Why not more map development? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Boris

Default Why not more map development?

DCS World has a great range of aircraft by now that provide hours and hours of action, enough to keep us busy for ages. Sure there are some highly anticipated aircraft still to come, but I have yet to touch some of the modules I have bought.

What really is lacking, is more environments and content, such as campaigns and missions, for these aircraft. It's now arguably as or more important than the aircraft themselves.

That begs the question, why do so many 3rd party developers prominently focus their attention on aircraft?
Map development could be far more lucrative, as buyers would include the majority of the DCS user base, the choice being based less on preference, but out of a desire for more variety.

Is it because map making is still closely guarded by ED? Or could there already be a number of unannounced 3rd parties be working maps?
If so, why are we hearing nothing about it? Given the long development times, it would be a shame if many more maps aren't already being worked on (in addition to the ones we know about). When will DCS World live up to its name?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
QuiGon
Veteran

There are already some 3rd party devs working on maps:

VEAO
- Duxford (test development map)
- North Africa – Tubruq
- Mach Loop – Welsh Valleys

Leatherneck Studios
- Viggen Map
- Iwo Jima (Corsair Map)
- Tomcat Map

I think it's no coincidence that with VEAO and LNS the two most professional 3rd party developers (apart from Belsimtek, which is more like a 2nd party developer ) have taken on the task to create maps. Map creation in DCS is still pretty new and surely requires some effort to do. An effort which might be too big for the smaller 3rd party devs atm. If you read what the VEAO and LNS guys say in the forums (and other places) about their map creation efforts then you get an impression that this is something completly new and difficult to get into.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 01-30-2017 at 11:19 AM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Pikey
Veteran

Despite 3rd parties saying they would, LNS as recently as the Viggen stream couldnt confirm any work on them and there has been no tools released from ED, AND we know that the mapping system is changing radically for the infamous 2.5. (Enough to put 2.5 behind by months due to redoing the Caucasus, various Wags quotes for this)

If someone is working on a map they are doing it on as yet undisclosed tool/method on as yet unreleased format of DCS World.

I don't think any work is being done outside of ED until they complete 2.5.

When it becomes available, there will be a massive interest 100% full steam ahead on doing so, and I'll be investing a shed load of time myself personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post

VEAO
- North Africa – Tubruq

Leatherneck Studios
- Viggen Map
- Iwo Jima (Corsair Map)
- Tomcat Map

I think it's no coincidence that with VEAO and LNS the two most professional 3rd party developers (apart from Belsimtek, which is more like a 2nd party developer ) have taken on the task to create maps. Map creation in DCS is still pretty new and surely requires some effort to do. An effort which might be too big for the smaller 3rd party devs atm.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
GVO

I definately agree. The lack of maps, and especially the lack of flying in an interesting area made me leave DCS many years ago. Back now though because of the great Viggen, but more maps would be fantastic.
GVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
BIGNEWY
Senior

Simply put, it takes time.

Caucasus is being redone
NTTR is in Alpha
Normandy is in testing
Straits of Hormuz is in development

and that is just what ED are dealing with, I am sure will see more in the future, but as I have said it take's time.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
lemoen

I wish we could make community maps. Spread the work, let us help.
lemoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
Simply put, it takes time.

Caucasus is being redone
NTTR is in Alpha
Normandy is in testing
Straits of Hormuz is in development

and that is just what ED are dealing with, I am sure will see more in the future, but as I have said it take's time.
Well yeah, you're right, at least we're already getting some new maps relatively soon.

Development in DCS does indeed take quite a while, which is why it would be nice to know that more is already in the pipe. I don't know that 3rd party developers have acted on their plans yet. If developers do indeed need to wait for the release of 2.5, and considering the very long development cycles, it seems like it could be a number of years before we see the next swathe of maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoen View Post
I wish we could make community maps. Spread the work, let us help.
Me too. But I also appreciate that ED has very high standards of development. This is understandable, as maps are not static and need to interact with the existing aircraft in terms of ATC and navigation.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Send a message via MSN to Silver_Dragon

Quote:

VEAO
- North Africa – Tubruq
VEAO Map projects actually have on Hold.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104115
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Spanish 4Th Perrus Squadon Member: http://www.4thperrus.com
Silver_Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Despite 3rd parties saying they would, LNS as recently as the Viggen stream couldnt confirm any work on them and there has been no tools released from ED, AND we know that the mapping system is changing radically for the infamous 2.5. (Enough to put 2.5 behind by months due to redoing the Caucasus, various Wags quotes for this)
Indeed, and that's exactly what I meant when I said this:
Quote:
If you read what the VEAO and LNS guys say in the forums (and other places) about their map creation efforts then you get an impression that this is something completly new and difficult to get into.
But IIRC LNS has an entire team dedicated to map development in Poland.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 01-30-2017 at 01:37 PM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Boris

Quote:
IIRC LNS has an entire team for map development in Poland.
This sounds encouraging. I would welcome the idea of entire 3rd party teams specializing on maps only.