DCS: AH-1S Huey Cobra - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #21
Proof

Chizh Posted this in the Russian side of the forums, when asked why the AH-1S:

Quote:
Cobra AH-1S is much more consistent with UH-1H and is easier for us to develop. There are purely economic reasons. This does not exclude, if successful, the development and later modifications.
(google translated)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...ostcount=13900

I just hope we see the AH-1W at some point in the future.
Proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #22
Stratos

"S" was the variant used by Israel, right? That includes combat ops in the Bekaa valley and all Lebanon in 1982. Hope it came with a 20mm gun.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #23
Flagrum
Veteran

What kind of chin turret does the S have?

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
lemoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
What kind of chin turret does the S have?

7.62 minigun
lemoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #25
JLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof View Post
Chizh Posted this in the Russian side of the forums, when asked why the AH-1S:
Quote:
Cobra AH-1S is much more consistent with UH-1H and is easier for us to develop. There are purely economic reasons. This does not exclude, if successful, the development and later modifications.
(google translated) https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...ostcount=13900
I just hope we see the AH-1W at some point in the future.
I'm not surprised as I mentioned above but IMHO it's unlikely we'll ever see a Whiskey if they've decided to go with the Sierra.

DCS development (understandably) takes a very long time. Just look at how long it takes for products to get out of beta (early access). It's often years before they are complete. With all the Hornet work, they still haven't even had the time/resources to get back to the Huey yet.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. A new DCS Cobra module is very exciting! A second DCS SuperCobra module is less exciting when there is already one available.

So, from a business/economics perspective, one Cobra module makes sense. But two Cobra modules (or 1½ if they "upgrade" at at discounted price) probably not so much. Which is why I was so hopeful that this version would be my beloved Whiskey.

Of course yes, anything is "possible" just IMHO not very probable. That's ok. But it's probably best if we just come to terms with the Sierra version rather than holding out hope for the Whiskey.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #26
Lucas_From_Hell

I like the AH-1S much more. I find older variants are usually more elegant and interesting to fly with, and they fit many more scenarios since they are present in a number of inventories.
Lucas_From_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #27
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoen View Post
7.62 minigun

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #28
robert.clark251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
This made me laugh so hard! Like a kid who did not get his way. LOL
robert.clark251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #29
Cytt0rak

Yeah they are definitely not going to develop something other than -1S they would have already made the other variants of their successful planes if that was true. Tbh -1S is not going to fit any combat scenarios as its not a Vietnam bird or was used in Gulf Wars. Would have rather -1J or -1G more.
Cytt0rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #30
Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLX View Post
I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. A new DCS Cobra module is very exciting! A second DCS SuperCobra module is less exciting when there is already one available.

So, from a business/economics perspective, one Cobra module makes sense. But two Cobra modules (or 1½ if they "upgrade" at at discounted price) probably not so much. Which is why I was so hopeful that this version would be my beloved Whiskey.

Of course yes, anything is "possible" just IMHO not very probable. That's ok. But it's probably best if we just come to terms with the Sierra version rather than holding out hope for the Whiskey.

I suspect you are right, and we will probably never see it if they do stick to their guns and do the Sierra. A little part of me will continue to remain hopeful though.

Last edited by Proof; 06-02-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Proof is offline   Reply With Quote