Kiowa "teaser" in ED's newsletter

sirrah

Night vision has also been added, which we plan to update prior to release with a new feature never before seen in DCS World Helicopters, but we do not want to reveal anything yet,

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Maybe a night vision HUD?

We use them and it greatly increases situational awareness, it clips on the NVG tube and adds a look through screen that provides key flight data. Kind of like a HMCS without the positional tracking.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Could be modeling some PVS-20s? That would be something else.

It would indeed since no such thing exists.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Maybe a night vision HUD?

We use them and it greatly increases situational awareness, it clips on the NVG tube and adds a look through screen that provides key flight data. Kind of like a HMCS without the positional tracking.

Yeah, thats the most likely thing.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Could be modeling some PVS-20s? That would be something else.

I'm not familiar with this and Wiki is kinda confined on info. Could you explain what's unique about this PVS-20? Do you mean, night vision in one eye only?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Correctly implemented thermal imaging system?

Im thinking of some sort of hud imagery integration.

Pretty sure the Kiowa doesn't have any kind of hud?

Two types of HUDs on a KW, kind of.

The first was way before my time, apparently it could be hung from a bracket on the cross beam, in front of the each crew member. I have no idea what symbology was in it or anything. Every Kiowa I flew had the mounts ground off.

Type two was the an attachment for the goggles, we called it an ODA, but I can't remember what ODA stood for. It would fix over the NVG tube and display flight data, pitch ladder, airspeed, altitude, etc. I wasn't a fan, I knew some pilots that liked it, some didn't. Oddly enough I really like the one on the Blackhawk.

That's the only HUD like devices on a Kiowa.

Edit: ODA is Optical Display Attachment

I have to say the more I get into Helos, the more I am looking forward to this module

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

The first was way before my time, apparently it could be hung from a bracket on the cross beam, in front of the each crew member. I have no idea what symbology was in it or anything. Every Kiowa I flew had the mounts ground off.

Type two was the an attachment for the goggles, we called it an ODA, but I can't remember what ODA stood for. It would fix over the NVG tube and display flight data, pitch ladder, airspeed, altitude, etc. I wasn't a fan, I knew some pilots that liked it, some didn't. Oddly enough I really like the one on the Blackhawk.

ODA is what i was talking about. Kinda like this AVS-7 hud for fast movers.

4997059224_15d85c62a4_b.jpg

Edited by Harlikwin

I read somewhere something about PDU / Pilot Display Unit (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4348166#post4348166). Is that the same as ODA?

That's the older model of what we use on the Blackhawk. I like the newer one better, that long tube along the right side is gone.

I read somewhere something about PDU / Pilot Display Unit (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4348166#post4348166). Is that the same as ODA?

Might be? I did a google search and came up with this, it looks like the one we used. Maybe two versions of the same thing with different names? That happens a lot or maybe we just called it something different than the actual name.

https://duotechservices.com/repairing-oh-58-sight-unit-of-helmet-mounted-display-hmd

Edited by Coota0
Forgot the link

That’s the exact model I use. I like it.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

is this the NVG HUD implicated in the 2018 night time crash of an F/A 18 and KC-130 tanker near japan?

apparently the data can invert which really throws off the pilot.

https://www.propublica.org/article/marines-hornet-squadron-242-crash-pacific-resilard

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

is this the NVG HUD implicated in the 2018 night time crash of an F/A 18 and KC-130 tanker near japan?

https://www.propublica.org/article/marines-hornet-squadron-242-crash-pacific-resilard

I don't know if it was part of the crash, but I do know that inverting the display on the model above is very easy. There is a switch to identify if you have it on your left or right eye, if you have it on the left eye and the switch is on right, everything is inverted.

Thats a pretty tragic story.

HOPEFULLY it means we might get you know...better NVGs than god damn Gen 1 Monocular...

like pretty much every BLUEFOR aircraft should be using Gen 2 or 3 but for some reason ED changed NVGs and gave us only a Gen 1 for ages...its almost unusable in some a lot of lighting conditions.

HOPEFULLY it means we might get you know...better NVGs than god damn Gen 1 Monocular...

like pretty much every BLUEFOR aircraft should be using Gen 2 or 3 but for some reason ED changed NVGs and gave us only a Gen 1 for ages...its almost unusable in some a lot of lighting conditions.

Um...Firstly, DCS doesn't model that level of detail with NVG's. Secondly the only gen1 NVG's that were ever used to my knowledge were used by the russians on Mi24's (not fast jets) and they are terrible. And thirdly, if anything what we have in DCS look gen3 ish gogs with magically adjustable gain levels that the real ones don't have.

Thats a pretty tragic story.

there are simplified backup instruments (compasses is one example) on aircraft, you would think the pilot would check both...

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR