How to set up toggle switches (a tutorial)

Hey,

First of all I would like to thank all the users that benevolently come here to help out other users. It is much appreciated and I've learned a lot.

(I posted this same text in this topic, but I really intended to post here)

I am in the process of building some panels for the MI-24 Hind and I came across some difficulties in assigning two toggle switches and respective covers bindings to my physical switches. I followed the useful help in this topic and for a row of 3 switches and covers, I have this edited in the default lua file:

{down = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_COVER_Ext,             pressed = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_Ext,                up = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_COVER_Ext,        cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAP_SYS,         value_down = 1, value_pressed = 1, value_up = 0,    name = _('Pilot Jettison Pylons Switch and Cover, UP/DOWN'),        category = {_('Weapon Panel')}},
{down = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_PU_COVER_Ext,         pressed = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_PU_Ext,             up = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_PU_COVER_Ext,    cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAP_SYS,         value_down = 1, value_pressed = 1 value_up = 0,         name = _('Pilot Jettison Launcher Switch and Cover, UP/DOWN'),        category = {_('Weapon Panel')}},
{down = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_EXPLODE_COVER_Ext,             pressed = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_EXPLODE,                     up = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_EXPLODE_COVER_Ext,        cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAP_SYS,        value_down = 1, value_pressed = 1, value_up = 0,    name = _('Pilot Explosion on Jettison Switch and Cover, UP/DOWN'),    category = {_('Weapon Panel')}},

One of the switches (the third line of code) works flawlessly. It's perfect, my physical switch goes up and in the sim, the cover goes up followed by the switch. The other two don't work, even if it all appears normal and equal as the previous. My physical switch is activated and the sim cover goes up, but the sim switch goes berserk and just flicks on and off really fast, without stopping. Any thoughts?

They are connected through a Bodnar Board, BBI-32, and I've tested the switches in other bindings and they work as intended.

Thanks

44 minutes ago, Gipsy said:

Hey,

First of all I would like to thank all the users that benevolently come here to help out other users. It is much appreciated and I've learned a lot.

(I posted this same text in this topic, but I really intended to post here)

I am in the process of building some panels for the MI-24 Hind and I came across some difficulties in assigning two toggle switches and respective covers bindings to my physical switches. I followed the useful help in this topic and for a row of 3 switches and covers, I have this edited in the default lua file:

{down = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_COVER_Ext,             pressed = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_Ext,                up = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_COVER_Ext,        cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAP_SYS,         value_down = 1, value_pressed = 1, value_up = 0,    name = _('Pilot Jettison Pylons Switch and Cover, UP/DOWN'),        category = {_('Weapon Panel')}},
{down = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_PU_COVER_Ext,         pressed = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_PU_Ext,             up = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_RELEASE_PU_COVER_Ext,    cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAP_SYS,         value_down = 1, value_pressed = 1 value_up = 0,         name = _('Pilot Jettison Launcher Switch and Cover, UP/DOWN'),        category = {_('Weapon Panel')}},
{down = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_EXPLODE_COVER_Ext,             pressed = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_EXPLODE,                     up = weapon_commands.Pilot_EMERG_EXPLODE_COVER_Ext,        cockpit_device_id = devices.WEAP_SYS,        value_down = 1, value_pressed = 1, value_up = 0,    name = _('Pilot Explosion on Jettison Switch and Cover, UP/DOWN'),    category = {_('Weapon Panel')}},

One of the switches (the third line of code) works flawlessly. It's perfect, my physical switch goes up and in the sim, the cover goes up followed by the switch. The other two don't work, even if it all appears normal and equal as the previous. My physical switch is activated and the sim cover goes up, but the sim switch goes berserk and just flicks on and off really fast, without stopping. Any thoughts?

They are connected through a Bodnar Board, BBI-32, and I've tested the switches in other bindings and they work as intended.

Thanks

I have not bought the Mi-24 but I did a trial, and I still have some of the files. It seems that the 3rd line represents a true 2-position switch and that's why this line works.
The 1st 2 lines represent pushbuttons which have a different structure in "clickabledata.lua". Even if I had the module I could probably not make these 2 lines work.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

9 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

I have not bought the Mi-24 but I did a trial, and I still have some of the files. It seems that the 3rd line represents a true 2-position switch and that's why this line works.
The 1st 2 lines represent pushbuttons which have a different structure in "clickabledata.lua". Even if I had the module I could probably not make these 2 lines work.

Thanks for the reply!

So, I guess, that's just the way it is and no way around it. Maybe, down the line, ED can make all the toggles in the Hind have a toggle-like structure.

• 1 month later...

It looks like lots of thing was changed after a yers in this case and i am totaly lost in information in this topic. Where are now locate the .lua files where i can edit the combos for specific button? If i want to do some changes for Mi-24P pilot buttons behavior what file need i edit? 

What i want to do, is change of behavior one button what need to be press and hold to be active, to toggle behavior , so when i press and release the button the action go on and hold, until i press the same button to go the action off.  It is even possible?

Edited by bingbean

• 3 months later...
  • ED Team
15 minutes ago, Miles Vorkosigan said:

@BIGNEWY (or other moderators) 

Would it be possible to edit the first post to include a link to LeCuvier's excellent PDF guide "How to Edit Control Binding Files"?

It is post 214 I believe, although the new forum does not show post numbers for me. 

I am blind and not seeing it, if you can please link it and tag me again

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I am blind and not seeing it, if you can please link it and tag me again

@BIGNEWY I cannot find my original post since the forum was converted to a new platform. I have created a new thread and posted the updated document there: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/270080-lua-editing-for-additional-key-binds-tutorial-no-discussion-here-please/#elControls_4646929_menu

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Like 2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2023 at 4:22 PM, BIGNEWY said:

added to the end of the first post.

thanks

The @LeCuvier 's guide is "Updated 19-FEB-2018". Is it up to date with respect to changes in DCS itself? Also, what about the DCS setting in Misc (or Special?) that says “Synchronize Cockpit Controls with HOTAS controls at Mission Start”? Why do some guides include fiddling to "ensure proper sync" when this option is available right there?

52 minutes ago, Bucic said:

The @LeCuvier 's guide is "Updated 19-FEB-2018". Is it up to date with respect to changes in DCS itself? Also, what about the DCS setting in Misc (or Special?) that says “Synchronize Cockpit Controls with HOTAS controls at Mission Start”? Why do some guides include fiddling to "ensure proper sync" when this option is available right there?

My post dated 18-JAN-2023 indicates that I have created a new thread with a more recently updated version of the document. I do not update the document in the old thread.
The fundamentals described in the document don't change that much. So don't expect an update every year. And the stuff about "Misc" settings is totally out of scope for that document.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

5 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

My post dated 18-JAN-2023 indicates that I have created a new thread with a more recently updated version of the document. I do not update the document in the old thread.
The fundamentals described in the document don't change that much. So don't expect an update every year. And the stuff about "Misc" settings is totally out of scope for that document.

I see. Thanks for your input. I'll be following this thread then
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/270080-lua-editing-for-additional-key-binds-tutorial-no-discussion-here-please/

• 2 months later...

Never needed to edit any files with my Hog VR setup.  Plug and play with control binding exactly the same as any other hotas switch or button. 

Just used inexpensive USB arcade game encoder boards in my switchboxes.  3 in total.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-Delay-CY-822D-1-Player-Control-Arcade-Encoder-with-USB-Cable-Wiring-Kit/112231582278?hash=item1a21860a46:g:QbsAAOSwImRYSqSb&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8LZIvuW3jLo9MrENwKzfnmaRVJNXTJLoBTnbDPqc6e2Otv0sYV7FPhaRz+OvqXZzyMIoPrndGWcApbOY3lcRehwzP6AONCQFzglGhlhcG/Byfkr5DWcXVSkYups40eBVFpwAwKEOAaFa+KROFuGLa3wmGERHtcLdSQocduBSf39Bt5wAi+EKSNpLZq95uxAQURWATySzWQNfiDD+ueU2ezO2IKNZ/Ghbk4tF6v+v9RymtBiHpWwu44x4Chwi+CNiETODaOC6F8oUTRWuDFvqmQIEDOVwwnVXEtv3RLlPokD0Cwwjwfk7/3wUXc5uWRCbOw==|tkp:Bk9SR-TX1oGHYg&pageci=217941e2-27f6-40ee-a7f7-ee3ad771637b&redirect=mobile

Hog electrical panel.  Canopy switch.  Master arm panel. Gear control lever.  Seat raise/lower switch.  Fuel panel.  Light test/ stab aug/ takeoff trim panel.

Placed exactly where you see them in the VR Hog cockpit.

Oh and collective for my beloved Huey.

DSC_0038

dateposted

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Really nice Setup, but not every one is able to build such stuff.

Also I think your setup works, because you use momentary switches. So you don't have the actual state of the switch mapped to physical reality.

I stepped away from non momentary switches, because it has its drawbacks. So your solution is a smart way and a good Trade-off to get as much benefits as possible without all the problems of a "real" phsical cockpit.

But it also depends on the module someone wants to fly and if all needed keybinds are dilivered.

Edited by kaltokri
fixed typo

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

• 2 weeks later...

Need help please, I'm trying to make a bind for the F14 Asymmetric thrust limiter off and cover open, else on and closed. I tried creating a line of code based off what Heatblur has in there for the master arm switch "master arm on and cover open else safe and closed" but I've had no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated, below is what i tried without success:

{down = device_commands.ENGINE_Asym_Limiter_And_Cover,     up = device_commands.ENGINE_Asym_Limiter_And_Cover, value_down = 1, value_up = 0, cockpit_device_id=devices.ENGINE, name = _('Asymmetric Thrust Limiter Off and Cover Open, else On and Closed'), category = _('Engine Control Panel')},

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

• 1 month later...

Try this: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/270487-quaggles-dcs-input-command-injector-mod-v109-store-custom-input-commands-safely-in-saved-games-instead-of-merging-them-with-developer-changes-each-update/#elControls_4651461_menu

I have adopted this tool after some hesitation and it works well.
I still use OvGME to move the modified "Data.lua" out and back during updates.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks LeCuvier. Looks ideal!

I guess my question is more what do I need to actually have in the file being added?

Do I just put the lines of code in the appropriate folder? Do they need to be renamed as custom settings or can they merge with the existing game ones?

All the basic stuff that someone who is fairly clueless about computers can handle.🙃

Cheers, Scream.

This thread contains a how-to document for editing the "default.lua" files in the game folder:https://forum.dcs.world/topic/270080-lua-editing-for-additional-key-binds-tutorial-no-discussion-here-please/#elControls_4646929_menu

When you use the Quaggles tool, you use default.lua files that contain only your additions and those are located under "Saved Games". The method for editing the .lua lines is he same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LeCuvier

• 1 month later...

I'm in need of some assistance setting up some guarded switched for the F-15E.

For the Engine Master Switches, following this thread and some others, I have tried;
DcsBios::SwitchWithCover2Pos fEngLMaster("F_ENG_L_MASTER", "F_ENG_L_MASTER", PIN);

The two commands are;
DcsBios::Switch2Pos fEngLMasterCvr("F_ENG_L_MASTER_CVR", PIN);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos fEngLMaster("F_ENG_L_MASTER", PIN);

Using SwitchWithCover2Pos, it only opens the guard, never flips the switch.

I'm pretty new to this, so maybe I'm missing a step, any ideas?

Thanks!

@Lanser: It seems that you are tryig to do something with DCS BIOS. This thread is not about DCS BIOS; it's about editing the "default.lua".

For DCS BIOS there is another subforum I believe.

Edit:
Adding lines to "default.lua" I can create a pushbutton command that will raise the cover and set the switch to ON. Example:

{down = engctrl_commands.left_eng_master_cover, up = engctrl_commands.left_eng_master_sw, cockpit_device_id = devices.DEEC, value_down =  1.0, value_up =  1.0, name = _('Left Engine Master Cover and Switch UP'), category = {_('Right Console'), _('Engine Panel')}},

I can also create a command for a maintained ON/OFF switch. HOTAS switch ON will raise the cover and set the engine master switch to ON. HOTAS switch OFF will set the engine master switch to OFF. However it will nat close the cover. I can only initiate 3 actions with one command. Example:

{down = engctrl_commands.left_eng_master_cover, pressed = engctrl_commands.left_eng_master_sw, up = engctrl_commands.left_eng_master_sw, cockpit_device_id = devices.DEEC, value_pressed =  1.0, value_down =  1.0, value_up =  0.0, name = _('Left Engine Master Switch and Cover UP/DOWN'), category = {_('Right Console'), _('Engine Panel')}},

You can use the same approach for the Right switch of course.

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Like 2

LeCuvier

Thank you so much for the info LeCuvier, like I said I'm very new to this.

Added that to my default.lua for both left and right, bound them to a keyboard input and it works great.

Spending some time reading through the "How to Edit Control Binding Files" tonight so I can figure out the reverse; 
engctrl_commands.left_eng_master_sw to off then engctrl_commands.right_eng_master_cover down      

5 hours ago, Lanser said:

Thank you so much for the info LeCuvier, like I said I'm very new to this.

Added that to my default.lua for both left and right, bound them to a keyboard input and it works great.

Spending some time reading through the "How to Edit Control Binding Files" tonight so I can figure out the reverse; 
engctrl_commands.left_eng_master_sw to off then engctrl_commands.right_eng_master_cover down      

Remember: any changes/additions to the "default.lua" in the game folder are lost when you update or repair. As a minimum, make a backup copy of the changed file.
Best solution is to use the Quaggles tool referred to some posts above.

• Like 2

LeCuvier