** DCS: F-14 Development Update - September!! **

Cobra847

This isn't exactly an F-14 question, but how many Jet Blast Deflector's were on the Forrestal Class Aircraft Carriers? I saw a video of a Tomcat that pushed another Tomcat's front end with its front gear lodged into the catwalk due to the lack of Jet Blast Deflectors

The Forrestal-class carriers had three jet blast deflectors (JBDs).

The incident you speak of occurred April 18, 1995 aboard USS Independence. The Forrestal-class carriers had no JBD behind Catapult #4 because it was position so close to the edge of the flight deck and was actually positioned at an angle away from the aft end of the flight deck. The assumption was the open space directly behind Cat 4 would be more than sufficient to prevent jet blast from being an issue, but stuff happens. There shouldn't have been a Tomcat on Cat 4 in the first place; that catapult is probably better off launching non-afterburning aircraft like Corsairs and Intruders.

Edited by CheckGear

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't exactly an F-14 question, but how many Jet Blast Deflector's were on the Forrestal Class Aircraft Carriers? I saw a video of a Tomcat that pushed another Tomcat's front end with its front gear lodged into the catwalk due to the lack of Jet Blast Deflectors

The Forrestal class had three JBD's. Cat 4 was the only one without a JBD. That incident was on the Independence.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

11/10 Will heckin pre-order.

I'd love it if we got access to the sound track when we pre-order (if pre-ordering is a thing).

I wonder if DCS will consider putting out a boxed promotional package like the one EA released for Jane's F-15 20 years ago. I wouldn't mind a collection of F-14 squadron patches to go along with it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Janes-F-15-Officers-Edition-1998-Big-Box-PC-w-huge-Promo-Standee/132793063218?epid=170312438&hash=item1eeb155732:g:YoMAAOSwr8tbmdQi

I hope the F-14 will be downloadable and flyable on Oct 7. Otherwise, this forum will become quite an unpleasant place for a long time.

If they complete a full month of hype countdown and all they show is a promo video and a preorder button with delivery in "Q1 2019", I think people will get quite angry (as will I)

So, please Heatblur, if that is your plan, let us know beforehand.

I hope the F-14 will be downloadable and flyable on Oct 7. Otherwise, this forum will become quite an unpleasant place for a long time.

If they complete a full month of hype countdown and all they show is a promo video and a preorder button with delivery in "Q1 2019", I think people will get quite angry (as will I)

The release is most likely not in 2019 but I'm guessing maybe end of October or sometime during November. I highly doubt they are releasing it on the 7th.

The release is most likely not in 2019 but I'm guessing maybe end of October or sometime during November. I highly doubt they are releasing it on the 7th.

You are probably right, but that makes me wonder why on earth they would put up the huge countdown and hype it like they do. It is a PR mistake if they only unveil some paintjobs and show an action trailer.

No chance they are not doing a preorder. I would guess a short November preorder though. Not Q1. With the state of the Hornet radar, I hope it is a more fleshed out product. This is gonna cost me a fortune in computer upgrades but the Tomcat is the dream. I wish I backed the Pimax now.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Prepare yourself now for it to be a presale at best.

It is a PR mistake if they only unveil some paintjobs and show an action trailer.

I'm not going to be too annoyed as I think that's exactly what they're going to do, so that's what I'm prepared for. I agree though, if that's what they do, it's a PR mistake.

I don't think it's totally implausible if they release on the 7th though, even if it's not likely.

Textbook DCS fan base. The developers are doing their darndest to deliver the absolute best product imaginable, the F-14 sim to end all F-14 sims, and this is what you have to say? You're going to get angry?

Do us all a favor - go on Steam, buy Fleet Defender and pretend you never heard about DCS: F-14.

Any more Weeks :P

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

Textbook DCS fan base. The developers are doing their darndest to deliver the absolute best product imaginable, the F-14 sim to end all F-14 sims, and this is what you have to say? You're going to get angry?

Do us all a favor - go on Steam, buy Fleet Defender and pretend you never heard about DCS: F-14.

You appear to be a text book fan boy. Totally misrepresenting anyone who says something critical. I expect few doubt the developers are working hard, but that doesn't mean they're beyond making PR mistakes. Depending on what happens in 2 weeks they may have made an unnecessary one.

You really seem to miss my point. I am saying it's a mistake that they hype it up unless it's a release date. Hyping up a date that will only show a five minute video and another date is a very bad idea. And if this is the plan, I wish they'd tell us beforehand so the disappointment won't be as big for all those that are really looking forward to this module.

I may get angry if the hype date is just the release of another date because I know that is the absolute worst kind of publicity this sim can have. I am not getting angry because the F-14 has taken a long time. I didn't post anything last year when the 2017 promise was thoroughly broken, because I know these things can happen in dev.

But when you advertise a specific date with a full screen countdown on the website with the outline of an F-14, direct "baby" reference in the text to the F-14... and everything, the hype train is set for maximum speed. Well, then it better be early access on that very date, or people will be disappointed.

Bad publicity is the worst enemy of the community's continued growth. Growth is important so we can get even more great modules in the future. If DCS and/or its third party devs gets famous for multi-year delays and hype trains derailing over and over, then that is a very bad thing.

Pointing out obvious PR blunders is not because I disrespect the hard work that has been put into the F-14. Quite the contrary. I don't want all that hard work to get tainted by a hype train that gets out of control and causes Reddit to explode in anti-DCS rants once the reality of Oct 7 is revealed.

Why you feel you have to go all ad hominem and try to command me to leave the DCS community and play some random game on Steam, just because I point out that this is bad PR... well, that is beyond me. Who made you the arbiter of the forum?

PS: Then again, maybe my fears are unfounded and Oct 7 will see early access open and everybody will be happy. I hope I am wrong.

Edit: Language/spelling

Edited by yngvef

You appear to be a text book fan boy. Totally misrepresenting anyone who says something critical. I expect few doubt the developers are working hard, but that doesn't mean they're beyond making PR mistakes. Depending on what happens in 2 weeks they may have made an unnecessary one.

You really seem to miss my point. I am saying it's a mistake that they hype it up unless it's a release date. Hyping up a date that will only show a five minute video and another date is a very bad idea. And if this is the plan, I wish they'd tell us beforehand so the disappointment won't be as big for all those that are really looking forward to this module.

I may get angry if the hype date is just the release of another date because I know that is the absolute worst kind of publicity this sim can have. I am not getting angry because the F-14 has taken a long time. I didn't post anything last year when the 2017 promise was thoroughly broken, because I know these things can happen in dev.

But when you advertise a specific date with a full screen countdown on the website with the outline of an F-14, direct "baby" reference in the text to the F-14... and everything, the hype train is set for maximum speed. Well, then it better be early access on that very date, or people will be disappointed.

Bad publicity is the worst enemy of the community's continued growth. Growth is important so we can get even more great modules in the future. If DCS and/or its third party devs gets famous for multi-year delays and hype trains derailing over and over, then that is a very bad thing.

Pointing out obvious PR blunders is not because I disrespect the hard work that has been put into the F-14. Quite the contrary. I don't want all that hard work to get tainted by a hype train that gets out of control and causes Reddit to explode in anti-DCS rants once the reality of Oct 7 is revealed.

Why you feel you have to go all ad hominem and try to command me to leave the DCS community and play some random game on Steam, just because I point out that this is bad PR... well, that is beyond me. Who made you the arbiter of the forum?

PS: Then again, maybe my fears are unfounded and Oct 7 will see early access open and everybody will be happy. I hope I am wrong.

Edit: Language/spelling

To save space, I'm going to address both of you at once.

The way I see it, the devs are constantly between a rock and a hard place. They're under pressure from you, the players, to deliver the product on timeline of your convenience. If they're not able to do so, then they still have to satisfy your insatiable desire for progress. But they can never seem to satisfy anyone, because nothing less than a totally perfect release sooner rather than later seems to be acceptable for the DCS fan base. Do you see the contradiction here?

Now, imagine if DCS took up your suggestion and simply never reported any news or engaged in a little hype-train every now and then. You think the fans would remain silent? Of course not. They'd be rabble-rousing all year long about why it's taking so long and if we're ever going to see any progress. The devs have no choice but deliver updates and hype things up a bit every once in a while just to assuage the fans. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's enough.

Remember, DCS isn't developed the same way other games are by big studios. Slow-and-steady really is their mantra, due to the logistical realities of their development environment and their emphasis on fidelity. The fact is, it's going to get done when it gets done, so unless you have some big money invested into the project, there's absolutely nothing to get upset over, no matter how "disappointing" the October 7 announcement may be.

To save space, I'm going to address both of you at once.

The way I see it, the devs are constantly between a rock and a hard place. They're under pressure from you, the players, to deliver the product on timeline of your convenience. If they're not able to do so, then they still have to satisfy your insatiable desire for progress. But they can never seem to satisfy anyone, because nothing less than a totally perfect release sooner rather than later seems to be acceptable for the DCS fan base. Do you see the contradiction here?

Now, imagine if DCS took up your suggestion and simply never reported any news or engaged in a little hype-train every now and then. You think the fans would remain silent? Of course not. They'd be rabble-rousing all year long about why it's taking so long and if we're ever going to see any progress. The devs have no choice but deliver updates and hype things up a bit every once in a while just to assuage the fans. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's enough.

Remember, DCS isn't developed the same way other games are by big studios. Slow-and-steady really is their mantra, due to the logistical realities of their development environment and their emphasis on fidelity. The fact is, it's going to get done when it gets done, so unless you have some big money invested into the project, there's absolutely nothing to get upset over, no matter how "disappointing" the October 7 announcement may be.

I think people do need to remember that this is a business that developers run with love and care, many of the modules that were developed and are in the making take many years to complete and an uncountable amount of man hours that i'm sure even the devs could not count.

The combat sim market is not a large one so i can appreciate heatblur wanting to push a 95% complete module on release then a buggy broken one a year earlier. as you mentioned bad PR is mostly what halts the growth of DCS and i believe to an extent the Harrier is suffering by it right now (not that i'm sure why, seems alright to me).

The worst offender is the mig 21 which is just so broken, now with that said, would you rather a module that works when you prepurchase or buy in alpha release, or buy a known semi broken module that is receiving little love (at least on the outside).

I think everyone needs to take a step back and appreciate the heatblur is even communicating with us about their various activities and technologies and are being upfront about their intentions. So everyone hold you horses and wait till the 7th, i'm sure what we will see will not disappoint, release or not!

I have great hope for 7th october because it would be a very good anniversary gift for me (i'm born 11th) :music_whistling: but mainly because I was really surprised by Viggen when it was launched and I hope it will be the same for Tomcat :thumbup:

I used to be an eternal optimist :)

[/url]All known Dynamic Campaign Engine Campaigns

Last DCE news : Crisis in PG - Blue version

<------ over here is my birth date over here is the day I die ------>>

I need that release or pre-purchase to fall somewhere in between that.

(pre-purchase is a dumb word. how can you purchase something before you purchase it?) :)

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

IIRC the Heatblur guys mentioned in the Q&A during the SATAL event that it will be some kind of reveal stream, but definitely not a release. So you might want to manage your expectations accordingly.

Q&A starts around 2:37:00

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

I think people do need to remember that this is a business that developers run with love and care, many of the modules that were developed and are in the making take many years to complete and an uncountable amount of man hours that i'm sure even the devs could not count.

The combat sim market is not a large one so i can appreciate heatblur wanting to push a 95% complete module on release then a buggy broken one a year earlier. as you mentioned bad PR is mostly what halts the growth of DCS and i believe to an extent the Harrier is suffering by it right now (not that i'm sure why, seems alright to me).

The worst offender is the mig 21 which is just so broken, now with that said, would you rather a module that works when you prepurchase or buy in alpha release, or buy a known semi broken module that is receiving little love (at least on the outside).

I think everyone needs to take a step back and appreciate the heatblur is even communicating with us about their various activities and technologies and are being upfront about their intentions. So everyone hold you horses and wait till the 7th, i'm sure what we will see will not disappoint, release or not!

That's all I'm saying, albeit more bluntly. ED is going to lengths no other simulation developer has ever gone. Very little in the way of trade-offs; the aircraft they simulate is pretty much the aircraft IRL. This takes time and a level of expertise that, sometimes, can only be acquired through trial-and-error.