Night flying in 2.5.6 is a big downgrade!

rdibley

+1000

Forget, He is a big troll.

I'm not a troll, guys. You just don't agree with me.

When I read this update: "We have worked hard to increase the range and visibility of lights to enhance the night flying experience. We know that it is far from perfect and will continue to improve the look and feel at night." I was really looking forward to trying it out. When I did, it didn't look right. I was disappointed. I adjusted the gamma and it looks better, but they're not there yet. As they said, they will continue to improve the look and feel at night, and I'm giving feedback and hoping for the best.

I just want it to look realistic. I want it to look the same as when you get in a plane (in real life) fly over a city at night and look out the window, even if that means that certain colors aren't going to look bright or things might be hard to see.

Regarding the runway lights. I'm not talking about the runway lighting, but the taxi lights. They're dim, they're blue, and aren't visible 8 miles out. At least, not like they are currently represented in the game.

I tried a night flight in VR with complete cloud cover at about 2300 hrs. The clouds were bright white and the ground was almost completely black. It was unflyable. When I tried to turn on the NVGs, the view was so oversaturated that it almost blinded me (HP Reverb). While I admit that the ground lighting and airport lighting does look beautiful, there seems to be some serious issues with how clouds are illuminated or how they are reflecting light.

I never really had an issue in the prior versions using NVGs to fly in darkness but with the new OB, I can't see flying night missions in its current state.

I had a similar issue with NVG - you just need to adjust its gain control down

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I cant believe theere is someone complaining about a thing which never worked before and which is now AWESOME.

@OP : your claims are completely ridisculous and nonsense.

There's always some supernatural ones who can even read at night. I'm not one of them, can't even see stars... Prior to the changes of 2.5.6, 2.5 at night was like flying completely blindfolded and airport lights literally just popped up when you stood directly on top of them.

It seems you might miss an important factor here why there might be very different opinions about this.

When people are judging lighting/colors or black levels in a computer game should consider that these factors are also hugely affected by the technology they use .

LCD,LED,OLED,Plasma,CRT? TV or Monitor? What brand? What quality range? Not to mention what custom user settings are set sharpness/brightness/contrast/gamma/black levels/auto color or motion correcting features/dynamic contrast/etc.

These all can be a huge factor how a lighting and colors can look.

Most importantly piece of hardware that may differ a lot is the good old Eyeball Mk.I. Another thing is your room setup when still flying on a screen. Is it lit to save strain on the eyes? Then you're blind in the dark. Is it completely dark? Then you'll even be blinded by a single blue Power LED. Or the things in the cockpit...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I tried a night flight in VR with complete cloud cover at about 2300 hrs. The clouds were bright white and the ground was almost completely black. It was unflyable. When I tried to turn on the NVGs, the view was so oversaturated that it almost blinded me (HP Reverb). While I admit that the ground lighting and airport lighting does look beautiful, there seems to be some serious issues with how clouds are illuminated or how they are reflecting light.

I never really had an issue in the prior versions using NVGs to fly in darkness but with the new OB, I can't see flying night missions in its current state.

I just flew two night missions, one in the F/A-18C and the other in the A10C. Was great for me. VR user. Gamma set to 1.5 . NVGs are certainly needed at some points of the mission, as most likely the case would be IRL, and adjusting the intensity of the NVGs is a must when you are transitioning from light saturated areas to non. It's certainly not perfect yet, and not sure anyone would have expected it to be in this early stage, but much much better than it was in 2.5.5, at least in my opinion.

I had a similar issue with NVG - you just need to adjust its gain control down

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

^^ Maybe this is what the issue was for you Zlin? ^^

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

rdibley - Maybe you love in a city where you never get to see a night without light pollution - do you fly often at night IRL ?

On a clear night under a full moon, it is light - you cast a sharp shadow, you can (just) see colours, but the shadows are deep.

Cities do glow at night - they can be seen form space :-)

There is more difference now at night between what is light and what is dark

That's a good thing.

Edit - Here - my photo of Guangzhou at night - looks like Tron to me...

That is one hell of a photo sir.

I like the new lights.

Personnally only thing i find unrealistic is city lights are very diffused.They have to be much more focused and crisp.Like in your photo.

But it's very curious why nobody mentions the lack of real sky when the subject is lighting?

There is no cloud layer in DCS, no pollution/dust-fog ( please don't tell me they are there, you know what i mean)

We have cloud cover but It's basically on and off. There is the moon light and you have no moon light.That's it!

When these things are missing the rest is pretty redundant.It will never look ''real''..

That is one hell of a photo sir.

I like the new lights.

Personnally only thing i find unrealistic is city lights are very diffused.They have to be much more focused and crisp.Like in your photo.

But it's very curious why nobody mentions the lack of real sky when the subject is lighting?

There is no cloud layer in DCS, no pollution/dust-fog ( please don't tell me they are there, you know what i mean)

We have cloud cover but It's basically on and off. There is the moon light and you have no moon light.That's it!

When these things are missing the rest is pretty redundant.It will never look ''real''..

Agreed. I think this is the main issue. DCS needs to have a realistic weather simulation asap.

The new lighting has been overcooked as far as runway lights and navigation lights on the aircraft are concerned. They're just far too bright and dominant, needs reducing significantly to bring it back to realistic levels. In other areas it is an improvement to some extent. I appreciate these things are hard to get right and I'm confident ED will address it in the coming weeks no doubt.