[REPORTED] Fw 190 Cockpit Bar! (answer Post #173)

Krupi

Isnt it visible here?:

fw_190a_5_cockpit_by_shelbs2-d4f3b4p.jpg

Yet still it looks to be lower than the gunsight.

Roy This image:

Seanmaybeabar2.jpg

Is from the exact same aircraft. It was taken whilst this aircraft was still in the UK (With JME Aviation who did the restoration immediately before it was shipped to the USA.

Again the vertical extent of the lip is easily seen here ...A lip is exactly what it is not a bar.

but it has just been explained there was, the picture out of the windscreen is 30mm higher than the real world, if you aim a sight through a refracted image then you are off target.

Yup. off target by 30mm. You think this matters? (Actually, I've worked it out, and I make it about 42mm, assuming the glass has a refractive index of 1.55, is 75mm thick, and angled at 25° to the horizontal).

Look it up for yourself...

No, of course you are right if the glass is even thickness then the theory is perfect, how perfect is the glass is what I was getting at, that aside my point about the 30mm offset is still relevant, get rid of the bar and make sure the image out of the windscreen is shifted up however much and we could try that as a solution.

Making sure the gunsight is not corrected for this offset I might add.

Edited by bongodriver

Shifting the image might prove costly, GPU processing wise. It might be simpler to tweak the model geometry to move the top of the engine cowling down - or at a pinch, to just move the pilot and gunsight up.

Such a shifiting is at least (relatively?) easy to implement, I think. For example the NVG mod of PeterP does that intentionally by adding some sort of lens effect. Some like it, others not so much - as it makes clicking/hitting switches difficult ... because of the offset.

I'd bet that Germans being Germans, with the likes of Karl Zeiss et al on hand, that screen would've been optically almost perfect, with very little chromatic aberration or other distortions. I'd presume it would be laminated with some polymer or other though? That'd bring it's r.i. down significantly.....

The offset is not an angle - it is parallel to the original/correct line of sight.

I didn't say it was, I said an angular displacement might be possible if it was considered that the glass may not have perfect optical qualities, no way of really finding out so it's a dead issue.

The point I started making at the beginning of the thread should really be the consideration, that's a mighty long nose, I agree with IvanK that from the photos there really isn't a bar at all but geometrically I'd really like to see how that nose affects things.

There is however a fairly good argument for some refraction, with or without the bar then I think this should be considered.

Edited by bongodriver

The nose don't affect that much since the cockpit sits a wee bit higher than the engine cowling.

According to my documentation and pilot comments it was a pain in the *** to taxi on the ground

but in the air had a very good view all around giving a high SA on the combat.

800px-Focke-Wulf_Fw_190D-9_USAF.jpg

FW-190D9-Seattle.jpg

rw_fw190d.jpg

Edited by hakjar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

The nose don't affect that much since the cockpit sits a wee bit higher than the engine cowling.

Well they tend to on all aircraft apart from the 'Spirit of StLouis', unless they slope downwards along the line of sigh then they will be visible and it becomes more apparent the longer the nose gets, think about the sea fury and the deliberate design for that reason, the 190 does not have the same angled fuselage.

It does slope away from the pit. Look at the pictures I inserted.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

• ED Team

From 7:00m do my eyes deceive me, I can't believe this has happened again... :doh:

And is that a very rare Gyro Revi?

Couple things, you guys do notice that nothing is functioning in the cockpit right? Chances are these arent real, pilot in the seat vids, but just a rough "alpha" look at the cockpit view, so I dont know that I would judge too much on this. Its possible position of the pilot will still be adjusted and such... lets not burn the barn down just yet....

As for the bar discussion, real world, pilot view photos of what you are concerned with and I will inquire into it, otherwise its purely opinion based, your opinion against someone else. You cant bring other sim discussions into this because this is DCS not anything else. Hope this makes sense? We need hard facts to submit bugs, not opinion, no matter how well versed someones opinion is. Photos of the pilots view, in comparison with the view in game.... see the problem yet? We dont have a finalized view from the pilots seat in Sim yet.

The gun sights, I believe they stated that they were going with this sight as it matched the one in the P-51D the closest, it was also discussed that the sight used on the 190 was in limited use and had dependability issues. That said, it was used in this aircraft, the devs have chosen this sight. Unless compelling evidence or information can be given as to why it should be changed, of which I cant imagine any... I would think that is the sight we are getting.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png