Match F/A-18C and A-10C GPS coordinates systems

John-John

hello :)

Maybe this has been asked already, but I didn't find any answer to my question. I'm flying on the Hornet and a friend of mine just started flying on the Warthog for a couple days. We've been training with laser sharing throught LSS and it's working flawlessly, but when it's coming to GPS guided bombs, there's no way we can make our GPS coordinates systems match.

He has coordinates such as N42°05.419 E043°46.620 and mine are like N42°05'25.1" E43°46'37.2"

Is there a way we can share the same coordinates system since we're both flying on US aircrafts or do we have to use an external "convertor" ?

Thanks by advance for your inputs :)

Best regards,

The Hornet currently has the ability to use Degrees-Decimal-Minutes (DDM) and Degrees-Minutes-Seconds (DMS), both with the PRECISE option that adds decimal-seconds to DMS and two additional decimal places to DDM. The Hornet will eventually gain the ability to use MGRS once the GRID system is implemented.

The Warthog has the ability to use DDM (up to three decimal places) and MGRS in the CDU, so at the moment your best bet is to use Degrees-Decimal-Minutes to share locations.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

The Hornet currently has the ability to use Degrees-Decimal-Minutes (DDM) and Degrees-Minutes-Seconds (DMS), both with the PRECISE option that adds decimal-seconds to DMS and two additional decimal places to DDM. The Hornet will eventually gain the ability to use MGRS once the GRID system is implemented.

The Warthog has the ability to use DDM (up to three decimal places) and MGRS in the CDU, so at the moment your best bet is to use Degrees-Decimal-Minutes to share locations.

This is what I call a clear answer :) Thanks a lot ! I'll look into the Hornet user manual to seek how I can change how my coordinates are displayed and will ask my friend to do the same for his aircraft :)

Thanks again !

Best regards,

hey again !

well i'm a little embarassed, I've search in the hornet user manual and in chuck's guide, and didn't find the way to type any DDM format gps coordinates for my JDAM/JSOW

Does it happen on the UFC, the DDIs, or somewhere else ?

could anyone provide or point me to a very quick tutorial, i'd be much obliged :)

best regards,

In the settings of DCS (game play?) there is a selection to allow for the different DDM/DMS settings. Then, in the FA-18, I think on the HSI DATA page you must select the format.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Right now you can only input coordinates into a JDAM/JSOW in DMS format for PP targets. However, you could make a waypoint in DDM format and use WPDSG for a JDAM/JSOW in TOO mode.

The Hornet's coordinate format can be switched on the HSI->DATA->A/C subpage with PB15 (options will be LATLN DCML for DDM and LATLN SEC for DMS). Just remember the PRECISE format option will be on the HSI->DATA->WYPT subpage on PB19.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

how are we gonna use MGRS on hornet ? We dont have characters just a few of them and numbers.

The HSI will show a grid with the grid IDs around a reference position. We will be using the TDC to "click" on a grid and then enter the numbers.