LGB Bomb run flight profile

LTRMcrew

I was wondering if anyone knows of the RW or at least a recommended flight profile for making LGB runs? Currently I line up direct to target, wings level, get the release line, drop, stay wings level, trigger laze, hold same heading and wings level until impact. Then hard G pull back on target, reacquire new target, rinse repeat.

BUT is there a better way? Is there a "normal" way? Maybe drop then turn keeping 10 degree bank to let laser keep eyes on target and not obstruct with own ship, etc.

OR I guess as the laser doesn't "need" to be on right away you could drop fly straight for 10 sec, then hard turn back the other way laser on... could keep a smaller orbit but won't help with reacquiring a new target and end up cranking more than necessary.

Generally you want to turn and put the target somewhere on your 3-9 line as soon as the weapon is released, this stops you getting closer to the target and possibly getting within Sam/manpad range. Depending on the fall time of the bomb you may want to make a shallow turn (10 degree bank) back towards the target to keep the target on the 3-9 line and stop it falling behind you and either ending up out of range of the laser or getting masked by the limits of the TPOD. This technique is specially useful if you toss an LGB for a bit of extra reach. I tend to only start lasering with about 10-15 secs of fall time left as the most efficient profile is to let the bomb go ballistic for a while.

Flying directly at the target is going to quickly put the target behind you and possibly into a masked area so I would avoid that where possible. Even when bombing from high altitude I tend to turn after release because then after impact I can continue to the turn to put the target at my 6 to either leave the area or get space for another attack while staying on the friendly side of the target. Remember the closer you get to the target the harder time you're going to have keeping the TPOD out of its masking zones so using the stand-off range that the laser offers you is always helpful. Don't go much further than about 8 miles while actually firing the laser or you'll hit the limit of laser range.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

As always - it depends on many factors. There is no one specific way to do an LGB bomb run. The factors to consider include (but not limited to):

-- Target (stationary or moving, Small or large, Designated Point of Impact (DPI), is the DPI on a horizontal or vertical portion of the target, etc, etc)

-- Release altitude (high, med, low)

-- Threats (where / what type)

-- Type of LGB (PW2 or 3. GBU-10 or 12)

-- Winds

-- Wingman considerations (formation, simultaneous drops, etc)

-- What station on the jet is the pod loaded on

-- Others stores that could mask the pod

-- Terrain, man-made objects, smoke, clouds, etc that could mask the target

All of those things and others will drive your attack profile. For instance, In a high threat target area, you may ingress at low altitude and either loft, toss or pop up to altitude to release. If a low threat area - you can just run in at medium altitude. Generally, you want to maintain as much standoff from the target as possible.

You generally always want to attack either with a pure headwind or ideally a tailwind. Crosswinds are bad for accuracy unless you have no other choice.

The type of LGB (PW2 vs 3 or GBU-10 vs 12) will drive if you delay lase or continuous lase. As will the release altitude and speed drive cont vs delay lase.

Your formation, simultaneous DPIs, target orientation, other masking issues such as terrain, smoke, clouds etc will drive both the run-in attack direction as well as which way you turn after release.

Where the pod is located on the jet and other stores that could mask the laser will drive if you turn left or right.

So...... having said all that - a typical low threat, medium altitude GBU-12 profile would be to line up on the target at 10-15 miles with as pure a tailwind as you can get. Set speed at about 480-540 TAS up to the seeker limit of the bomb (usually around .9 Mach). Why 10-15 miles??? Well lets say at 20K height above target (HAT), the bomb release range will be around 5nm. By setting up at 10-15nm, this gives you around 30-60 sec to get lined up on the ASL since you're doing 8-9 nm/min. Once lined up, this gives you one final chance to make sure your pod is tracking on the correct DPI, the bomb is set with the correct station, laser code, master arm on, etc. Once all that is good, fly down the ASL by trying to be as precise as possible keeping the FPM centered on the ASL, wings level and at 1G. This is important because the less variables you have going on such as bank, G, etc - the less the squirrels in the computer have to calculate the release solution. Assuming you are dropping in CCRP/AUTO, then hold the pickle button down at 10 sec time to go (TTG) continue holding it until the weapons release cues flash.

IF you are doing a continuous lase attack - I would squeeze and hold the trigger just before the 10" TTG, make sure its firing and then push and hold the pickle button at 10" TTG. Continue trying to precisely fly the ASL until the bombs come off the jet.

As soon as you're satisfied that you have the release cue and the bombs are off the jet, let go of the pickle button and then perform a moderately hard 4g check turn in the desired direction based on the factors you calculated above and roll out about 45 deg off the attack heading. This maneuver accomplishes two things. You are maneuvering the jet early in the TOF of the weapon when it will have the least impact on the bomb if the TGP crosshairs move from the turn and it will give you the most standoff from the target. The key though is to roll out wings level and then concentrate on refining the crosshair placement on the DPI. Minimize the amount of crosshair movement especially late in the TOF such as the last 8-10" or that really screws with the LGB accuracy and weapon energy.

As stated before, the direction of the check turn is based on lots of things - but usually the first consideration is which station is the pod located on. If on one of the cheek stations - then turn in the opposite direction of where the pod is mounted. For instance, if on the right cheek station, then turn left to prevent masking. If on the centerline station, then you can go either way. Once you roll out, if during the time remaining, a part of the jet or the stores just begin coming into view - just slightly raise the wing on the target side. That should immediately unmask whatever was beginning to block the laser.

IF you desire a delay lase attack - do all of the above except that you will roll out after the 45 degree check turn and then squeeze the trigger at about 10-12 secs TTI (time to impact) as shown on your HUD. Anything more than about 15" is considered continuous lase and the min time to lase is about 8" to get the laser on.

Another viable option with the Lightening Pod in a low to no threat environment is just to fly straight through over the target. The pod will spin when you are directly overhead (NADIR) but it usually can handle it. I'm not a fan of this but its seems to work in DCS just fine and its less complicated.

I'm not a fan of the slow constant 10 deg bank turn all the way to impact. While yes it works, it far more workload on the pilot AND it induces more potential errors into the pod. If you roll (or stay) wings level - its one less thing you have to think about while trying to keep the crosshairs on the target.

One final thing.... if its a really high threat environment - consider doing a different attack altogether. You are a bit of a sitting duck while you're trying to guide the bomb and you're head's down focused on the X-hairs. Consider a JDAM, JSOW or something instead. Or given there seems to be no loft attack capability yet (WIP?), then maybe have a buddy laser aircraft standing off just outside the threat and you just run in and release the bomb as the mule and then do a U turn and GTFO.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Generally you want to turn and put the target somewhere on your 3-9 line as soon as the weapon is released, this stops you getting closer to the target and possibly getting within Sam/manpad range. Depending on the fall time of the bomb you may want to make a shallow turn (10 degree bank) back towards the target to keep the target on the 3-9 line and stop it falling behind you and either ending up out of range of the laser or getting masked by the limits of the TPOD. This technique is specially useful if you toss an LGB for a bit of extra reach. I tend to only start lasering with about 10-15 secs of fall time left as the most efficient profile is to let the bomb go ballistic for a while.

Flying directly at the target is going to quickly put the target behind you and possibly into a masked area so I would avoid that where possible. Even when bombing from high altitude I tend to turn after release because then after impact I can continue to the turn to put the target at my 6 to either leave the area or get space for another attack while staying on the friendly side of the target. Remember the closer you get to the target the harder time you're going to have keeping the TPOD out of its masking zones so using the stand-off range that the laser offers you is always helpful. Don't go much further than about 8 miles while actually firing the laser or you'll hit the limit of laser range.

Totally agree.

In addition, the behavior of the laser in DCS is very simplified. IRL, the angle at which the laser illuminates a surface, above all with a rounded or curved profile, or impacts the edges of a flat surface, can lead the seeker to lose sight of the laser spot. It is therefore important, while maintaining a sufficiently low speed to illuminate until impact, to put the target on the right or on the left if the pod is mounted centerline. And on the side of the pod if it is mounted eccentrically (which will be possible with the Hornet when they enable the pod on the cheek station), to prevent the target from being masked by the airplane cell or by something it is carrying.

Good post here, Notso! And good advice all-around from everyone.

Although I'd mention that we currently don't have a working Paveway III at the moment in DCS, with the GBU-24 still not working IIRC (or has it been updated?).

And to complete your post a little bit, for those who may not know, the Paveway III can be guided all the way because it uses a finer control algorithm (for lack of a better term), with the control surfaces moving smoothly to make for a precise profile to target. The Paweway II, on the other hand, use "bang-bang" control, in which control surfaces are always maxing out their deflection ; this makes for a more erratic flight profile and more energy loss during the guiding phase, but it is still very reasonably accurate and much less expensive. To prevent the bomb missing because of excessive energy loss early in the flight time, Paveway IIs are normally lased only shortly before impact, typically 10 seconds (and it works pretty well in DCS - of course your bomb should be release reasonably accurately in the first place).

Paveway IIs are still the most common out there, they are the GBU-10/12/16. The Paveway III is mostly the GBU-24, with a couple other for limited USAF use (the GBU-27 is a 24 redesigned to fit in the bomb bay of the F-117, and the GBU-28 uses a more powerful penetration warhead).

Good post here, Notso! And good advice all-around from everyone.

Although I'd mention that we currently don't have a working Paveway III at the moment in DCS, with the GBU-24 still not working IIRC (or has it been updated?).

And to complete your post a little bit, for those who may not know, the Paveway III can be guided all the way because it uses a finer control algorithm (for lack of a better term), with the control surfaces moving smoothly to make for a precise profile to target.

In fact for most Modes/profiles of the GBU-24 - Continuous lase is required for it to work properly.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB