F/A-18C Dynamic Campaign: Battle Group Delta

MBot

In July 1990 USS Independence at the center of Battle Group Delta is commencing an Indian Ocean patrol as a crisis in the Strait of Hormuz calls the carrier into action against Iran. Join VFA-113 on Independence and fly the Hornet into combat.

Features:

• Dynamic campaign with a duration of approximately 30 missions
  • All air/ground/sea losses persist from mission to mission
  • Every mission uniquely generated depending on available assets, remaining targets, threat situation, time of day, weather etc.
  • Air Tasking Order generation with packages and routes for player and AI

DOWNLOAD

Installation:

1. Download Dynamic Campaign Engine and extract to "...\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech".

2. Download Battle Group Delta campaign and extract to "...\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns".

Make sure that your install directory is 'Saved Games\DCS'. If you need to install it under DCS.OpenBeta:

a) Adjust filepath in camp_init.lua from 'Saved Games\DCS to 'Saved Games\DCS.OpenBeta'.

b) Edit FirstMission.bat to point to your DCS installation directory

c) Run FirstMission.bat

MissionScripting.lua modification:

Dynamic Campaign Engine requires the following modification of your DCS installation to work. Open the file "...\DCS World\Scripts\MissionScripting.lua" with a text editor. Add two minus signs in front of line 16 "sanitizeModule('os')" and line 17 "sanitizeModule('io')". The code block from line 16 to line 20 should then look like this:

--sanitizeModule('os')
--sanitizeModule('io')
sanitizeModule('lfs')
require = nil
loadlib = nil

NOTE: This modification has to be repeated after every update of DCS World, as each update reverts the file back to its original state.

WARNING: This modification will allow the execution of any LUA code included in any downloaded and played custom DCS mission and is potentially harmful to your system. Modification at your own risk.

Notes:

- F-14B as placeholder for F-14A (pending F-14A by Heatblur)

- F/A-18A with special loadouts as placeholder for A-6E (pending A-6E AI by Heatblur)

- S-3B Tanker as placeholder for KA-6D (pending KA-6D AI by Heatblur)

- CVN-74 Stennis as placeholder for CV-62 Independence (pending Forrestal-class by Heatblur)

- Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate as placeholder for every USN ship

- Tarantul-class corvette as placeholder for every Iranian Navy ship

- Gepard SPAAA as placeholder for Iranian 35mm Oerlikon AAA

Edited by MBot

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, it's out! Looking forward.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

This is great! Can't wait to try it out. Thanks Mbot! :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

This error popped up after I crashed on takeoff (I'm a noob!!)

2019-12-30 23:48:43.821 ERROR   VFS: VFS_open_write: CreateFile(C:\Users\Eric\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\MissionEventsLog.lua): The system cannot find the path specified.

2019-12-30 23:48:55.540 ERROR   DCS: Mission script error: : [string "C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00003B68.lua"]:179: attempt to index local 'logFile' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00003B68.lua"]:179: in function 'onEvent'
[string "Scripts/World/EventHandlers.lua"]:13: in function <[string "Scripts/World/EventHandlers.lua"]:11>

Not running any mods and modifications were made to missionscripting.lua.

There is no MissionEventsLog.lua in that directory listed.

Note: Started the Campaign again. Shot a few planes down and flew around for a bit. Error pops up when exiting the mission. Everything prior to that point is working great as far as I can tell.

Edited by eric963

This error popped up after I crashed on takeoff (I'm a noob!!)

2019-12-30 23:48:43.821 ERROR   VFS: VFS_open_write: CreateFile(C:\Users\Eric\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\MissionEventsLog.lua): The system cannot find the path specified.

2019-12-30 23:48:55.540 ERROR   DCS: Mission script error: : [string "C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00003B68.lua"]:179: attempt to index local 'logFile' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00003B68.lua"]:179: in function 'onEvent'
[string "Scripts/World/EventHandlers.lua"]:13: in function <[string "Scripts/World/EventHandlers.lua"]:11>

Not running any mods and modifications were made to missionscripting.lua.

There is no MissionEventsLog.lua in that directory listed.

Note: Started the Campaign again. Shot a few planes down and flew around for a bit. Error pops up when exiting the mission. Everything prior to that point is working great as far as I can tell.

I noticed you have DCS.openbeta in one of your paths. Have you installed DCE in the DCS.openbeta directory? If so, this probably will not work without some additional editing.

I am running the openbeta too, but mine is the regular primary DCS installation.

I noticed you have DCS.openbeta in one of your paths. Have you installed DCE in the DCS.openbeta directory? If so, this probably will not work without some additional editing.

I am running the openbeta too, but mine is the regular primary DCS installation.

Yes, installed into the DCS.openbeta directory.

I'll install and run it the DCS stable version.

Edited by eric963

I only run openbeta, does that mean I can’t use this?

If your Saved Games folder is just called "DCS", you can run the campaign normally, even if your DCS is actually the open beta. If your Saved Games folder is called "DCS.openbeta", you need to make the following modifications:

1. Open "Saved Games\DCS*whatever*\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\Init\camp_init.lua".

2. Edit the path on line 7 to your actual path.

3. Run "Saved Games\DCS*whatever*\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta\FirstMission.bat" to generate a new mission file with the changed path in effect.

Multiplayer compatible?

You can play it COOP by opening the mission file in the editor and manually changing the aircraft in the player flight to Client as required. In campaign stats tracking for all participating clients is supported.

When "it be can harmful for your system" why are you doing that campaign?

To f.ck up my DCS?

It means that usually dcs lua interpreter blocks dangerous functions (like the one that malware could use), however to use dce you need this modifcation...so you need to be aware of which script you use in dcs or which mission you download (with scripts inside)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I only run openbeta, does that mean I can’t use this?

If you have only the open beta installed, you can create a symlink named DCS to DCS.openbeta.

open a cmd shell with admin rights and type

mklink /D "C:\Users\XXX\Saved Games\DCS" "C:\Users\XXX\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta"

substitute XXX with you user name.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

That's a great New Years suprise! Thanks a lot MBot! I was afraid you would never make this campaign public :)

I'm looking forward to fly this campaign in coop with my wingman :joystick:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Since I run the openbeta, I modified the path in line 7 of camp_init.lua as specified previously. However, when I use FirstMission.bat to re-generate a first mission, I get the following error (in CMD):

The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\XXX\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\tech\DCE\Missions\Campaigns\FA-18C Battle Group Delta>

I verified my path and it is identical, yet it cannot find it.

Any clue as to why?

Thanks in advance for the campaign !

F-5 | Mirage | Huey | Mig-21 | Ka-50 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B

Mbot helped me out with this too. You will need to open the .bat files individually and change the path to your dcs install. Mine is working now.

Use notepad++ if you can. Otherwise notepad should be ok

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

INS doesn´t work correctly in the first mission, any tips?

Would like to know the answer to this question also please.

Thanks

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I think there is some trick for the INS alignment without GPS (mission is set in 1990 which is pre-GPS) but I don't know the details. Any Hornet expert please feel free to chime in.

Frankly I haven't flown the Hornet for a long time. I have spend about 50 hours test flying the campaign with the Hornet one year ago, but have since switched to the Tomcat completely. The campaign was further developed with the Tomcat only, but I tough I would release the Hornet variant too as a courtesy for the Hornet players.

I have just attempted the 2nd mission and unfortunately the problem persists which is a real shame as I would love to fly this campaign.

If anybody finds a fix/workaround can they please post it here.

Thanks in advance.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

In general options, gameplay, there is a checkbox called "Unrestricted SATNAV". Did not have a chance to check if it fixes this though. Can anyone confirm? Won't be able to try for a few hours.

EDIT: That's not what it does. I'll keep looking, but will probably change the year in camp_init.lua

Edited by hisothiro

F-5 | Mirage | Huey | Mig-21 | Ka-50 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B