Republic F-105 - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
robert.clark251

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkellytx View Post
There's enough performance and aero data sitting out there to create a viable flight model. Currently on my hard drive I have multiple performance annexes and many wind tunnel reports. Republic leaned heavily on NASA in the 50's and those reports are all public domain. One of those NASA reports has the full 6 DOF equations of motion for the A/C in 3 configurations as well as the control laws for the stability augmentation system. I contend someone could build a viable flight model and the -1 will give you most of the systems.

Now, since this is dCs, the difficult part is finding the weapons' manuals, especially given that it was intended as a nuclear delivery platform... I've yet to see any of the -34's easily available online, now if anyone has one to share...

I also am a big Thud fan, if it weren't for the day job I might just relapse to my Aero Eng roots and prior flight test experience to work some of the flight model stuff...

After spending time in the performance indices the Thud wasn't that bad of a fighter for the time...Most of the poor performance I believe is attributable to the manpower/personnel policies the Thud left enough potential improvements on the table to make the "what if" worth thinking about...
Well my point is made! mkellytx, you are who the Devs should be looking toward if this module ever makes the list. I hope third party devs are reading this board. If not, I should encourage everybody reading this post, if you want the Thud to become reality, start telling the Devs we have a board members with the information and experience to make it happen.

Mkellytx, just a suggestion, but maybe drop Razbam, Heatblur, and ED a line and let them know what you got if they are interested. I live in the DFW metroplex in TX and have access to a static model if they wanted to do some photogrammetry of the aircraft, depending on the model. I am not sure how to start a pole, but it might be worth a go to vote and see how many people would be interested in bringing her to DCS. What are your thoughts?

Here are a couple photos of the 105F model at the museum here. She needs a little TLC

Last edited by robert.clark251; 09-14-2018 at 03:49 PM.
robert.clark251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #12
Jester986

The more Vietnam era aircraft the better. It's much more interesting to fly and fight something analog rather than learning the computer systems.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:12 AM   #13
robert.clark251

I would have to agree. I am looking forward to more Vietnam era aviation, especially the Helos. With new Naval units on the horizon, it would be amazing to see maybe the USS Constellation (my dad served on board) and Navy helos such as the SH-2 Sea Sprite, SH-3 Sea King, and H-46 Sea Knight.

All great Helos that would bring another chapter to naval aviation for DCS. Dont get me wrong, I would love to see the SH-60 make it in, but for classification sake and documentation, I think these would be good starters.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
Cap'n kamikaze

This would be a day one buy.
Cap'n kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #15
joey45
Veteran

Got some 105 and other aircraft stuff here http://aviation.watergeek.eu/
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
Please send all hate mail to No11
V0.99 of my UK Yak-52 is now available in the user files..
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #16
robert.clark251

I know the third party Devs and Eagle have their hands full, but it would seem we have some good dudes on this forum here that could contribute substantially to the creation of an F-105. Maybe if we start a poll or start dropping lines with the Devs about this, they might take it into consideration. Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #17
mkellytx

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.clark251 View Post
Well my point is made! mkellytx, you are who the Devs should be looking toward if this module ever makes the list. I hope third party devs are reading this board. If not, I should encourage everybody reading this post, if you want the Thud to become reality, start telling the Devs we have a board members with the information and experience to make it happen.

Mkellytx, just a suggestion, but maybe drop Razbam, Heatblur, and ED a line and let them know what you got if they are interested. I live in the DFW metroplex in TX and have access to a static model if they wanted to do some photogrammetry of the aircraft, depending on the model. I am not sure how to start a pole, but it might be worth a go to vote and see how many people would be interested in bringing her to DCS. What are your thoughts?
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm just a recovering flight test engineer with a knack for aviation history sprinkled with some occasional stick and rudder time. My current obligations wouldn't permit me to spend the time necessary to develop a proper flight model and my coding skills are positively dreadful as I haven't written a program since grad school almost 20 years ago.

That said, here's what I meant by potential left on the table

Just as a comparison here are some stats for this and other contemporary fighters and the D

(1) Zero-lift drag coefficient: 0.0133; Aspect ratio: 3.4; Wing loading: 77.3 lb/ft² (377.6 kg/m²); Thrust/weight: 0.62; Lift-to-drag ratio: 12.8

(2) Zero-lift drag coefficient: 0.0130; Aspect ratio: 3.76; Wing loading: 72.1 lb/ft² (352 kg/m²); Thrust/weight: 0.55; Lift-to-drag ratio: 13.9

(3) Aspect ratio: 2.77; Wing loading: 78 lb/sq ft (380 kg/m2); Thrust/weight: 0.86 lbf/lb (0.0084 kN/kg) at loaded weight; Lift-to-drag: 8.58

(4) Zero-lift drag coefficient: 0.0173; Aspect ratio: 3.16; Wing loading: 93 lb/ft² (452 kg/m²); Thrust/weight: 0.74; Lift-to-drag ratio: 10.4

(5) Zero-lift drag coefficient: 0.0175; Aspect ratio: 3.69; Wing loading: 83 lb/ft² (452 kg/m²); Thrust/weight: 0.86; Lift-to-drag ratio: 12.6

Spoiler:
(1) F-8E
(2) F-100D
(3) F-4E
(4) F-105D
(5) F-105 with extended wings and J75 B-24 engine rated at 30,000 lb thrust, BTW Republic offered the British a F-105D with an Olympus from the TR2 rated at 34,200 lb thrust, T/W would go to 0.98

Last edited by mkellytx; 09-19-2018 at 04:55 AM.
mkellytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #18
zhukov032186

Static models and photos are easy to come by, and random flight manuals can often be Googled, yes. Thet need much more specific data than what's going to be found in random internet and wiki searches or at your local museum.
I do solemnly swear to strafe every pilot I shoot down, destructible or not, circumstances permitting, because reasonz. Opponents are advised to assume the position upon landing, or preferably, while still in the air.

Last edited by zhukov032186; 09-19-2018 at 11:58 AM.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #19
ponhard

F-105 Walkaround
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQy5IFszzQ

Windows 10 Pro - Asus Z370 Prime A - i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz - 32 GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX 1080 - Oculus Rift CV1 - HOTAS Warthog - CH Pro Pedals

Puukko - Kossu - HK Sininen Lenkki
ponhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #20
Lixma 06

The less MFDs the better.
Lixma 06 is offline   Reply With Quote