Problems with Mouse Setup

Jonni

Hello,

I’m relatively new to DCS, and I’m trying to setup my mouse controls in a way that makes sense to me for a while now, without any luck so far..

I’ve broken it down to basically 2 main issues, maybe someone can give me a hint?

1.) One part of the problem seems to be that the mouse click and/or release events doesn’t seem to be recognized by the game sometimes. In my current setup (which I think is the default), MMB should toggle between moving the mouse and rotating the view, and holding RMB should allow my to pan (while holding). Unfortunately, MMB only works in 9 out of 10 cases, and holding RMB sometimes leads to a state in which moving the mouse (after releasing RMB) still pans instead of rotates the view. It’s almost as if the “RMB Mouse Release” event isn’t caught reliable by the game. Any ideas what could be the problem here?

I’ve got no problems with this mouse in other softwares.

2.) Ideally, I want to setup my mouse controls similar to what I know from 3d software packages and without any “mode changing"

• Mouse movement: move Cursor on the screen (without rotating the view / looking around), interaction with the cockpit (clicking LMB and RMB) should be possible in this mode

• Move movement & MMB hold: Look around / rotate view

• Move movement & RMB hold: Transpose view / change position

Is there any way to setup the game like this?

Hm, never heard such issues before but what comes to my mind on this - I had some trouble with mouse clicks before I updated my pc rig. The system was just too weak and at the very low end of my FPS mouse clicks occasionally weren't recognized. Really don't know if this correlates with the issues you described but should be obvious to check. If you encounter very low FPS - could be the reason. If not just disregard.

As for the mouse setup and binding I don't think that there is much you can change AFAIK. Never did and never had to.:joystick:

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

Hello,

I’m relatively new to DCS, and I’m trying to setup my mouse controls in a way that makes sense to me for a while now, without any luck so far..

I’ve broken it down to basically 2 main issues, maybe someone can give me a hint?

1.) One part of the problem seems to be that the mouse click and/or release events doesn’t seem to be recognized by the game sometimes. In my current setup (which I think is the default), MMB should toggle between moving the mouse and rotating the view, and holding RMB should allow my to pan (while holding). Unfortunately, MMB only works in 9 out of 10 cases, and holding RMB sometimes leads to a state in which moving the mouse (after releasing RMB) still pans instead of rotates the view. It’s almost as if the “RMB Mouse Release” event isn’t caught reliable by the game. Any ideas what could be the problem here?

I’ve got no problems with this mouse in other softwares.

2.) Ideally, I want to setup my mouse controls similar to what I know from 3d software packages and without any “mode changing"

• Mouse movement: move Cursor on the screen (without rotating the view / looking around), interaction with the cockpit (clicking LMB and RMB) should be possible in this mode

• Move movement & MMB hold: Look around / rotate view

• Move movement & RMB hold: Transpose view / change position

Is there any way to setup the game like this?

Sounds really complicated to be honest, and maybe your asking a little too much of this software.. you really need head tracking. I cant imagine having to reach for the mouse to look around if thats what your trying to do? I understand what your trying to do, just cant see why it would be any use for a flight sim unless your restricted in some way?

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

I have only recently set up head-tracking so I was using similar mouse settings to you Jonni for years. Although I recommend head-tracking for flight if I am just testing things from the mission editor or just doing ground systems training I don't always set up my headtracker. Also sometimes it is on charge as its wireless and it also requires I wear my headset which is not always desirable. So good mouse settings make a good fall back.

What I did was use external mouse software X-Mouse from http://www.highrez.co.uk in my case. Ideally you need a gaming mouse for the extra buttons. I set it up so that on pressing Mouse 4 it sends Alt+C to DCS and then again when releasing. I used mouse 5 (which is next to 4 on the thumb and easy to press both) to transpose.

Also you can use DCS Axis settings on the mouse (I only found this out recently) to smooth out your camera movements without slowing down the clickable mouse movement. Adjust the Y saturation and curvature to get nicer movement there for both internal and external.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

thank you for your answers!

Sorry for not getting back earlier, the notifications from this forum got filtered out by my spam folder, so I did not notice the answers..

Hm, never heard such issues before but what comes to my mind on this - I had some trouble with mouse clicks before I updated my pc rig. The system was just too weak and at the very low end of my FPS mouse clicks occasionally weren't recognized. Really don't know if this correlates with the issues you described but should be obvious to check. If you encounter very low FPS - could be the reason. If not just disregard.

Hmm, yes, the “lost” mouse clicks (or mouse release events) may have something to do with the performance of my system (although it’s not too bad, I can play fairly smooth). I was just wondering if that is somehow known as issue, you never know. But seems like I have to upgrade my hardware sooner or later..

Sounds really complicated to be honest, and maybe your asking a little too much of this software.. you really need head tracking. I cant imagine having to reach for the mouse to look around if thats what your trying to do? I understand what your trying to do, just cant see why it would be any use for a flight sim unless your restricted in some way?

It’s not about looking around (outside the cockpit), I’m not using the mouse for that (I’m using some spare axis on my HOTAS system) It’s mainly about interacting with the cockpit instruments.

The setup I was hoping for sounded completely “naturally” to me – especially to avoid having to change/toggle through different interaction “modes”, which I think isn’t ideal interface design.

It may be that because I use various 3D software packages I am used to a similar way of navigating - it may be quite subjectively and not be the most intuitive way for others.

Nevertheless, I’m aware that head tracking would make life easier in this game, but I’m just not ready for it now.. ;-)

What I did was use external mouse software X-Mouse from www.highrez.co.uk in my case. Ideally you need a gaming mouse for the extra buttons. I set it up so that on pressing Mouse 4 it sends Alt+C to DCS and then again when releasing. I used mouse 5 (which is next to 4 on the thumb and easy to press both) to transpose.

That sounds great, thank you for the hint! I’ll definitely try that out!

Edited by Jonni