ED, who you all know, took my hand and walked me out of a Spitfire cockpit onto the wing. Jesus! It really did feel 3000' up.

So when I got home I downloaded the Oculus tool and everything was go except the OS. It demanded W10. Frankly I'm not at all keen on up(?)grading to W10. Will W7 64bit work?

You won't get the benefit of ASW with Windows 7, but not that big a deal - I actually prefer to fly without it enabled as I get a better experience.

Also the new Rift Core 2.0 and Dash will not work with Windows 7, that is what needs Windows 10. At least to get all the features from what I understand.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-rift-core/

You can still run the older legacy Oculus Home 1.0 - but who knows if/when Oculus might drop support for it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just when I could see the bottom of this pool you've just muddied the water!

Rift Core 2.0? I looked at the link and couldn't decide if that's something I'd need for flight simming. As for the Dash, isn't that a lower spec version?

All I want to do is to fly in DCS and P3D using my normal flight controllers.

Can I go buy an Oculus Rift, plug it in, faff with settings and fly?

Just when I could see the bottom of this pool you've just muddied the water!

Rift Core 2.0? I looked at the link and couldn't decide if that's something I'd need for flight simming. As for the Dash, isn't that a lower spec version?

All I want to do is to fly in DCS and P3D using my normal flight controllers.

Can I go buy an Oculus Rift, plug it in, faff with settings and fly?

Yes of course you can.

Oculus Home is the environment you will open into when you put on a Rift Headset.

Either the classic Oculus Home, or the new Oculus Home 2 which uses the RiftCore 2.0 and Dash. All related to the Oculus Home environment.

IF you wanted all the features in your Oculus Home 2 environment experience to work properly, you would need Oculus Home 2 and Windows 10.

You will be able to fly just fine either way, except no ASW with Windows 7.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi Ron,

What graphics card are you running with W7? Rift needs a powerful card to run well, at least a GTX 970.

M

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

I tried Windows 10 during three months ... didnt like it, couldnt get it to perform smoothly at all times, so I went back to Windows 8.1 and got smooth performance again.

A couple of months ago I purchased a second hand Rift and found that it works fine on W8.1 and DCS ... but I dont play other games, only DCS.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB