JTAC Auto Target and Lase

Ciribob

*** THIS SCRIPT IS NOW INTEGRATED INTO CTLD AND IS 1.5 COMPATIBLE: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143107 ***

Hi Guys,

I've made a script that allows JTAC's to automatically lase and follow targets.

Hope this is of some use, just click download ZIP on the GitHub site to get the latest version and let me know if you find any problems.

LINK: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-JTACAutoLaze

LATEST UPDATE: 9/4/15

README:

JTAC Automatic Targeting and Laser Script

Allows a JTAC to mark and hold an IR and Laser point on a target allowing TGP's to lock onto the lase and ease of target location using NV Goggles

The JTAC will automatically switch targets when a target is destroyed or goes out of Line of Sight

NOTE: LOS doesn't include buildings or tree's... Sorry!

The script can also be useful in daylight by enabling the JTAC to mark enemy positions with Smoke.

The JTAC will only move the smoke to the target every 5 minutes (to stop a huge trail of smoke markers) unless the target is destroyed, in which case the new target will be marked straight away with smoke.

You can also enable an F10 menu option for coalition units allowing the JTAC(s) to report their current status.

If a JTAC is down it won't report in.

The JTAC can be configured to only target troops or ground vehicles as well.

Please see github for the latest info, readme and example missions: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-JTACAutoLaze

Edited by Ciribob
  • Like 1

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Did it work OK for anyone? Its running on VSAAFs training mission if you want to try it out.

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

AFAIK Regular JTAC won't hold an IR pointer and Laser on a target, neither can you pick the code that the JTAC Laser uses.

This is my first from scratch script and I haven't played DCS that long so I could be wrong :)

ciribob,

this is a really nice mod and I am using to solve an issue I am having with a mission I am creating. The convoy moves along and is right on top of the enemy units but when called they respond with no targets. very frustrating.

I do have one issue though and this could really be me but. when the laser detects the target I am unable to lock up the target without turning my laser on. if I just tms up short the tgp snaps back to the jtac and losses the target. it appears as if the a-10's laser does not follow the search and end up on the target.

steps:

1. jtac lases the target on 1688

2. slew the tgp to the jtc

3. turn on lss on 1688

4. laser searches and detects target

5. push tms up short ( tgp snaps back to jtac)

alternative:

5. Turn on A-10 laser

6. push tms up short and then long

7. Target is locked and executed with sever prejudice.

Not sure this is something that can be changed since it appears it is the planes laser that is not ending up on the target.

Keep up the cool work, you did a nice job and it work very well.

thanks

76th Falcon

MSI Creator X299 - INTEL i9 - 10900X 3.7 GHZ - 32 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 - EVGA GTX 1080 FTW AC2

ciribob,

this is a really nice mod and I am using to solve an issue I am having with a mission I am creating. The convoy moves along and is right on top of the enemy units but when called they respond with no targets. very frustrating.

I do have one issue though and this could really be me but. when the laser detects the target I am unable to lock up the target without turning my laser on. if I just tms up short the tgp snaps back to the jtac and losses the target. it appears as if the a-10's laser does not follow the search and end up on the target.

steps:

1. jtac lases the target on 1688

2. slew the tgp to the jtc

3. turn on lss on 1688

5. push tms up short ( tgp snaps back to jtac)

alternative:

5. Turn on A-10 laser

6. push tms up short and then long

7. Target is locked and executed with sever prejudice.

Not sure this is something that can be changed since it appears it is the planes laser that is not ending up on the target.

Keep up the cool work, you did a nice job and it work very well.

thanks

76th Falcon

Hmm your problem gave me an idea and I think I fixed it.

If you try the latest script and then:

1. Point TGP vaguely at target

2. LSS mode enabled - only looking for laser

3. When TGP has lock set as SOI

4. TMS up LONG and it will now continue to track the laser as the target moves

5. Slew Mavericks or Bomb in CCRP

6. Bring freedom the only way an A10c can :smilewink:

I've updated the two test missions on github so you can jump into the night one to test and now you don't need to use the A10c laser as well.

Edited by Ciribob

Ciribob,

Tested the new version and it appears to work exactly as expected, nice job. when the laser locks on, the hud gives a dash line for the direction and the tgp transitions for detect to track. TMS up locks the target as expected.

For my own script I set the JTAC_smokeOn = false and added a argument to JTACAutolase to be able to set to true if I want the smoke.

Thank you for the mod it is awesome.

76th Falcon

MSI Creator X299 - INTEL i9 - 10900X 3.7 GHZ - 32 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 - EVGA GTX 1080 FTW AC2

Ciribob,

Tested the new version and it appears to work exactly as expected, nice job. when the laser locks on, the hud gives a dash line for the direction and the tgp transitions for detect to track. TMS up locks the target as expected.

For my own script I set the JTAC_smokeOn = false and added a argument to JTACAutolase to be able to set to true if I want the smoke.

76th Falcon

Thats not a bad idea at all!

I might release a new version if anyone else asks with that mod so you can configure each JTAC individually with smoke enabled or disabled and the colour of the smoke as well.

Glad it's working well. Thanks for testing!

Ciribob,

76th Falcon

I've added a new version with your suggested modification as well as a new feature where you can configure what the JTAC targets, either troops, vehicles or all ground targets. The JTAC status message will now also include location information in Lat lon and MGRS.

Hope its useful!

• Like 1

Nice script, seems to work well.

I have built a mission with 4 different JTAC, only one has targets at a time.

If the targets are destroyed the JTAC unit is deactivated. Another JTAC will spawn later in the mission. All are given unique names in group and unit, so no problem there.

It seems after the mission is run for awhile, the later spawning JTAC will refuse to call targets, but will give the proper coordinates by using the F10 JTAC Status.

Any ideas?

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift

Nice script, seems to work well.

I have built a mission with 4 different JTAC, only one has targets at a time.

If the targets are destroyed the JTAC unit is deactivated. Another JTAC will spawn later in the mission. All are given unique names in group and unit, so no problem there.

It seems after the mission is run for awhile, the later spawning JTAC will refuse to call targets, but will give the proper coordinates by using the F10 JTAC Status.

Any ideas?

Hmm that's odd. Nothing off the top of my head I can think of but I'll investigate.

Is it possible any other radio messages are displaying at the same time so you miss the jtac message?

I used the script using a UAV Reaper, works fine. Just make sure you set the detection distance in the script to the appropriate distance. 10 or 15 kilometers depending on the height and distance from targets.

Hi Midnight, thanks for your reply, would you mind posting a sample Miz with JTAC Reaper ?

Many thanks in advance !

Cribob,

Thanks for the upgrades I will try it as soon as I can. The script is working very well in my mission. thanks for creating this.

76th Falcon

Hmm that's odd. Nothing off the top of my head I can think of but I'll investigate.

Is it possible any other radio messages are displaying at the same time so you miss the jtac message?

Scratch that, operator error on a few things were causing the issue :music_whistling:.

I did notice that if infantry is the target, you will get a "No further tasking" message, but will get the MGRS coordinates by using the F10/F2

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift

Scratch that, operator error on a few things were causing the issue :music_whistling:.

I did notice that if infantry is the target, you will get a "No further tasking" message, but will get the MGRS coordinates by using the F10/F2

No worries! Easily done.

Do you mean you set the JTAC to only target troops and when it switches targets you're not getting a radio notification?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Hi Ciribob,

your awesome script does not seem to work with DCS 1.5, that's a shame ... This script was a wonderful feature and I used it many many times.

Hope to see it works soon :smilewink:

Cheers

No worries, you can use the CTLD Script as the JTAC script was integrated into it :)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143107

The latest version is compatible with 1.5 as you as you have the latest MIST.

Once you load CTLD instead of the JTACAutoLase, change any DO SCRIPT from

JTACAutoLase('JTAC1', 1688)

to

ctld.JTACAutoLase('JTAC1', 1688)

More info here: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD#jtac-automatic-targeting-and-laser

thanks for your quick reply !

I've tried, but my JTAC does find any targets ... :( Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks again for your help :smilewink:

Try this one... Took a while to track down!

Your AAA Group has no name and so the JTAC couldn't lase them

See the screenshot for the edit I made to the mission. I've also updated your mist to the latest version and it works fine now. :)

jtac-ciribob-edit.miz

Capture.JPG.2b5ebf8b13d17500077a1e6a7b9cbdd9.JPG

• 2 months later...

Really nice script! Thanks alot for you work. Is it possible to make the JTAC only lase vehicles of a certain type? For instance tanks, and not trucks and so on?

Edit: I have another question aswell! Is it possible to decrease the accuracy of the JTACs MGRS calls? I'd like them to give maybe 4 or 6 numbers accuracy.

Cheers!

Edited by EasyEB